Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Vilma as Strong Safety

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Vilma as Strong Safety

while reading many of the posts here and from watching the past season, it is quite obvious that Jonathan Vilma is not big enough to be a 3-4 linebacker. However, instead of trading him as others suggest, what is the feasibility of having Vilma play Strong Safety.

Is he fast enough? We all know he can hit with the best of them. Possibility or pipe dream?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol, someone posted this last week. it ended up in the dump. my guess is this one will be joining it shortly.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ganooch
    while reading many of the posts here and from watching the past season, it is quite obvious that Jonathan Vilma is not big enough to be a 3-4 linebacker. However, instead of trading him as others suggest, what is the feasibility of having Vilma play Strong Safety.

Is he fast enough? We all know he can hit with the best of them. Possibility or pipe dream?

DUMP!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I first read this, I almost spit out my tea. However, before I become a more typical JI poster and just bash you for being completely rediculous, I think I wouldn't quite call it a pipe dream, but I'm not quite sure it's entirely feesible either. I don't know if he's quite fast enough for that. Keep in mind as a Safety, in certain blitz schemes, he could find himself, 1-on-1 with not only a TE (which isn't so much of a mis-match) but potentially a slot receiver. Some teams' slot receiver could be the fastest guy on their roster. Not the best scenario. It has worked in some cases, Michael Boulware, thinking off the top of my head, but I don't know how great it would be here.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    too small for LB, too big for safety.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vilma couldn't cover Anthony Becht... For all the hype he gets, I don't think he is that versatile.

And you want him guarding center field?