Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: OT: The Curse of Chris Simon

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639

    OT: The Curse of Chris Simon

    I know this is a NY Jets site and I'm a huge Jets fan since the 60's but I know that many of you are Rangers and Islanders fans as well so I want to lay this out there because it affected me personally as a human being and as a fan of the great game of hockey and I want to make a statement because my feelings on this run very deep (sorry for the run-on sentence).

    I have a strong feeling that the Chris Simon incident will haunt the Islanders this year and possibly years beyond. While I'm not saying it's of "Ruthian" proportions (for one thing, the circumstances are completely different), it will most definitely have an impact on the Islander team. In fact, I believe that the Islanders will not make the playoffs this year after it looked like they were heading up the charts a few weeks ago.

    I also want to say how much I admire Ryan Hollweg for the way he has handled this whole incident from the perspective of his actions and his words. He has never said a bad word about Simon (when he had every right to IMO)and he recently refused to press charges after meeting with the Nassau County Detectives.

    And correct me if I'm wrong but I have not seen any sort of direct public apology from Simon toward Hollweg. To the contrary, Simon, Ted "I'd Like To Sleep With Your Wife, Especially If Your Last Name Is Hasek" Nolan and anyone else who cares to chime in, have gone out of their way to make excuses for Simon's criminal actions. It's that kinda stuff that curses are made of and this one will come to fruition.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    I know this is a NY Jets site and I'm a huge Jets fan since the 60's but I know that many of you are Rangers and Islanders fans as well so I want to lay this out there because it affected me personally as a human being and as a fan of the great game of hockey and I want to make a statement because my feelings on this run very deep (sorry for the run-on sentence).

    I have a strong feeling that the Chris Simon incident will haunt the Islanders this year and possibly years beyond. While I'm not saying it's of "Ruthian" proportions (for one thing, the circumstances are completely different), it will most definitely have an impact on the Islander team. In fact, I believe that the Islanders will not make the playoffs this year after it looked like they were heading up the charts a few weeks ago.

    I also want to say how much I admire Ryan Hollweg for the way he has handled this whole incident from the perspective of his actions and his words. He has never said a bad word about Simon (when he had every right to IMO)and he recently refused to press charges after meeting with the Nassau County Detectives.

    And correct me if I'm wrong but I have not seen any sort of direct public apology from Simon toward Hollweg. To the contrary, Simon, Ted "I'd Like To Sleep With Your Wife, Especially If Your Last Name Is Hasek" Nolan and anyone else who cares to chime in, have gone out of their way to make excuses for Simon's criminal actions. It's that kinda stuff that curses are made of and this one will come to fruition.
    Simon blows as much as the Islanders.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL / Surrendered my PSL's biatches
    Posts
    158
    Lets Go Rangers!

  4. #4
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    249
    You're all a bunch of losers. Why don't you come back after the Rag$ make the playoffs for crying out loud. And Holloweg is a punk and he will be dealt with in the correct fashion.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Quote Originally Posted by 51VILMA
    You're all a bunch of losers. Why don't you come back after the Rag$ make the playoffs for crying out loud. And Holloweg is a punk and he will be dealt with in the correct fashion.
    Ha! Typical Islander fan response. Maybe the Islanders will have another POS thug next year who will take a two-handed tomahawk chop at Hollweg's head. I'm sure Ted "I'd Like To Sleep With Your Wife, Especially If Your Last Name Is Hasek" Nolan will find another Native American thug to get the job done and then defend his actions.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    Quote Originally Posted by 51VILMA
    You're all a bunch of losers. Why don't you come back after the Rag$ make the playoffs for crying out loud. And Holloweg is a punk and he will be dealt with in the correct fashion.
    Hollweg gets dealt with in the correct fashion? Dont be such a queen

  7. #7
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    Ha! Typical Islander fan response. Maybe the Islanders will have another POS thug next year who will take a two-handed tomahawk chop at Hollweg's head. I'm sure Ted "I'd Like To Sleep With Your Wife, Especially If Your Last Name Is Hasek" Nolan will find another Native American thug to get the job done and then defend his actions.
    Are you referring to the POS thug who is an ex Ranger?

    You need to settle down with this stuff. Simon clearly apologized for the hit --go back and read his statement he released Saturday night.

    He did a really stupid thing and is paying for it dearly. Yes, Hollweg is handling it admirably. He's moved on. You should too.

  8. #8
    crasherino
    Are you referring to the POS thug who is an ex Ranger?

    You need to settle down with this stuff. Simon clearly apologized for the hit --go back and read his statement he released Saturday night.

    He did a really stupid thing and is paying for it dearly. Yes, Hollweg is handling it admirably. He's moved on. You should too.
    I think you'll find 95% of ranger fans have moved on with this. It just took one idiot comment to bring back the venom.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Are you referring to the POS thug who is an ex Ranger?

    You need to settle down with this stuff. Simon clearly apologized for the hit --go back and read his statement he released Saturday night.

    He did a really stupid thing and is paying for it dearly. Yes, Hollweg is handling it admirably. He's moved on. You should too.
    Following is the only quote I saw: "The Islander forward expressed remorse for his actions in a statement released last week: 'There is absolutely no place in hockey for what I did.

    'I want to apologize to my team and Islanders fans everywhere. I also want to apologize to the National Hockey League for the damage I have caused this great game of ours.''

    I see no public apology to Ryan Hollweg, as I said, unless you can direct me to one. And had Hollweg been seriously injured, this would still be an ongoing story. The fact he wasn't is a miracle and I guess is the only reason anyone can move on.

    And I am certainly not proud he was an ex-Ranger, albeit for 65 games. I'm thankful he didn't commit a criminal act during his tenure.

  10. #10
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    Following is the only quote I saw: "The Islander forward expressed remorse for his actions in a statement released last week: 'There is absolutely no place in hockey for what I did.

    'I want to apologize to my team and Islanders fans everywhere. I also want to apologize to the National Hockey League for the damage I have caused this great game of ours.''

    I see no public apology to Ryan Hollweg, as I said, unless you can direct me to one. And had Hollweg been seriously injured, this would still be an ongoing story. The fact he wasn't is a miracle and I guess is the only reason anyone can move on.

    And I am certainly not proud he was an ex-Ranger, albeit for 65 games. I'm thankful he didn't commit a criminal act during his tenure.
    See apology below directed at Hollweg.

    You need to cool it on the sanctimonious bull****. You are way too emotional about this. There will be a curse? Give me a break.

    Yes, what Chris Simon did was completely wrong and totally out of line. No one is saying otherwise. People do stupid things. Were you as morally outraged when Colton Orr cross checked Ovechkin in the face earlier this year? Im not saying it was as bad as Simon's (it wasn't), but it was COMPLETELY with the intent to injure, and unlike Simon's move, totally premeditated.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ix_qWmZW54

    At least Chris Simon has some hockey skill, the guy is an enforcer, but he knows how to play the game. Colton Orr's sole purpose is to be a goon. And, that's not to say i dislike Colton Orr. I don't. I like his role and loved his matchups with Eric Godard (which I acknowledge Orr got the best of). But, there's no excuse for what Orr did to Ovechkin. He was deliberately intending to injure the opposing team's best player. And with a stick to the face, no less. So please spare me your empty rhetoric of how the Islanders and their fans "disgust" you.

    "After watching the tape the morning after Thursday's game, I was disgusted. There is absolutely no place in hockey for what I did.

    I want to apologize to Ryan Hollweg. I was grateful to learn that Ryan is okay and that he returned to the game. My hope is to reach out to him in the near future.

    I want to apologize to my team and Islanders fans everywhere. My actions Thursday night played a major part in our team losing a crucial game. I also want to apologize to the National Hockey League for the damage I have caused this great game of ours.
    What you saw Thursday is not the person, player and competitor that I am. I know my teammates and opponents over my 14 years in the NHL understand that.

    I do not remember much about Thursday's incident. When I saw the tape on Friday morning, it explained a lot to me when I saw the look on my face after being hit into the boards. I was completely out of it. When I met with the media about 30 minutes later, I still was not feeling well.

    I met with our medical staff briefly Thursday night and underwent a series of tests on Friday afternoon. They have told me that I suffered a concussion when I hit the boards. Because I was not cleared by our doctors to travel, I would like to thank Colin Campbell for traveling to New York for today's hearing.

    I need to make clear that this is not justification for the danger I put Ryan Hollweg in and the damage I have caused the game. I understand disciplinary action will be taken.

    Since Ryan is thankfully okay, what hurts the most is knowing my actions will result in me losing the privilege of being in the Islanders lineup.

    Finally, I want to thank my Islanders teammates for their support throughout this process. It means everything to me."

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    My friend, you keep asking me to "cool it" and "settle down" and "move on" but it is YOU who is getting all worked up here and not letting it go. In my last post, all I did was ask for a link to Simon's public apology to Hollweg and you respond with another emotionally filled tirade. And I might add, did not provide a link, just quotes that you copied and pasted. I appreciate the effort in providing quotes but I don't appreciate the remarks toward me.

    First of all, you are turning this into and Islanders vs. Rangers thing. I NEVER mentioned the rivalry and I would feel the same way about Simon had the victimized player been on any other team.

    Secondly, I NEVER said the Islanders or their fans "disgust" me. And you went out of your way to put disgust in quotes as if I DID say that. Show me where I said anything of the sort.

    Third, I believe it WILL curse the Islanders this year for sure. That's how I feel. If you don't agree with me or think that's ridiculous, that's fine. But don't attack me with some pompous, mightier than thou attitude.

    Fourth, I don't care for Colton Orr. I think he's a waste of a roster spot. He adds nothing to the offense. Plays a marginal defensive game. Hits no harder than Peter Prucha or Jason Blake. And he loses most of his fights. He intimidates no one. Having said that, why bring him up in this context? Did he have anything to do with what Simon did? Did you watch that game. Did you see what Ovechkin did prior to Orr's run at him. He had come in with an elbow to the head of the Ranger who is lifting himself up off the ice as Orr is heading toward Ovechkin. Now I'm not saying Orr's hit was justified, legal or anything else. It was a dirty hit. But what I'm saying is he wasn't simply taking a run at a star player out of sheer intimidation or attempt to injure. He was retaliating for a dirty hit given by Ovechkin to Orr's teammate. And he went overboard. I don't know how much hockey you watch but Ovechkin is known to take some liberties with his elbows and his stick. And Orr's hit was premeditated and Simon's wasn't? How did you determine THAT? Simon didn't need to take a run at Hollweg as Hollweg was skating in Simon's direction. That's a ridiculous comparison. Every account I have read and heard agrees that Simon's hit was most definitely premeditated.

    Fifth, I'd like a link to that Simon quote so I can see when he said it. Here's my take on it. I imagine it was said before the disciplinary hearing with Colin Campbell. And it proves two things: (1) Simon will have a career as a puppet after his hockey days are over. Kudos to the Islanders PR Department for drafting the statement. Simon can barely put one sentence together, much less two paragraphs. If Simon was truly remorseful, he would have apologized for the hit and to Hollweg long before he did and not simply apologize to his teammates for causing them a game and (2) The comments were aimed at minimizing the upcoming penalty to Simon that was going to be imposed by Campbell. To me, it was an empty apology. And he throws in the concussion as if to excuse his actions. He didn't explicitly say it but it was implied and he had no other reason to mention it at that time.

    In conclusion, I think YOU need to settle down and cool it and move on. You turned this into an Islanders vs. Rangers debate when, in fact, it was nothing of the sort, at least not from my end. And I stand by what I said. The Simon act will curse the Islanders.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by 51VILMA
    You're all a bunch of losers. Why don't you come back after the Rag$ make the playoffs for crying out loud. And Holloweg is a punk and he will be dealt with in the correct fashion.
    Problem is Simon didn't have the balls or ability to deal with Holloweg any other way than to fire a cheap shot.

    You can make excuses all you want, I would bet anything that even Simons teammates are ashamed of him.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Yes, what Chris Simon did was completely wrong and totally out of line. No one is saying otherwise. People do stupid things. Were you as morally outraged when Colton Orr cross checked Ovechkin in the face earlier this year? Im not saying it was as bad as Simon's (it wasn't), but it was COMPLETELY with the intent to injure, and unlike Simon's move, totally premeditated.
    That crosscheck was "COMPLETELY with the intent to injure, and unlike Simon's move, totally premeditated"?

    Are you serious? You know this how? How many times have we seen players crosschecked like this? It's to injure?

    And you want to compare it to swinging a stick at someones face?

    Give that angle a break. No matter how hard to try to argue the point you could never, ever prove there was intent on a crosscheck like that. Swinging a stick as hard as Simon did at a players face? No argument. That's intent.

  14. #14
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    My friend, you keep asking me to "cool it" and "settle down" and "move on" but it is YOU who is getting all worked up here and not letting it go. In my last post, all I did was ask for a link to Simon's public apology to Hollweg and you respond with another emotionally filled tirade. And I might add, did not provide a link, just quotes that you copied and pasted. I appreciate the effort in providing quotes but I don't appreciate the remarks toward me.

    First of all, you are turning this into and Islanders vs. Rangers thing. I NEVER mentioned the rivalry and I would feel the same way about Simon had the victimized player been on any other team.

    Secondly, I NEVER said the Islanders or their fans "disgust" me. And you went out of your way to put disgust in quotes as if I DID say that. Show me where I said anything of the sort.

    Third, I believe it WILL curse the Islanders this year for sure. That's how I feel. If you don't agree with me or think that's ridiculous, that's fine. But don't attack me with some pompous, mightier than thou attitude.

    Fourth, I don't care for Colton Orr. I think he's a waste of a roster spot. He adds nothing to the offense. Plays a marginal defensive game. Hits no harder than Peter Prucha or Jason Blake. And he loses most of his fights. He intimidates no one. Having said that, why bring him up in this context? Did he have anything to do with what Simon did? Did you watch that game. Did you see what Ovechkin did prior to Orr's run at him. He had come in with an elbow to the head of the Ranger who is lifting himself up off the ice as Orr is heading toward Ovechkin. Now I'm not saying Orr's hit was justified, legal or anything else. It was a dirty hit. But what I'm saying is he wasn't simply taking a run at a star player out of sheer intimidation or attempt to injure. He was retaliating for a dirty hit given by Ovechkin to Orr's teammate. And he went overboard. I don't know how much hockey you watch but Ovechkin is known to take some liberties with his elbows and his stick. And Orr's hit was premeditated and Simon's wasn't? How did you determine THAT? Simon didn't need to take a run at Hollweg as Hollweg was skating in Simon's direction. That's a ridiculous comparison. Every account I have read and heard agrees that Simon's hit was most definitely premeditated.

    Fifth, I'd like a link to that Simon quote so I can see when he said it. Here's my take on it. I imagine it was said before the disciplinary hearing with Colin Campbell. And it proves two things: (1) Simon will have a career as a puppet after his hockey days are over. Kudos to the Islanders PR Department for drafting the statement. Simon can barely put one sentence together, much less two paragraphs. If Simon was truly remorseful, he would have apologized for the hit and to Hollweg long before he did and not simply apologize to his teammates for causing them a game and (2) The comments were aimed at minimizing the upcoming penalty to Simon that was going to be imposed by Campbell. To me, it was an empty apology. And he throws in the concussion as if to excuse his actions. He didn't explicitly say it but it was implied and he had no other reason to mention it at that time.

    In conclusion, I think YOU need to settle down and cool it and move on. You turned this into an Islanders vs. Rangers debate when, in fact, it was nothing of the sort, at least not from my end. And I stand by what I said. The Simon act will curse the Islanders.

    It was said after the disciplinary hearing as stated in the apology. Yes, the Islander PR staff probably helped him draft it --that's what they are there for. It doesn't change the fact that he was sorry for what he did. It also doesn't change the fact that he committed a heinous act.

    I wasn't the one who started a 3rd thread saying the "Islanders are cursed" making it into an Islander/Ranger thing --i was merely pointing out that goonish behavior happens everywhere --including from your team.

    As far as me being emotional about it --if that's your opinion, so be it. I am/was the first one to excoriate Simon for the hit. As I asked you in the original thread, go back and read my original post on it. I am not excusing Simon for anything.

    Here you go.

    http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...beSportsHockey

    http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=57

  15. #15
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut
    That crosscheck was "COMPLETELY with the intent to injure, and unlike Simon's move, totally premeditated"?

    Are you serious? You know this how? How many times have we seen players crosschecked like this? It's to injure?

    And you want to compare it to swinging a stick at someones face?

    Give that angle a break. No matter how hard to try to argue the point you could never, ever prove there was intent on a crosscheck like that. Swinging a stick as hard as Simon did at a players face? No argument. That's intent.
    The league and referees thought it was with intent to injure --they gave him a match penalty and a suspension. A Match penalty is for "intent to injure". Of course swinging a stick is with "intent" to injure

    Im not justifying or excusing Simon's behavior in any way --I agree with you --his teammates were utterly embarrassed to be associated with that hit. As an Islander fan, so was I. If he had a problem, he should have dropped the gloves and settled it the manly way. He didn't and he's paying for it dearly.

    Just using it as an example to show that thuggish behavior happens on your team as well --Chris Simon as an individual is responsible for his actions, as is everyone else.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    It was said after the disciplinary hearing as stated in the apology. Yes, the Islander PR staff probably helped him draft it --that's what they are there for. It doesn't change the fact that he was sorry for what he did. It also doesn't change the fact that he committed a heinous act.

    I wasn't the one who started a 3rd thread saying the "Islanders are cursed" making it into an Islander/Ranger thing --i was merely pointing out that goonish behavior happens everywhere --including from your team.

    As far as me being emotional about it --if that's your opinion, so be it. I am/was the first one to excoriate Simon for the hit. As I asked you in the original thread, go back and read my original post on it. I am not excusing Simon for anything.

    Here you go.

    http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...beSportsHockey

    http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=57
    I beg to differ. It appears those comments were made BEFORE the hearing and I say this for two reasons. First, Simon says (that's funny): "I understand disciplinary action will be taken." Secondly, in the article, there's a link to another article titled, "No decision yet on Simon."

    I started a thread stating that I believed Simon's act will curse the Islanders. How is that a Rangers vs. Islanders thing? And I never once indicated I was a Ranger fan.

  17. #17
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    I beg to differ. It appears those comments were made BEFORE the hearing and I say this for two reasons. First, Simon says (that's funny): "I understand disciplinary action will be taken." Secondly, in the article, there's a link to another article titled, "No decision yet on Simon."

    I started a thread stating that I believed Simon's act will curse the Islanders. How is that a Rangers vs. Islanders thing? And I never once indicated I was a Ranger fan.
    He thanked Colin Campbell for traveling to meet with him for "today's meeting". It was after the discplinary hearing, but before the suspension came out.

    But, I'm not sure what the relevance is as to when the timing of the apology came out.

    You may consider him a POS --and you have every right to --he did a terrible thing against one of your players.

    But honestly, don't you think he regrets it? Do you really think he was happy he did it and would do it again? He made a terrible, spur of the moment decision, and it will haunt him for the rest of his life. Im sure the guy is very happy that Hollweg was not injured and that he returned to the game.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Just to fortify what I said a few weeks ago...

    http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...-rangers-print

  19. #19
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    Just to fortify what I said a few weeks ago...

    http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...-rangers-print
    Nice call Jordy.

    Lets see if you are man enough to admit you're wrong.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Nice call Jordy.

    Lets see if you are man enough to admit you're wrong.
    I was wrong about them making the playoffs. I still think the Simon incident will have a long-term effect on the team.

    PS I'm not sure making the playoffs will help them in the long run. They would have had a lower draft pick and it's not likely they will get out of the 1st round.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us