Thread: Oliver Perez rocked!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Oliver Perez rocked!!!!

Oliver Perez got rocked 4 runs in 2 innings in the Mets ST debut. Reason for some concern? or No worries its only spring training, these pitchers are not baseball ready yet?

I think a combo of both, but more of it him just not warm yet...

Discuss.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its the first spring training game No cause for worries.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say halfway to concern. Meaning if his next outing is the same I will be concerned.

On the plus side his damage wasn't due to walks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks about how his career has gone. Nothing to be concerned about. Did anyone actually expect him to do well?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of these guys are working on different things like mechanics and new pitches during ST so im not too worried.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24
    Most of these guys are working on different things like mechanics and new pitches during ST so im not too worried.
    Well it's not new pitches with Perez. Peterson said today that Maine and Perez aren't working on anything new because they don't need to. They just need to be more conistent with what they have.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    Well it's not new pitches with Perez. Peterson said today that Maine and Perez aren't working on anything new because they don't need to. They just need to be more conistent with what they have.
    just because you are not working on new pitches doesnt mean you arent experimenting with the way you pitch.........i really wouldnt put any stock into the first few weeks of spring training.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Man-O-Gold
    just because you are not working on new pitches doesnt mean you arent experimenting with the way you pitch.........i really wouldnt put any stock into the first few weeks of spring training.
    I know they are going to work with Perez mechanics because that is his weakness. I wasn't really arguing just mentioning he wasn't working on anything new. That said if Perez does struggle during his first few apperances of spring training it is going to be a concern because early in spring pitchers have the advantage. He can't be getting rocked before hitters even get their timing back.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know they are going to work with Perez mechanics because that is his weakness. I wasn't really arguing just mentioning he wasn't working on anything new. That said if Perez does struggle during his first few apperances of spring training it is going to be a concern because early in spring pitchers have the advantage. He can't be getting rocked before hitters even get their timing back.
    perez doesnt have a spot set in stone, he will have to pitch well if he wants to make it........hopefuly he picks it up soon...but i am not worried......yet

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was working on a slider.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I didn'tlike is is his fastball continues to be flat. Hitters were just sitting back waiting for it. At one time his pitch count was 25 strikes and only 10 balls. Sounds great but shows the hitters were not taking pitches.

I rather see some of the home grown prospect get that fifth spot....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it means much of anything, nor would I thought it meant much of anything if he looked good in this game. Personally, I don't see Perez having a good year though. But that is 100% to do with his season last year and 0% with this ST start.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not new pitches, but he threw almost entirely breaking pitches and wasn't throwing his fastball. I'd expect him to get rocked when only working with half an arsenal.