Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moneyball......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

moneyball......

anyone read it? i picked it up at the airoport but havent gotten to it yet....i did skim through and saw 2 pages of billy bean dogging Omar big time......basicaly making Omar look like a moron!!! WTF is his problem? not enough man love?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read it. Its interesting. He dogs a lot of GMs in there. Billy Beane definately has some interesting ideas. OBP and SLG and other sabermetric analysis being king, fielding competitive teams with a limited budget by finding undervalued players, that kind of thing.

Its interesting - I bet Billy Beane the GM would never have drafted Billy Beane the player

I thought Michael Lewis' other book, The Blind Side, about the evolution of the left tackle, was even better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read it a few years ago and thought it was excellent. I don't remember the Omar part exactly, but overall, you should definitely read the whole book.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i get that its a good book....but if what he says about omar is true then as a Mets fan........HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Man-O-Gold
    i get that its a good book....but if what he says about omar is true then as a Mets fan........HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM
    Yeah seriously, fire the bum!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well then I must ask, what exactly did he say about Omar?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    One of my favorite parts of the book was the "Trading Desk" chapter when Billy Beane is trying to talk Omar Minaya into asking Boston to throw Kevin Youkilis into the Cliff Floyd deal.

"You don't ask them for Youkilis. You just tell them Youkilis is in the deal. You just call them and tell them that without Youkilis they don't have a deal. Then hang up. I guarantee they call you right back and give you Youkilis. Omar: "Who is Youkilis?".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    he goes on for 2 pages about how omar was going to trade Cliff Floyd to the Red Sox for Rolando Arrojo and a South Korean pitcher named Seung-jun Song, so Billy calls up Omar and basicaly says that during the conversation Omar first sayd he liked Rolando Arrojo, it took Billy 2 minutes to make Omar change his mind(basicaly saying he is weak minded).......then he said Omar didnt know the name of the korean pitcher and called him Sing Song.

then Billy Bean tried to tell Omar to get the FAT 3RD BASEMAN from the Sox......Yukolis (who Omar knew nothing about).....and told Omar "he was just trying to get him another minor leaguer out of the deal"....somewhere in this thing Yukolis would end up n Oakland.

basically when you read it sounds like Omar is the classic dumbling idiot.......

now this was a while ago (the expo days) but if true i am troubled by reading this.......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    you're a mets fan.......are you troubled by this?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really could care less.

Proof is in the pudding, Omar is a good GM. Hard to be a GM and value prospects of a team that MLB was gonna contract.

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20030401/25319.html

When Minaya inquired about the number of positions he had to fill in the Expos administrative ranks, what he discovered flabbergasted him. A fax from Expos administrative assistant Marcia Schnaar told the tale in stark terms: Minaya had precisely six employees -- and dozens and dozens of vacancies. His response, Minaya says, was, "What is this? A joke? This has gotta be a mistake." Only then did Minaya realize that he'd taken over a team that had been gutted, stripped of its infrastructure. His entire staff consisted of two administrative assistants, a media relations director, the head trainer, a minor league pitching coach, and the assistant farm system director.
    Read this article on Omar.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really could care less.

Proof is in the pudding, Omar is a good GM. Hard to be a GM and value prospects of a team that MLB was gonna contract.

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20030401/25319.html

Read this article on Omar.
    great read.....thanks

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    he goes on for 2 pages about how omar was going to trade Cliff Floyd to the Red Sox for Rolando Arrojo and a South Korean pitcher named Seung-jun Song, so Billy calls up Omar and basicaly says that during the conversation Omar first sayd he liked Rolando Arrojo, it took Billy 2 minutes to make Omar change his mind(basicaly saying he is weak minded).......then he said Omar didnt know the name of the korean pitcher and called him Sing Song.

then Billy Bean tried to tell Omar to get the FAT 3RD BASEMAN from the Sox......Yukolis (who Omar knew nothing about).....and told Omar "he was just trying to get him another minor leaguer out of the deal"....somewhere in this thing Yukolis would end up n Oakland.

basically when you read it sounds like Omar is the classic dumbling idiot.......

now this was a while ago (the expo days) but if true i am troubled by reading this.......

It's not Omars fault it is clear here that Billy Beane is a jedi...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Should Omar know who Youkilis is? I didn't think Youk was spanish.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a mets fan if you are troubled by this. You must be one of those WFAN callers after every Mets loss, on how the Mets are finished!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way........I dont get everyones obsession with Billy Bean. Why because he wrote a book? Seriously, his team never wins in the post season, they have a flaw or 2 every year... The reason for their small sucess has been pitching, pitching, and umm pitching.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24
    Should Omar know who Youkilis is? I didn't think Youk was spanish.
    you must be kidding.......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way........I dont get everyones obsession with Billy Bean. Why because he wrote a book? Seriously, his team never wins in the post season, they have a flaw or 2 every year... The reason for their small sucess has been pitching, pitching, and umm pitching.
    Beane loses one big player every year and still puts a winning product every year in the AL against such powerhouse teams like the Angels, Yankees, Red Sox and recently the White Sox.

He has lost MVP's and Cy Young winners like Tejada, Giambi, Damon, Dye, Mulder, Hudson, Lilly, and Zito and still wins.

Winning in the playoffs is mostly getting hot at the right time and luck.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beane loses one big player every year and still puts a winning product every year in the AL against such powerhouse teams like the Angels, Yankees, Red Sox and recently the White Sox.

He has lost MVP's and Cy Young winners like Tejada, Giambi, Damon, Dye, Mulder, Hudson, Lilly, and Zito and still wins.

Winning in the playoffs is mostly getting hot at the right time and luck.
    Not exactly, although it seems that way lately.... If that the case the A's should have made it. They were red hot, the tigers were pretty cold actually.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I'm not sure if you know this, but you really should. Billy Beane did not ever write a book. He did not write Moneyball. Moneyball was written by Michael Lewis about the way the A's do business and since Billy Beane is the GM of the A's, he was a key figure in the book.

Billy Beane is obviously a fantastic GM. He continues to get his team into the playoffs despite having a very low payroll.

As for the pitching, who got a lot of those great pitchers? Who decided to draft Barry Zito in the top 10 when no other team thought he should go anywhere near that spot? Who traded Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson at the best possible time and got some very good, young, and cheap pitchers in return for them?

He also has had very good offenses in Oakland.

As for the playoffs, they are a crapshoot. Yes, a more talented team has a better chance of winning, but in a 3 out of 5 game series and 4 out of 7, anything can happen. We saw this just a few months ago with Cardinals, who were not nearly the best team in baseball, but still won the WS.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As for the Omar Minaya stuff, I'm sure it's true. Michael Lewis did not decide to make up the conversation. Maybe Minaya has improved since then, or maybe his skills as a GM are more along the lines of recruiting free agents to sign with the Mets. Of course, that isn't too difficult when management gives you the ability to sign these guys by offering them the most money.

I haven't seen a move by Minaya where I said, "Now that was a great move." Signing Beltran was easy given that the Mets were really the only team in on it once Houston was not, and the Mets offered, by far, the most money. Same thing with Pedro.

Actually, on second thought, he did a good job getting John Maine.