Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired NBA star Tim Hardaway "Hates Gay People"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Retired NBA star Tim Hardaway "Hates Gay People"

And let the friggin' media frenzy begin. This is all we will hear about for months.
    Retired NBA star Hardaway says he hates 'gay people'
    ESPN.com news services

Former Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway said on a radio show Wednesday afternoon that he would not want a gay player on his team.

Tim Hardaway
    Hardaway

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said. "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

Hardaway was a guest of Miami Herald columnist Dan Le Betard on the Miami radio show Sports Talk 790 and was asked how he would deal with a gay teammate. When asked if he would accept an active player's coming out, such as that of retired NBA center John Amaechi, Hardaway replied: "First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team.

"And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that's right. And you know I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room. I wouldn't even be a part of that," he said.

Hardaway later apologized for the remarks during a telephone interview with Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami.

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

Hardaway, who was in Las Vegas on Tuesday at a pre-All Star Game NBA Cares outreach event, was both a coach and player for the ABA's Florida Pit Bulls in 2006.

Hardaway played for five NBA teams from 1990-2003 and was a five-time All-Star. He finished with averages of 17.7 points and 8.2 assists.
    This is why people are afraid to come out while they are playing..they would never make it.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL @ Hardaway working for "NBA Cares"!

"You Gays are the best people we've ever had the pleasure of standing 50 feet close to! "

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be the 1st to admit in this thread that I do too. I wouldn't say I hate them, but I don't like being around them and they make me very uncomfortable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive
    LOL @ Hardaway working for "NBA Cares"!

"You Gays are the best people we've ever had the pleasure of standing 50 feet close to! "
    I'm just shocked..because Tim didn't seem like that sort of guy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet
    I'll be the 1st to admit in this thread that I do too. I wouldn't say I hate them, but I don't like being around them and they make me very uncomfortable.
    why? are you scared they're gonna hit on and overpower you or something?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vilmatime51
    why? are you scared they're gonna hit on and overpower you or something?
    Not to get uppity about it because that's not how I'm trying be, but spare me the psycho-babble crap. I don't know why am, I just am. Are you afraid of snakes or anything, I'm sure there is something that just irks you for no reason other than it just irks you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The video is the first one on ESPN motion on ESPN.com. Pretty good watch/listen. He means business when he is saying it. The apology is PR crap..which shouldn't be a shock.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why? They're normal people, they just f*ck dudes.

I feel like most guys are afraid of being around gay dudes because they think the gay dudes want to f*ck them, like they're checking them out. What they need to realize is that gay dudes are totally unattracted to like 89% of straight dudes. Most of us are too gross, hairy, fat, etc. for them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to get uppity about it because that's not how I'm trying be, but spare me the psycho-babble crap. I don't know why am, I just am. Are you afraid of snakes or anything, I'm sure there is something that just irks you for no reason other than it just irks you.
    just never understood how someone could be deathly afraid of gay people..guess its a personal thing

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin

I feel like most guys are afraid of being around gay dudes because they think the gay dudes want to **** them, like they're checking them out. What they need to realize is that gay dudes are totally unattracted to like 89% of straight dudes. Most of us are too gross, hairy, fat, etc. for them.
    Like I said before, they just do, I don't know why. I know they are normal people. I don't like hanging around crank heads either, they are normal people too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like most guys are afraid of being around gay dudes because they think the gay dudes want to f*ck them, like they're checking them out. What they need to realize is that gay dudes are totally unattracted to like 89% of straight dudes. Most of us are too gross, hairy, fat, etc. for them.
    exactly nothing to be afraid of, especially since gays are usually the weaker, non-agressive type who wont overpower you in any way...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have a problem with them..as long as they don't try to convert me or hit on me.

They are people just like the rest of us, and shouldn't be treated any different. Obviously the same can be said about race, etc.

America really needs to learn to mind their business, and concentrate on what concerns them..not other people's lives.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vilmatime51
    exactly nothing to be afraid of, especially since gays are usually the weaker, non-agressive type who wont overpower you in any way...

I guess you don't work in the corporate world.. Worked with some CEO's, CFO's and Directors (men and woman that are gay) that are more aggressive than a cop trying to get a donut

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So your afraid Gay people with bit you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but did he write a book? At least this dude might sell a few. Some guy that scored 6ppg that retired 3 yrs ago? Nope. I'm with Hawkeye on this one.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 02-15-2007 at 01:53 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsully
    So your afraid Gay people with bit you?
    Good try but that wasn't funny at all.
    Last edited by HawkeyeJet; 02-15-2007 at 01:42 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Classic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've got a lot of company out here with this one Hawkeye. They can't reproduce so they have to recruit. Gives me the creeps esp. the flaming ones. Biblically man with man or woman with woman is God's greatest abomination.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm...your post indicates a keen understanding of the gay point of view.

Are you in marketing?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of interesting opinions in this thread.

Out of curiosity, have any of you actually been friends with a gay person? At all?

It changes your opinion a little bit - they're regular guys. Grow up.