Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Could Vilma Ever Change to Strong Safety?

  1. #1

    Could Vilma Ever Change to Strong Safety?

    First off-- I wanted to say I am the new to writing on the board, only have a few posts up, but I have visited this site religiously for a long time now and love it.

    All these trades talks on Vilma are retarded. This guy is a special, versatile player and it is highly unlikely that we will trade him since we filled the RB position with TJ. It would have been a shame anyway to give up Vilma just because he had one rough season changing to a defense he had never played in before. So the Jets should find the best way to utilize him, and if linebacker is not working try something else.

    I believe Mangini can teach anyone on the defense a new position, especially players in the secondary-- I'm not worried about that. We all know he was the the Pats secondary coach from 2000-2004. Moving from linebacker to safety is not that far of a stretch to me and the chemistry with FS phenom Kerry Rhodes is something to consider too.


    Right now according to NFL.com Jonathan Vilma weighs 230 lbs. If Vilma could slim down 20lbs he would be the ideal size for a strong safety. His height should not really be a factor either because he's 6'1" and thats definitely acceptable for a safety. Look at Brian Dawkins, 12 year hall of fame career at 6'0, 210lbs. Plus, we all know can hit.

    Am I just delusional from having to watch arena football or could this actually happen?

  2. #2
    A nice thought and seems cool, but he is suited for a 4-3 Defense as a LB, not as a SS.

    Arena Football as spread filth among your mind.

  3. #3
    what flavor gatorade is on tap???

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Posts
    7,824
    oooh geeezzeeeee ........... Vilma a safety... why not make him loose 30 pounds and convert him to a CB.....
    Last edited by Starkweather; 03-06-2007 at 07:48 PM.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lindenhurst NY
    Posts
    1,917
    Hes one of the best MLB in the game. Dont judge him on one year in the 3-4. He will continue to get better.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Posts
    7,824
    Quote Originally Posted by dassassin
    First off-- I wanted to say I am the new to writing on the board, only have a few posts up, but I have visited this site religiously for a long time now and love it.

    All these trades talks on Vilma are retarded. This guy is a special, versatile player and it is highly unlikely that we will trade him since we filled the RB position with TJ. It would have been a shame anyway to give up Vilma just because he had one rough season changing to a defense he had never played in before. So the Jets should find the best way to utilize him, and if linebacker is not working try something else.

    I believe Mangini can teach anyone on the defense a new position, especially players in the secondary-- I'm not worried about that. We all know he was the the Pats secondary coach from 2000-2004. Moving from linebacker to safety is not that far of a stretch to me and the chemistry with FS phenom Kerry Rhodes is something to consider too.


    Right now according to NFL.com Jonathan Vilma weighs 230 lbs. If Vilma could slim down 20lbs he would be the ideal size for a strong safety. His height should not really be a factor either because he's 6'1" and thats definitely acceptable for a safety. Look at Brian Dawkins, 12 year hall of fame career at 6'0, 210lbs. Plus, we all know can hit.

    Am I just delusional from having to watch arena football or could this actually happen?
    More retarded than converting him to a safety???

  7. #7
    i stil think he would make a great OLB he of the fastest LB's in the league that will balance out him being uder weight for the position. his intangibes are much better suited for OLB. hes quick, smart, and hads a great nose for the ball. imagin the right side of the defense. ellis, vilma, hobsen, rhodes, and our startin RCB that pretty mush takes away the right side depending on who our corner is

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    3,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather
    More retarded than converting him to a safety???
    Now that was uncalled for youngman

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dassassin
    Am I just delusional from having to watch arena football or could this actually happen?

    Jon Vilma at safety........that could simply be one of the dumbest posts ever made on this forum. Come on dude...this isn't the Arena league. That kind of $hit does not happen in this league.

    Moga III

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather
    More retarded than converting him to a safety???
    Jeez guys, its a slow time of the year -- I'm just throwing thoughts out there. A few days ago everyone was ready to trade him, I love Vilma and I'm bored sitting at my campus job right and started thinking of other ways he could be effective. It'd still be cool to watch though.

    I'm happy I got Moga's attention though.
    Last edited by dassin; 03-06-2007 at 07:53 PM.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Guayaquil, Ecuador
    Posts
    1,245
    Most skilled LBs can be converted to SS safeties, and will be very effective in the box. However, I don't think that's the direction you want to go with Vilma. If you're going to change his position, it would be easier to change it to OLB.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    6,222
    Quote Originally Posted by irishxmafia
    i stil think he would make a great OLB he of the fastest LB's in the league that will balance out him being uder weight for the position. his intangibes are much better suited for OLB. hes quick, smart, and hads a great nose for the ball. imagin the right side of the defense. ellis, vilma, hobsen, rhodes, and our startin RCB that pretty mush takes away the right side depending on who our corner is
    Usually OLB are lighter DE in the 3-4. I don't and I think you don't want to see Vilma take on a T against the run.

  13. #13
    Don't feel bad new guy. I proposed the very same thread a while ago. And everybody responded with things like switching Chad Pennington to NT and such. So don't expect much in the way of thoughtful responses.

    I think the idea has some merit if Vilma were interested in making the switch. He's got the speed and ferocious hitting ability that would make him excel at SS. I don't know how good his coverage skills are against WR. Probably not good enough. But I wouldn't put it past him if he were motivated. Vilma's just a great football player.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    Usually OLB are lighter DE in the 3-4. I don't and I think you don't want to see Vilma take on a T against the run.
    c hobsen is a lot bigger an slower than vilma so u put him in the middle to pick up the bodies like the guards and ellis take the tackle leaving vilma to run free. and vilma would do very well in the system if he had a monster nt and a better dline freeing up holes for him to run threw and make plays all over the field

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    6,222
    Quote Originally Posted by irishxmafia
    c hobsen is a lot bigger an slower than vilma so u put him in the middle to pick up the bodies like the guards and ellis take the tackle leaving vilma to run free. and vilma would do very well in the system if he had a monster nt and a better dline freeing up holes for him to run threw and make plays all over the field
    Hobson did well at OLB, but we don't want him or another 6 ' footer playing OLB. Mangini comes from a background that doesn't believe in short OLB . You don't want Vilma to take on T for a whole day or playing against TE's who would have him with height advantage.That's why I see Bowens being a Jet and playing OLB. He's a tweener at DE and OLB ,with us he will play OLB at 6'3 265

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,653
    i find it funny.. people live with D rob and his underachieving ass for 4 yrs. vilma has one average season . guys want to move him from his position and some of you want to trade him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us