Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: wagner has developed a new pitch

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

wagner has developed a new pitch

i know we were talking about this at the end of the season last year...and it seems they heard us.....

wagner has developed a splitter to go along with his mid-90's fastball and that nasty slider.......

if his splitter is effective he could really have a nice season this year....

it wa smy opinion, and others as well, that when he struggles it's because he's lost a few mph off of what used to be a 100mph fastball.

now if the rotation comes together (glavine, pelfrey and maine have all looked goos so far.......and perez was nasty against the redsox the other day) we could have a decent looking pitching staff......especially when we get back sanchez, mota and pedro.............

plus there's also the hope that we could pick up a pitcher by the deadline if something goes wrong with one of our current starters (injuries, ineffective etc...)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe Smith seems to be a favorite for making the club or at least coming up soon enough. Burgos gets his ish in order on the farm he could even be a great addition to an already outstanding bullpen later in the year. I also wouldn't mind seeing Alay Soler getting some innings in. I even think he could be an adequate 5th starter.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j-rome
    Joe Smith seems to be a favorite for making the club or at least coming up soon enough. Burgos gets his ish in order on the farm he could even be a great addition to an already outstanding bullpen later in the year. I also wouldn't mind seeing Alay Soler getting some innings in. I even think he could be an adequate 5th starter.
    I think Soler was released outright last week.

Smith should make the team out of camp, especially with Sanchez and Padilla not being ready just yet. Smith is very similar to Bradford, and will be used as such.

The Mets may struggle early this year, which scares me. Guys like Mota, Padilla, Sanchez could be real keys but none will be ready til mid April at the earliest...Mota not until Memorial day. Pelfrey may wind up the 5 man, he's looked good and Humber, Park, Sele, Vargas, simply haven't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was Ed Coleman who first reported it on the wfan a few weeks ago and said that Wagner told him that in the NLCS he had nothing left (which we could all see). Anyway the purpose it so save some of his arm for the post season, as the splitter takes less of a toll on his arm. The splitter is actually a pitch a lot of guys work on when they hit their mid 30's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the mets outright released Soler last week.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope it's true. Every year you hear this from quite a few pitchers, but when the season starts, where's the new pitch? It would be great to keep hitters off balance.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ****in a, i was away on vacation and i missed that...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ****in a, i was away on vacation and i missed that...
    pretty sad. as high as they once were on him you woulda thought they coulda at least gotten a low level minor leaguer. oh well

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    pretty sad. as high as they once were on him you woulda thought they coulda at least gotten a low level minor leaguer. oh well

i probably have more value in a trade than alay soler.......that guy SUCKED!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    i probably have more value in a trade than alay soler.......that guy SUCKED!!!!!
    lmfao

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't agree more. Even my eight year old told me how bad he was.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll see if it helps him close games out. He needs to get it over to be effective.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know we were talking about this at the end of the season last year...and it seems they heard us.....

wagner has developed a splitter to go along with his mid-90's fastball and that nasty slider.......

if his splitter is effective he could really have a nice season this year....

it wa smy opinion, and others as well, that when he struggles it's because he's lost a few mph off of what used to be a 100mph fastball.

now if the rotation comes together (glavine, pelfrey and maine have all looked goos so far.......and perez was nasty against the redsox the other day) we could have a decent looking pitching staff......especially when we get back sanchez, mota and pedro.............

plus there's also the hope that we could pick up a pitcher by the deadline if something goes wrong with one of our current starters (injuries, ineffective etc...)
    Again my gut tells me Perez will be back to old form again.......You know bARRY Bonds doesnt give complements very often... But he said that year in 04.. That Perez might have been the best lefty hwe has ever faced!