Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelfrey's nasty outing

Veteran

Pelfrey's nasty outing

2 ing 1 hit 0 runs 0 k's hit 94 on gun, working on slider and change to go along with fast ball and sinker
    10+ agme winner this year

the mets are stocked with live arms.....pelfrey, humber, vargas, mayne, perez......the list goes on....

i hope perez goes back to the 2004 oliver perez....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Humber got rocked tho, not that we were counting on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-O-Gold
    the mets are stocked with live arms.....pelfrey, humber, vargas, mayne, perez......the list goes on....

humber just melted today

As bad ass as pelfry is i don't want him to make the team out of ST as he only has so many innings he can throw.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    Humber got rocked tho, not that we were counting on him.
    Im not too worried. I still like him a lot.

Hall Of Fame
    To all you Mets Fans...This is Spring Training guys, relax. I know you guys (so am I) are anxious for the season to begin, but keep in mind these guys are rusty. Essentially this is exhibition Training camp.

Yankees are 4-0 with nearly flawless outings from the starters. That means jack ****. I almost laugh when I read articles that "Carl Pavano had a good outing" because it's pretty sad that when the guy makes baby steps guys are quick to praise it as a step in the right direction.

I had a friendly debate with Venom a few months ago, I still believe that the Mets have serious pitching issues. Don't get me wrong, the Yankees do too, and I think both clubs need pitching upgrades to make a run in the postseason. You guys all hear the Yankees say "Wang this" and "Wang that" but can you guys really argue that you won't miss Pedro and hope to God Tom Glavine defies time once again?

Well, I don't think the list does really go on, and I'm not sure what your definition of a "live arm" is. Vargas had trouble making bats miss last year and was horrendous. Maine certainly does not have a "live arm." He is a back end starter and a fine one at that. Perez had a live arm, and still does, but he's a project to say the least.

In the farm system, the Mets have Pelfrey and Humber as the two live arms. That's it.

Now if you want a team that is stocked with live arms, look at the Yankees. Hughes, Betances, Chamberlain, Clippard, Kennedy, Humberto Sanchez, Angel Reyes, along with relievers JB Cox, Kevin Whelan, and Mark Melancon.
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 03-05-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Well, I don't think the list does really go on, and I'm not sure what your definition of a "live arm" is. Vargas had trouble making bats miss last year and was horrendous. Maine certainly does not have a "live arm." He is a back end starter and a fine one at that. Perez had a live arm, and still does, but he's a project to say the least.

In the farm system, the Mets have Pelfrey and Humber as the two live arms. That's it.

Now if you want a team that is stocked with live arms, look at the Yankees. Hughes, Betances, Chamberlain, Clippard, Kennedy, Humberto Sanchez, Angel Reyes, along with relievers JB Cox, Kevin Whelan, and Mark Melancon.
    please spare me the yankee prapaganda.....take away hughes and the rest of that list is garbage.

The Mets have MUCH better young pitchers then the yankees do, it isnt close.

And BTW Maine has a MAJOR live arm.......you obviously havent seen him pitch.

Burgos, Vargas, Perez, Pelfrey, Humber, Maine ill even throw in sosa

you wont a better combination of young arms around......not to mention they all have ML experience AND that we have the mad scientist running the show.

you wont a better combination of young arms around......not to mention they all have ML experience AND that we have the mad scientist running the show.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/dWCr6-P0WsE

+Joe Smith

He'll be a good situational guy out of the pen.
    Last edited by j-rome; 03-05-2007 at 08:05 PM.

please spare me the yankee prapaganda.....take away hughes and the rest of that list is garbage.

Too bad because you cant take away Hughes.

screw the yankees..................there, i said it

Where's the laughing smiley face when you need one? Do you want me to actually go out and prove you wrong with tons of facts and a long post about the fact that, "take away hughes and the rest of that list is garbage" or do you want me to just guarantee you that you are completely wrong and then admit that you, in fact, were completely making up that comment and just hoping it was right - when in reality you had absolutely no idea? As of now, I won't spend the time to do that, but if you don't admit that to me, I'll be forced to.

As for the Mets having MUCH better young pitchers than the Yankees do, well that's just not true. The Yankees have the best farm system in baseball when just considering pitchers. Now, if you want to add in young pitchers that have been in the majors, the Mets will obviously closen the gap, but not by much as then you could include Chien-Ming Wang, the guy that came in 2nd in the AL in the Cy Young voting last year.

I've watched Maine pitch many times. In fact, I'd be willing to bet I watched him before any Met fan here as I saw him with the Orioles (and actually liked what I saw). I guess it depends on what you consider a "live" arm. Is it a guy that throws really hard? Is it a guy with ace potential? Is it a guy with great secondary stuff? You tell me. What I do know is that John Maine is, at best, a #3 starter, and more likely a #4. He's going to give up a lot of HR's in his career.

Burgos - yes has a very live arm. He's the definition of a live arm. But, he also gives up a TON of homeruns has bad control. He makes bats miss, yes, but those other things are not great for a late inning reliever.

I haven't seen nearly enough of Vargas to have an opinion on him, but his lack of K's last year - even in AAA - are not signs of a live arm or a good pitcher. I think you are seriously overrating him.

Perez I already said had a "live" arm. It's difficult with him as his velocity used to be great and is not as good anymore. He's had one really good season, but it just hasn't worked for him. Could he be good? Yeah, but chances are he's not going to be anything special. We'll see.

Pelfrey definitely has a live arm. He's the Mets top prospect for a reason. He should be good.

Humber is also a very solid pitching prospect.

That's very nice of you to "throw in" Sosa, but if you're telling me he has a "live" arm, then most pitchers in this league have a live arm, as he's not good. He's also only going to be, you know, 30 years old come late April of this year. But hell, if it's a Met pitcher, why not "throw him in" as another great, young pitcher that the Mets have. It gets funnier and funnier...
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 03-05-2007 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolJet
    Too bad because you cant take away Hughes.
    Don't say that. Take away Hughes and those are some excellent pitching prospects. I figured man-o-gold would at least be smart enough to say, "take away Hughes and Sanchez," but he obviously knows nothing about what he's talking about and just heard of Phil Hughes the other day and heard he was supposed to be good so he had to give that one. The fact that he's giving the likes of Jorge Sosa (I guess 29 years old still qualifies as young for him) as examples of good, young pitchers for the Mets, and then says that the Yankee pitching prospects besides Hughes are bad is so unbelievably hilarious that I don't know quite how to respond to such stupidity and obvious ignorance on the subject. I just don't know if I should waste my time responding to someone that obviously does not know baseball that well if these are his claims.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    screw the yankees..................there, i said it
    And amazingly, this is actually a much more well-thought out and smarter post than Man-O-Gold's previous one.

Hall Of Fame
    Man-o-gold, I don't believe i've ever seen a stat coming from you. For your sake, i'll spare what kind of "ML experience" you are touting in Oliver Perez, Ambroix Burgos, and Jorge Sosa. For goodness sake, Jesus Colome had 100+ mph heat, but he's still stuck in minor league systems, isn't he?

I'd LOVE for you to find a single reputable source such as Scout.com or Baseball America or Keith Law that backs up your statement that "the Mets have the best collection of young arms around" That's laughable.

In its current state, the Mets starting rotation is not going to get you past the 1st round in the playoffs. Hell, it might even cost you the division. Pedro is targeting an August return from ROTATOR CUFF surgery. Are you expecting Tom Glavine to be the ace of the staff at a young 41? You are expecting an aging (41? maybe?), injury prone El duque to be your #2 starter? Who for except 1999 with the Yankees, has never won more than 12 games in a season? John Maine is a solid #3 guy, but can he extrapolate his production over an entire season? You are putting a lot of expectations on Oliver Perez (1-3 with the Mets last year 26 ER in 36 innings) to straighten himself out. Who knows, maybe he'll do it, he's a nice little project that you better hope straightens out by midseason. Then there is spot number 5 that you are filling in with either Pelfrey or Humber. It is their opportunity to take the step to the ML level. Doesn't exactly seem like a rotation that would stand up against good pitching int he playoffs.

Where's the laughing smiley face when you need one? Do you want me to actually go out and prove you wrong with tons of facts and a long post about the fact that, "take away hughes and the rest of that list is garbage" or do you want me to just guarantee you that you are completely wrong and then admit that you, in fact, were completely making up that comment and just hoping it was right - when in reality you had absolutely no idea? As of now, I won't spend the time to do that, but if you don't admit that to me, I'll be forced to.

As for the Mets having MUCH better young pitchers than the Yankees do, well that's just not true. The Yankees have the best farm system in baseball when just considering pitchers. Now, if you want to add in young pitchers that have been in the majors, the Mets will obviously closen the gap, but not by much as then you could include Chien-Ming Wang, the guy that came in 2nd in the AL in the Cy Young voting last year.

I've watched Maine pitch many times. In fact, I'd be willing to bet I watched him before any Met fan here as I saw him with the Orioles (and actually liked what I saw). I guess it depends on what you consider a "live" arm. Is it a guy that throws really hard? Is it a guy with ace potential? Is it a guy with great secondary stuff? You tell me. What I do know is that John Maine is, at best, a #3 starter, and more likely a #4. He's going to give up a lot of HR's in his career.

Burgos - yes has a very live arm. He's the definition of a live arm. But, he also gives up a TON of homeruns has bad control. He makes bats miss, yes, but those other things are not great for a late inning reliever.

I haven't seen nearly enough of Vargas to have an opinion on him, but his lack of K's last year - even in AAA - are not signs of a live arm or a good pitcher. I think you are seriously overrating him.

Perez I already said had a "live" arm. It's difficult with him as his velocity used to be great and is not as good anymore. He's had one really good season, but it just hasn't worked for him. Could he be good? Yeah, but chances are he's not going to be anything special. We'll see.

Pelfrey definitely has a live arm. He's the Mets top prospect for a reason. He should be good.

Humber is also a very solid pitching prospect.

That's very nice of you to "throw in" Sosa, but if you're telling me he has a "live" arm, then most pitchers in this league have a live arm, as he's not good. He's also only going to be, you know, 30 years old come late April of this year. But hell, if it's a Met pitcher, why not "throw him in" as another great, young pitcher that the Mets have. It gets funnier and funnier...
    jeez i am getting flamed by a guy who is a jeff weaver fan!

ill give you Hughes (who i have followed for the past 2 years) like a said i am sorry if i dont jump up and down for a guy like sanchez who in his first stint with AAA gave up 22 runs in 51 innings.......the rest of the guys are OK.......

3 year average 42k in 58 innings....

ok Sosa.......the reason why i didnt include him was because he isnt a spring chicken......but the guy has a GREAT arm.......so i just threw him in there....never said he knew what to do with it.

And now we get to the pride of all yankee fans Ching Ming Wang....please dont make me laugh.....218 innings pitched....76k....lol.... And with a 3.63 ERA and MORE THEN a hit per inning allowed its a disgrace that he was second in the voting......he is no john maine....90IP...71K...3.6 ERA.

like i said please spare me the yankee propaganda.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason
    To all you Mets Fans...This is Spring Training guys, relax. I know you guys (so am I) are anxious for the season to begin, but keep in mind these guys are rusty. Essentially this is exhibition Training camp.

Yankees are 4-0 with nearly flawless outings from the starters. That means jack ****. I almost laugh when I read articles that "Carl Pavano had a good outing" because it's pretty sad that when the guy makes baby steps guys are quick to praise it as a step in the right direction.

I had a friendly debate with Venom a few months ago, I still believe that the Mets have serious pitching issues. Don't get me wrong, the Yankees do too, and I think both clubs need pitching upgrades to make a run in the postseason. You guys all hear the Yankees say "Wang this" and "Wang that" but can you guys really argue that you won't miss Pedro and hope to God Tom Glavine defies time once again?
    I think the mets have a good enough rotation to get them to the trade deadline at the top of the division.........especialy in the NL, if they dont get Pedro back healthy (big if) they willl need to go get an ace if they want to win in the playoffs...........but that isnt the point.........the mets have better young pitchers then the yankees.......and please spare me the Wang talk.....3.6 ERA 70+k in 216 innings and a hit per inning........you go ahead and make him your number 1

Hall Of Fame
    I think the mets have a good enough rotation to get them to the trade deadline at the top of the division.........especialy in the NL, if they dont get Pedro back healthy (big if) they willl need to go get an ace if they want to win in the playoffs...........but that isnt the point.........the mets have better young pitchers then the yankees.......and please spare me the Wang talk.....3.6 ERA 70+k in 216 innings and a hit per inning........you go ahead and make him your number 1
    First of all, you forgot the little fact that he won 19 games, esp. with now 20 game winners last year YOu also make it seem like 3.6 ERA is something to scoff at, especially since it was over 216 innings and not John Maine's shorter period. Strikeouts are nice, but do you really value the numbers over wins, ERA, and innings?

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason
    First of all, you forgot the little fact that he won 19 games, esp. with now 20 game winners last year YOu also make it seem like 3.6 ERA is something to scoff at, especially since it was over 216 innings and not John Maine's shorter period. Strikeouts are nice, but do you really value the numbers over wins, ERA, and innings?
    Wins is seriously one of the most misleading statistics in baseball. Most importantly when you have an adequate bullpen and mariano, and a big lineup like the yankees had. Hell look at how many games Steve 'cy' Tracshel won with an outstanding bullpen and good run support.