Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Wright wants Shea-Rod

  1. #1

    Wright wants Shea-Rod

    PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Can you imagine Alex Rodriguez in a Mets uniform in 2008? It's not just impossible, you say, it's heresy. Or is it? The idea of A-Rod crossing enemy lines has strong support from none other than David Wright who says he'd give up his position to make room for the Yankee third baseman.

    "Are you kidding me? As great a hitter as Alex is, I'd definitely do it," Wright said. "Tell him to come over, tell him to do it."

    In a quiet, early morning clubhouse at Tradition Field, Wright was smiling, but apparently not kidding about his crosstown rival. That's how convinced he is that A-Rod's arrival would be the final, missing piece in ensuring the Mets' domination for the rest of the decade.

    Wright says so because he knows Rodriguez has an opt-out clause after the 2007 season, one which the Yankee slugger has yet to renounce. The fact that A-Rod has been largely rejected by Yankee fans, and, by his own admission, has seen his friendship with Derek Jeter deteriorate, gives Wright added hope.

    Of course, it's one thing to recruit talent in an abstract way; rival stars talk to each other about becoming teammates the way Hollywood's icons make plans to appear in movies together. But Wright has taken this fantasy a step further, repeatedly offering to give up the position to which he was elected as a National League All-Star in 2006.

    This might be a trauma to Met fans, who are loathe to defer to the Yankees in any capacity. But to persuade A-Rod to come to Shea, Wright says simply, "I'd have to switch [positions]."

    And where, exactly, would the displaced Wright play?

    "Anywhere," he said matter-of-factly.

    When told of Wright's comments by Record beat writer Pete Caldera, Rodriguez seemed stunned.

    "Did he really say that?" A-Rod said of Wright. "Wow, tell him I'm flattered."

    All this conjecture is further fueled by the notion that A-Rod always secretly has wanted to be a Met; he was a fan of the '80s-era teams as an adolescent. Some believe the opt-out clause in his contract was inserted by agent Scott Boras as a way to somehow get Rodriguez to Flushing, even after committing to another team.

    But that was before Wright inherited the position, which begs an obvious question: Can this scenario really happen? From a marketing standpoint, not really. The Mets just signed Wright to a six-year, $55 million contract, and are counting on him to be the franchise's hub long after Carlos Delgado, Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran have moved on.

    Given how they're committed to his future, it's unlikely the Mets would allow Wright to publicly acknowledge he's inferior to another third baseman, even if his replacement, A-Rod, is headed toward an 800 home-run career and, ultimately, Cooperstown.

    The other question is, would the Mets pay the 31-year-old A-Rod $25 million a year until he nears his 40th birthday? That's what Boras will be looking for. If A-Rod moves on after 2007, it's because the Yankees wouldn't be interested in giving up their current sweetheart deal; they're paying A-Rod just $16 million per, with the Rangers picking up the rest of the tab.

    Finally, even if the cash-soaked Mets did decide they could afford A-Rod, where would Wright play? The real buzz-kill is that Wright would have only one other defensive alternative on the '08 team -- left field -- and he's probably not a good enough athlete to handle that switch.

    Granted, he moves relatively well for an infielder with his quick, first-step reactions. But Wright doesn't have the explosive speed or long, loping strides necessary to cover the more expansive terrain. And Wright's short-arm throwing motion is better suited for the infield, not the outfield.

    But none of these reality checks prevented Wright from blurring the lines that separate the Met and Yankee cultures. He praised not only Rodriguez, but Derek Jeter for "knowing what it takes to succeed in New York. He's the best there is in knowing how to handle himself off the field. Derek is a role model for us younger players."

    And when the discussion drifted to Wright's favorite moments as a spectator whom he enjoys watching on TV the Mets' slugger admitted to an attraction to the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry.

    "I like watching Jeter and A-Rod hit, and Manny [Ramirez] and [David] Ortiz," he said. "Those are always great games, and those guys are great to watch."

    Point-blank, Wright was asked, who's the more dangerous hitter, Manny or A-Rod?

    Wright thought long and hard, and finally said, "I'd have to say A-Rod. I mean, that guy has sick power. I saw him hit a home run against us [July 2 at Yankee Stadium] that he was out in front of, off his front foot and he went the opposite way and he still hit into the black [seats in the bleachers]."

    Wright shook his head and said, "What other player hits 30-something home runs, drives in 100, hits .280 and calls that an off year?"

    "Case closed," he said.

    Source: http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

    If the Mets get Arod next year the mets could have a run for the World Series

  2. #2
    it makes no sense...........

    wright probably wouldn't make a good left fielder.......he'd probably be better at first base........but it's just silly.....

  3. #3
    he'd probably thrive in Queens too, because he's a freakin' mental headcase.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ Fan18
    If the Mets get Arod next year the mets could have a run for the World Series
    A-Rod isnt a missing piece and they can win it this year

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    A-Rod isnt a missing piece and they can win it this year
    If/when the Mets spend more money, it will be on pitching.

    By the way, A-Rod's going to sign an extension after the season with the Yankees instead of opting out. Book it.

  7. #7
    [QUOTE=JeffWeaverFan]If/when the Mets spend more money, it will be on pitching.

    Agreed. This lineup is potent enough. And if you were going to add to the lineup it would have to be someone that has a history of postseason success. This is not a cheap shot at A-rod because i like him and respect him, but honestly what could he offer the mets that they don't already have?

  8. #8
    If A-Rod opted out into Free Agency after the year, I'd have no problem with the Mets going after him, but if the did sign with the Mets, I'd want A-Rod to be the one to move to Second Base, not Wright moving anywheres. A-Rod sucks at Third base anyways, why should Wright move for him?

  9. #9
    [QUOTE=sjjetfan]
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    If/when the Mets spend more money, it will be on pitching.

    Agreed. This lineup is potent enough. And if you were going to add to the lineup it would have to be someone that has a history of postseason success. This is not a cheap shot at A-rod because i like him and respect him, but honestly what could he offer the mets that they don't already have?
    To be fair, A-Rod was a pretty decent postseason hitter a few years back with Seattle.

    97 ALDS he went 5 for 16 (.312) with a 2B and a HR, RBI, and a R.
    00 ALDS he went 4 for 13 (.308) with 2 RBI.
    00 ALCS he went 9 for 22 (.409) with 2 HR, 5 RBI, 2 2B, 3 Walks and 4 Runs.
    04 ALDS (First playoff series with the Yankees) he went 8 for 19 (.421) with a HR, 3 RBI, 3 Doubles and 3 Runs.

    Really he took alot of **** because of the 2004 ALCS where the Yankees put up the Greatest Choke Job of Playoff History and hasn't been the same since. A change of scenery should do him well.

  10. #10
    [QUOTE=Ven0m]
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan

    To be fair, A-Rod was a pretty decent postseason hitter a few years back with Seattle.

    97 ALDS he went 5 for 16 (.312) with a 2B and a HR, RBI, and a R.
    00 ALDS he went 4 for 13 (.308) with 2 RBI.
    00 ALCS he went 9 for 22 (.409) with 2 HR, 5 RBI, 2 2B, 3 Walks and 4 Runs.
    04 ALDS (First playoff series with the Yankees) he went 8 for 19 (.421) with a HR, 3 RBI, 3 Doubles and 3 Runs.

    Really he took alot of **** because of the 2004 ALCS where the Yankees put up the Greatest Choke Job of Playoff History and hasn't been the same since. A change of scenery should do him well.
    The only thing that those numbers should show you is that when you are talking about 5 to 7 game series', a batters numbers are going to fluctuate greatly from one postseason to another. And, just because a guy hasn't hit well in the postseason in the past, doesn't mean he won't hit bad in the future. Just like if you have a guy that has hit well in the postseason in the past, it is no great indication at all that he will hit well in the postseason later.

    In the end, it is going to even out.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    If A-Rod opted out into Free Agency after the year, I'd have no problem with the Mets going after him, but if the did sign with the Mets, I'd want A-Rod to be the one to move to Second Base, not Wright moving anywheres. A-Rod sucks at Third base anyways, why should Wright move for him?
    Because A-Rod is the better overall player. Either way, he was bad last year, but the previous year he was much better. He has cut about 15 pounds and that will make him a good third baseman again.

    This might be fun to talk about, but there is literally no chance the Mets would go after A-Rod. Mark my words, he'll be staying with the Yankees - most likely after Cashman adds a few years to his contract. It makes too much sense in every aspect for that not to happen.

  12. #12
    We don't need him. Period.

  13. #13
    well i thought arod could play thrid and wright play second base.Our infielders will be nasty.

    1B. Carlos D
    2B. Wright
    3B. Arod
    SS. Reyes
    C. Paul L


    and the mets have really good pitching porspect.

  14. #14
    [QUOTE=JeffWeaverFan]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    The only thing that those numbers should show you is that when you are talking about 5 to 7 game series', a batters numbers are going to fluctuate greatly from one postseason to another. And, just because a guy hasn't hit well in the postseason in the past, doesn't mean he won't hit bad in the future. Just like if you have a guy that has hit well in the postseason in the past, it is no great indication at all that he will hit well in the postseason later.

    In the end, it is going to even out.
    Yeah, but that's also exactly why all this talk about him being a poor postseason hitter is overblown. He's put up some great numbers there in the past, and there is little reason to think he couldn't do it again.

    Because A-Rod is the better overall player. Either way, he was bad last year, but the previous year he was much better. He has cut about 15 pounds and that will make him a good third baseman again.

    This might be fun to talk about, but there is literally no chance the Mets would go after A-Rod. Mark my words, he'll be staying with the Yankees - most likely after Cashman adds a few years to his contract. It makes too much sense in every aspect for that not to happen.
    Maybe, but Wright is the better overall fielder at Third Base. It would be in the best interest of the Mets for Wright to stay where he is because Wright is the better fielder. Why move Wright to another position he may or may not be a good at for someone who isn't good at that position?

  15. #15
    Get A-Rod here in San Francisco!

  16. #16
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,517
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    he'd probably thrive in Queens too, because he's a freakin' mental headcase.
    hater

  17. #17
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    411
    Move Arod to 2B.

    1B DelGado
    2B ARod
    SS Reyes
    3B Wright.

    CF Beltran
    RF Gomez
    LF Milledge

    Just need a Catcher.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21
    Move Arod to 2B.

    1B DelGado
    2B ARod
    SS Reyes
    3B Wright.

    CF Beltran
    RF Gomez
    LF Milledge

    Just need a Catcher.
    don't we have a good prospect catcher ?

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ Fan18
    don't we have a good prospect catcher ?
    Francisco Pena is a big time catching prospect. The only problem is hes about 9 years old. 17 really but he wont be ready for a while. We will need a catcher to bridge the gap between Paul Lo Duca and Pena if he pans out.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    Why move Wright to another position he may or may not be a good at for someone who isn't good at that position?
    Because he said he would, and there is no chance in hell that A-Rod would move to 2B. Now, if you offer him the chance to play SS and Reyes moves to 2B...

    Either way, once again, although this might be fun for Met fans to discuss, there is a 0% chance it would happen. Well, not 0% - if David Wright or Jose Reyes suffers a career ending injury and then A-Rod opts out and then the Mets offer A-Rod an enormous salary, it could happen.

    A-Rod's going to sign an extension with the Yankees though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us