Thread: Maine looks good again.......

Maine looks good again.......

he has had a good spring, comming off a great year.........i am expecting big things from him.

I think Maine is due for a big year, and I'm not saying that because of 5 spring innings as much as it is another year under Rick Peterson. He has all the stuff to succeed, and his only few flaws seem to be more from the mental side of pitching which Peterson (with the help of Glavine and Lo Duca) are working on fixing. I don't think 15 wins is a stretch for Maine this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    I think Maine is due for a big year, and I'm not saying that because of 5 spring innings as much as it is another year under Rick Peterson. He has all the stuff to succeed, and his only few flaws seem to be more from the mental side of pitching which Peterson (with the help of Glavine and Lo Duca) are working on fixing. I don't think 15 wins is a stretch for Maine this season.
    The Mets need Maine to be successful if they plan on doing anything this season. Maine last year was their best pitcher. If he just gives us 180+ innings the wins will come. I mean Trax won 15 last year and he sucked. I think Maine can win 18 games this year and pitch with a 3.50-3.80 ERA.

All League
    Maine has been looking great and hopefully he does big things this year.

That being said... the rest of the pitching (,ostly relievers) are looking terrible.

To judge a pitcher based on 5 innings is not a great idea. I like Maine (I was the one that was saying that Maine should pitch in the playoffs last year over Trachsel when it looked like the rotation would be Pedro, Glavine, El Duque, Trachsel), but more so as a #4. He's going to give up a lot of HR's.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    To judge a pitcher based on 5 innings is not a great idea. I like Maine (I was the one that was saying that Maine should pitch in the playoffs last year over Trachsel when it looked like the rotation would be Pedro, Glavine, El Duque, Trachsel), but more so as a #4. He's going to give up a lot of HR's.
    I was basing my opinion alot more on his 90 regular season innings and 10-15 postseason innings last year then I was on this spring, although that has helped.

I think the only reason Maine gave up alot of Home Runs last year was the occasional lack of focus lead to him spotting some pitches in the wrong spot, and that would certaintly be coachable. Even so though, Maine does a great job keeping runners off of the bases so the overwhelming majority of those Home Runs were only solo shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    I was basing my opinion alot more on his 90 regular season innings and 10-15 postseason innings last year then I was on this spring, although that has helped.

I think the only reason Maine gave up alot of Home Runs last year was the occasional lack of focus lead to him spotting some pitches in the wrong spot, and that would certaintly be coachable. Even so though, Maine does a great job keeping runners off of the bases so the overwhelming majority of those Home Runs were only solo shots.
    That's fair, although I think he was pitching a bit over his head last year. We'll see about that this year.

He gave up a lot of HR's last year because he had a G/F ratio of 0.80. Anyone that gives up that many flyballs is also going to give up a lot of HR's.