Thread: To all the Mets fans:

To all the Mets fans:

If Milledge doesnt produce this year, and Shawn Green isnt the answer. Do you think the Mets should make a pitch for Ichiro after this season. I just read he is intent on testing the FA market this off-season. Could you imagine Ichiro and Reyes at the top of the order???

who cares if Milledge develops or not get ichiro and move milledge to the other corner.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

First, how old is Ichiro? I have no idea. And he's going to want mega-bucks wherever he lands.

These 2 factors, plus his probable reluctance to leave the West Coast, could prove to be big factors.

I'd love to have him, but there are serious considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan110
    If Milledge doesnt produce this year, and Shawn Green isnt the answer. Do you think the Mets should make a pitch for Ichiro after this season. I just read he is intent on testing the FA market this off-season. Could you imagine Ichiro and Reyes at the top of the order???
    Won't happen. The FO believes very much in Gomez and Fernando Martinez. Gomez will probably be with the big clu mid 2008 start of 09 at the latest.

The core of the offense is there. Until the kids come up, all big money goes to pitching and the corner outfielders will be cheap stop gaps.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Green is 0-13 in ST. So much for that new swing. If Milledge dosen't start now he never will.

All Pro
    no....Gomez/Milledge/Martinez/ on the corners and Beltran in center.

No. Even without Milledge, the Mets got 2 Young Very Good Outfield prospects in the minors in Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez. One or Both of them will be covering the Corner Outfield spots soon enough that it would be stupid to spend the money on Ichiro.

Plus, Carlos Gomez is reportably even faster then Jose Reyes is

Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets
    Won't happen. The FO believes very much in Gomez and Fernando Martinez. Gomez will probably be with the big clu mid 2008 start of 09 at the latest.

The core of the offense is there. Until the kids come up, all big money goes to pitching and the corner outfielders will be cheap stop gaps.

Absoooolutely, Milledge will at very least be adequate till gomez or martinez comes up. Endy is a great utility player who can play any position in the outfield and help keep any starter honest.
    Last edited by j-rome; 03-08-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Absolutely. Although we have 3 elite OF prospects coming up, both Milledge and Gomez could always be used as terrific trade bait to make up for other deficiencies. Ichiro still has around 5 elite years left in him and probably another 2-5 good ones as well. He's not slowing down anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1
    First, how old is Ichiro? I have no idea. And he's going to want mega-bucks wherever he lands.

These 2 factors, plus his probable reluctance to leave the West Coast, could prove to be big factors.

I'd love to have him, but there are serious considerations.
    Ichiro will be 34 next year. He's basically the Jerry Rice of baseball in terms of conditioning and will play well into his mid-40s if he chooses to do so. His stretching regimine is unmatched.

I don't think money would be such an issue since we'd be paying a lot of money for basically the best all-around outfielder in all of baseball.

While he'd probably like staying in the West coast, it's not like NYC is uninviting to a Japanese person. There is a pretty substantial population of Japanese immigrants living in Manhattan and Queens.
    Last edited by 49ersJetsfan; 03-08-2007 at 02:16 PM.

I think his likely destination would be the Red Sox who could certainly use him.