View Poll Results: Do you want the trade to happen?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i would do it in a heartbeat

41 42.71%
  • No, its a horrible trade

24 25.00%
  • this rumor trade is bogus

31 32.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you want the Vilma and #25 for Portis and #6 trade to happen?

Do you want the Vilma and #25 for Portis and #6 trade to happen?

i mean it is a no brainer. Vilma is a great 4-3 LB but average in the 3-4. Portis when healthy is a top 5 back. it is basic trading Vilma for Branch and Portis i hope we pull the trigger.

Where is this coming from?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin&theJets
    i mean it is a no brainer. Vilma is a great 4-3 LB but average in the 3-4. Portis when healthy is a top 5 back. it is basic trading Vilma for Branch and Portis i hope we pull the trigger.
    How are you goign to say average. It was his first year in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    he was avarage in the 3-4 in his first year in the system.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Martin&theJets
    he was avarage in the 3-4 in his first year in the system.
    He was also the only starting LB without a sack..

Hall Of Fame
    Who said it was Portis? Everyone has been talking about Betts instead of Portis. It's not going to happen so why try...Redskins GM said something like...You don't pay all that money and whatever for someone like Portis and then trade him away, also his contract isn't too trade friendly either...

Also you don't trade Portis because a career backup had a decent season.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    I think if Vilma just adds a little weight he will be GREAT in the 3-4, he was already good in it last year and he was lighter and his first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69
    He was also the only starting LB without a sack..
    Sav, he is an inside LB in a 3-4, not exactly a pass rushing position.

In fact, seeing as the Jets didn't use Vilma as a blitzer very often even in the 4-3 and most of the blitzes the Jets ran from the inside were with safeties this past year, Vilma's sack total is absolutely meaningless to me.

All Pro
    I thought the "rumor" included Betts and not Portis? Did I miss something?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Sav, he is an inside LB in a 3-4, not exactly a pass rushing position.

In fact, seeing as the Jets didn't use Vilma as a blitzer very often even in the 4-3 and most of the blitzes the Jets ran from the inside were with safeties this past year, Vilma's sack total is absolutely meaningless to me.
    I agree Klecko but he is the fastest LB just seemed strange to me..

Quote Originally Posted by CMCorbet
    I thought the "rumor" included Betts and not Portis? Did I miss something?
    Good job using the quotes around the word rumor.

This isn't even a rumor, it's a BS story posted by a Skins fan on a message board about his alleged conversation with George "Sports Machine" Michael.

I will never understand why during a critical moment in our playoff game at New England when Vilma had a clear shot to slam Brady in the back and cause a fumble he went for the ball? Then after the game he admitted to not going for the sack just the ball. If he sacks Brady there it could have been a big momentum shift in the game. That was a horrible decision and play on his part. I thought Vilmas game was that he is supposed to be a cerebral player?

All Pro
    If it was just Vilma that was the issue on D, I'd consider it. But there are more issues than just him, so I'm not in the least bit interested in this trade.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by harryooo
    I will never understand why during a critical moment in our playoff game at New England when Vilma had a clear shot to slam Brady in the back and cause a fumble he went for the ball? Then after the game he admitted to not going for the sack just the ball. If he sacks Brady there it could have been a big momentum shift in the game. That was a horrible decision and play on his part. I thought Vilmas game was that he is supposed to be a cerebral player?
    Good point. Trade him NOW!!!

All Pro

This isn't even a rumor, it's a BS story posted by a Skins fan on a message board about his alleged conversation with George "Sports Machine" Michael.
    Exactly... and this BS story included Betts and not Portis if my memory serves correct. I like how it is talked about with more credibility with every thread.

george michael of wham?

or gene simmons of kiss?

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    ... for Portis and the #6 overall.... hell yeah.....

... but I thought, that offer in question(rumor), was for Betts and the #6 overall pick....

... In that case .... NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69
    I agree Klecko but he is the fastest LB just seemed strange to me..
    Vilma's biggest asset is his lateral speed. He is great from sideline-to-sideline, that is why he was such a good MLB in the 4-3. The coaching staff has either got to work to find a way to exploit that strength in the 3-4 or work with him on technique to be more effective in his current role, or put him on the outside and unleash him ala LT.

I would love to see them switch Hobson inside, where his strength as a tackler can best be used and put Vilma on the outside behind Ellis where his lateral speed can shut down outside running plays and screens and he can go after the QB more.

In my opinion Vilma choked big time in a big game.

Personally? I would do it.

As for the Jets?

If they feel that Betts is a starting-calibur RB, especially in our RBBC system, and a good compliment to Leon Washington, then I think they would definitely be up for it. There's some excellent Top-10 talent (Branch, Anderson, Adams) that we could certainly use that would make the trade even more valuable.