Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: OT- Simon suspended 22 games (rest of season)

  1. #1

    OT- Simon suspended 22 games (rest of season)

    ESPNews breaking news and their sources were MSG and TSN

  2. #2
    his career is over at his age. 30 or 31 he will be around 33 the next time he would return and no team would want a 33 year old who hasnt played in 2 years.

  3. #3
    Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12,474
    Images
    39581
    Anyone see HBO's real sports where they did a thing on Nolan and Simon's relationship? Pretty interesting. Two natives that made it big.

  4. #4
    About 5 mins after I posted this they came on again with breaking news on ESPN and said the NHL hasn't issued an official statement. Guess MSG and TSN jumped the gun

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,695
    Weak! He should not be allowed to play again this season, including the playoffs. Depending on how the Isles fare in the post-season (assuming they get there), Simon could conceivably comeback in the 2nd round. I'm basing my opinion not only on the incident itself but also on the fact that Simon showed absolutely no remorse! All he could say was how disappointed he was that he let his team down. I don't care that he was being careful about his words with a hearing pending. He could have at least acknowledged that he hurt another player and apologized. Piece of garbage.

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,370
    I thought it would be a little less, but I can't really argue with it.

    It would have been longer if Hollweg was seriously injured --thankfully he wasn't.

  7. #7
    If the NHL really cared, they'd crack down on all fighting

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    If the NHL really cared, they'd crack down on all fighting

    I agree.The purests from Canada would give them a really hard time but if they are ever serious about being more popular they will have to. If at a game, what do you tell your kids when a hockey fight breaks out? I lied to my 4 y/o recently and told her that they try to take each others sweater off.

  9. #9
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,370
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER
    Anyone see HBO's real sports where they did a thing on Nolan and Simon's relationship? Pretty interesting. Two natives that made it big.
    I saw it....pretty ironic that they do a feel good story involving Simon and then, after filming, he goes out and pulls one of the more vicious moves in recent history.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,695
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    I thought it would be a little less, but I can't really argue with it.

    It would have been longer if Hollweg was seriously injured --thankfully he wasn't.
    In all honesty, that should not be a factor. What should be the sole factor is the act, the intent and what damage it did or COULD HAVE done. Are we going to wait until next time when someone does that and instead of hitting a guy's jaw, it hits lower and crushes his windpipe and kills him or takes an eye? It was a vicious act and should have been more severely punished especially in light of the fact Simon has been suspended on FIVE previous occasions in his career. IMO, a wimpy decision by Colon (pun intended) Campbell. I also hope the POS is prosecuted in Nassau County on criminal charges.

  11. #11
    Who is Simmon? Corey Simon? Simon and GArfunkle?
    Link? What is happening?

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,695
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    If the NHL really cared, they'd crack down on all fighting
    Maybe the players should wear tutu's also? That's hockey, that's tradition. Don't mess with tradition.

    PS I've been a hockey fan since the 60's and have watched all kinds of fights when I was 6 years old until now. I can tell you that it has not adversely affected my life, my attitude or my personality. If you don't like fighting in hockey, don't watch it or let your kids watch it. I don't watch boxing for that reason. I don't like it. But I love my hockey. Go Rangers!
    Last edited by Jordy; 03-10-2007 at 03:20 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay
    Who is Simmon? Corey Simon? Simon and GArfunkle?
    Link? What is happening?
    Yes. Simon got pissed at Garfunkle and hit him over the head with a harmonica.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht6RyAI9370
    Last edited by Sparky24; 03-10-2007 at 03:24 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    Maybe the players should wear tutu's also? That's hockey, that's tradition. Don't mess with tradition.
    Just like the wildcard was bad for baseball right? You gotta change with the times.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky24
    Just like the wildcard was bad for baseball right? You gotta change with the times.
    Bad analogy. Adding the wildcard was all about $$$.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    Bad analogy. Adding the wildcard was all about $$$.
    Right. And maybe taking fighting out of hockey might make it a little more apealing. Maybe someone other than the fishing channel will show games.

  17. #17
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    In all honesty, that should not be a factor. What should be the sole factor is the act, the intent and what damage it did or COULD HAVE done. Are we going to wait until next time when someone does that and instead of hitting a guy's jaw, it hits lower and crushes his windpipe and kills him or takes an eye? It was a vicious act and should have been more severely punished especially in light of the fact Simon has been suspended on FIVE previous occasions in his career. IMO, a wimpy decision by Colon (pun intended) Campbell. I also hope the POS is prosecuted in Nassau County on criminal charges.

    Thats irrelevant. The punishment has to fit the crime. You cannot try/convict someone for murder if the victim is still alive.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,695
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet
    Thats irrelevant. The punishment has to fit the crime. You cannot try/convict someone for murder if the victim is still alive.
    Ridiculous analogy.

    But consider this. Attempted murder gets you serious jail time, 25 to life. 22 games is a joke based on the act, lack of remorse and Simon's "rap sheet." Murder gets you life in prison or death. I'm not saying Simon should be banned from hockey but he should not be allowed to play the rest of this season, including playoffs, AT LEAST.

  19. #19
    Damn man I don't even like or follow hoockey but I just watched the link and that may be the ugliest thing I have seen in sports..right up there with Haynesworth stomping on that guys head...or the time Mcsorley went nuts (I remember that incident and it turned my stomach

    That guy should be banned and doing jail time

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    Ridiculous analogy.

    But consider this. Attempted murder gets you serious jail time, 25 to life. 22 games is a joke based on the act, lack of remorse and Simon's "rap sheet." Murder gets you life in prison or death. I'm not saying Simon should be banned from hockey but he should not be allowed to play the rest of this season, including playoffs, AT LEAST.
    prove it's attempted MURDER

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us