Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT:Big Islanders Trade

Hall Of Fame

OT:Big Islanders Trade

Jason Blake doesn't appear to have been dealt.

The Islanders are putting the finishing touches on a deal for Edmonton captain Ryan Smyth. In exchange, the Oilers will receive former Islanders' first-round draft picks Ryan O'Marra and Robert Nilsson plus the Islanders' first-round pick this year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y
    Jason Blake doesn't appear to have been dealt.

The Islanders are putting the finishing touches on a deal for Edmonton captain Ryan Smyth. In exchange, the Oilers will receive former Islanders' first-round draft picks Ryan O'Marra and Robert Nilsson plus the Islanders' first-round pick this year.
    Sounds really big. Are O'Marra and Nilsson really big prospects?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine51
    Sounds really big. Are O'Marra and Nilsson really big prospects?
    First rounders. They key is signing Smyth long term. I'd hate to lose three players for a guy who just plays out the season here.

thats pretty big for the islanders they also acquired zednik from the capitols

they are trying hard to make that playoff run, they are going to be a tough team to beat now

Islanders love trading with Edmonton, thats for sure.

Smyth is a hell of a player. Garth Snow is definately gearing the roster up to try for that playoff run.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets69
    thats pretty big for the islanders they also acquired zednik from the capitols

they are trying hard to make that playoff run, they are going to be a tough team to beat now
    Yeah, but Blake will probably walk now. They should have got something for him.
    And I want to see Smyth locked up long term. I guarantee you Blake is pissed right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

As a long-time Rangers fan and a L.I. resident, this sucks. I endured many years of Islander-Mania in the 1980s and was enjoying the stasis of the last 10-15 years. Ah well, I can't expect them to stay down forever.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1
    As a long-time Rangers fan and a L.I. resident, this sucks. I endured many years of Islander-Mania in the 1980s and was enjoying the stasis of the last 10-15 years. Ah well, I can't expect them to stay down forever.
    Its good for the rest of the season anyway. Its a risk.

Its good for the rest of the season anyway. Its a risk.
    Blake is not part of the deal?

no blake is still on the team

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Al B Sure
    Blake is not part of the deal?
    Newsday says he isn't.

Newsday says he isn't.
    Trade Yashin for a new zamboni and keep Blake.

Hall Of Fame
    Suddenly, the streaking Islanders look like a serious threat in the Eastern Conference even though they enter tonight’s game against Philadelphia at the Coliseum in ninth place, one point out of playoff position. When Smyth gets here and Alexei Yashin returns to the lineup, the Islanders’ top line probably will be Smyth at left wing, Yashin in the middle and Blake at right wing.

Add that to the deal that put Richard Zednik on a line with Viktor Kozlov and Miro Satan, and remember that the third line of Mike Sillinger and wingers Trent Hunter and Andy Hilbert has been the team’s best, and you have a serious contender for the Stanley Cup playoffs.

All League
    Unless they sign Smyth, this trade is kinda really bad

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Nilsson was a wasted pick. We could have had Zach Parise on our team right now.

If we sign Smyth to an extension, Id like this deal a lot.

I don't know anything about O'Marra, but I don't trust the drafts from the Milbury years.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Nilsson was a wasted pick. We could have had Zach Parise on our team right now.

If we sign Smyth to an extension, Id like this deal a lot.

I don't know anything about O'Marra, but I don't trust the drafts from the Milbury years.
    Snow is a gunslinger!

For the rest of this year, and the possibility of the playoffs, the Islanders can now roll three solid lines out there.

If its a short-term rental and they dont sign him long term, its giving up a lot.

On the other hand, any time you can add a solid, character player and captain (at least captain with Edm) without giving up anyone from your current roster, thats not bad.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet
    For the rest of this year, and the possibility of the playoffs, the Islanders can now roll three solid lines out there.

If its a short-term rental and they dont sign him long term, its giving up a lot.

On the other hand, any time you can add a solid, character player and captain (at least captain with Edm) without giving up anyone from your current roster, thats not bad.
    If Blake walks and Smyth doesn't sign with Islanders, this will be exactly what people feared with the inexperienced Snow.

If Blake walks and Smyth doesn't sign with Islanders, this will be exactly what people feared with the inexperienced Snow.
    Its certainly a legit fear. Best case, you sign both somehow. But you have to at least sign one. Lose them both, and you've given up too much today.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet
    Its certainly a legit fear. Best case, you sign both somehow. But you have to at least sign one. Lose them both, and you've given up too much today.
    Smyth knows this and he can probably get whatever he wants from the Isles.