Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: David Hicks' Cell At Guantanamo Bay - Comes To A Town Near You!

All Pro

David Hicks' Cell At Guantanamo Bay - Comes To A Town Near You!

A replica of a cell in the US-run prison camp Guantanamo Bay will be visiting towns across South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales during March and April this year.

The installation is a replica of a solitary confinement cell in which Australian David Hicks is being held. He has been detained in Guantanamo Bay for more than five years, despite having never been tried or convicted of a crime.

“The conditions in Guantanamo Bay have not been good enough for the citizens of Britain, France, Germany, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and Spain. These governments have all demanded the return of their citizens. Why is it good enough for an Australian?” comments local campaigner Sasha Jesperson.

Amnesty International will present information about Guantanamo Bay and a timeline of David Hicks’ treatment since his capture in the end of 2001. There is compelling evidence David Hicks has been subjected to torture and other ill-treatment during his time there, and kept in solitary confinement for 22 hours a day for at least the past 12 months.

“We want Australians to see first hand what life is like inside Guantanamo Bay, and give them the facts about David’s case. We want Australians to make up their own minds about what is going on.”

The cell will be on display on the following dates:

24 & 25 March : Amnesty International Australia Campus Conference, University of Queensland, St. Lucia Campus.

26 & 27 March: Queens Park, corner of Elizabeth and George Street, Brisbane.

28 March: University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba campus.

30 March: Gold Coast Council Chambers Parkland, Bundall Road, Bundall.

1 April: Byron Bay Markets, Butler Street Reserve, Byron Bay.
    http://www.westender.com.au/stories.php?s_id=473

JetsFan2012
    David Hicks, don't you mean Mohammed Dawood?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    David Hicks, don't you mean Mohammed Dawood?
    I think that he is going only by Hicks these days to expedite his trial (5 years waiting) in GTMO

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg
    I think that he is going only by Hicks these days to expedite his trial (5 years waiting) in GTMO

Does that mean he doesn't want to be an Al Quaeda operative anymore?

All Pro
    Does that mean he doesn't want to be an Al Quaeda operative anymore?
    That has to be proven. Until then his human rights have been violated by the USA. This is the problem with detaining people at GTMO. It puts us on par with nations who violate human rights.

What ever happend to "not guilty" until proven so?
    If he were you, would you not want a fair trial?

JetsFan2012
    That has to be proven. Until then his human rights have been violated by the USA. This is the problem with detaining people at GTMO. It puts us on par with nations who violate human rights.

What ever happend to "not guilty" until proven so?
    If he were you, would you not want a fair trial?

I'd really rather not put myself in the shoes of a radical Islamic convert seeking the demise of thousands of innocent people.

All Pro
    Torture and the suspension of habeas corpus have decreased our country's moral high ground.

All Pro

Rachel Maddow On Torture: “It Matters What We Do…We’re America” (video)

Air America talk show host Rachel Maddow was on 'Paula Zahn Now' last night as part of a panel discussion on the alleged confessions of Khalid Sheik Mohammed and Walid bin Attash during their hearings at Gitmo. The segment covered torture, its effect on the credibility of such confessions and the overall battle against terrorism. As usual, Rachel nails it along with fellow panelist Roland Martin, and smacks down the lone torture-apologist, Republic Strategist Amy Holmes, point by point. Rachel gets the final word of the segment:
    http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/0...owere-america/

"You can't say it doesn't matter what we're doing cause we're trying to get Al Qaeda. It matters what we do. We're America. That's more important than Al-Qaeda."

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly
    Torture and the suspension of habeas corpus have decreased our country's moral high ground.
    Cry me a f*cking river, Sally.

JetsFan2012

If you post one more goddamn worthless piece of drivel from cocksandlemmings, I'm going to throw my computer out my ****ing window.

whew, I feel better now.

All Pro
    If you post one more goddamn worthless piece of drivel from cocksandlemmings, I'm going to throw my computer out my ****ing window.

whew, I feel better now.
    That video is from CNN last night.

Hall Of Fame

I wonder if Rachel supports killing unborn children? I bet she does. I bet she supports partial-birth abortion too. Funny, liberals don't care about killing unborn children in gruesome fashion, but get their panties in a twist when dogs bark at terrorists. There are tons of truly innocent prisoners in Cuba that liberals don't EVER mention because they are on their knees for Castro, but lock up a terrorist in Cuba and they whine about it endlessly.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jets5ever
    I wonder if Rachel supports killing unborn children? I bet she does. I bet she supports partial-birth abortion too. Funny, liberals don't care about killing unborn children in gruesome fashion, but get their panties in a twist when dogs bark at terrorists. There are tons of truly innocent prisoners in Cuba that liberals don't EVER mention because they are on their knees for Castro, but lock up a terrorist in Cuba and they whine about it endlessly.

It truly is a moronic state of mind, isn't it

All Pro
    Cuba is another country. Run by a communist dictator. The US should be above doing and acting in the same manner as that. There are plenty of people in NJ and S Fla, who constantly remind us of the violations of Mr. Castro.

Hall Of Fame
    Cuba is another country. Run by a communist dictator. The US should be above doing and acting in the same manner as that. There are plenty of people in NJ and S Fla, who constantly remind us of the violations of Mr. Castro.
    We aren't acting in the same manner and no offense, you're not really smart enough for me to bother with, so don't be surprised if I don't reply to you very often.

All Pro
    We aren't acting in the same manner and no offense, you're not really smart enough for me to bother with, so don't be surprised if I don't reply to you very often.

Not only I am smarter, but extremely wiser.....

All Pro
    Cry me a f*cking river, Sally.
    Nice response. Do you disagree with the statement or are conservatives left with nothing but criticizing complaints of obvious injustices?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by parafly
    Nice response. Do you disagree with the statement or are conservatives left with nothing but criticizing complaints of obvious injustices?
    Why are these charged injustices obvious? And obvious to whom? Anyone, or just those who want to believe them?

Hall Of Fame
    Sorry, guys. These are not criminals arrested and detained on US soil. Constitutional guarantees, they don't have. They are enemy combatants in a time of war. Their detention and interrogation are completely legitimate and lawful. I don't even really have a problem with torture in these circumstances, and I doubt that anyone in Gitmo is being tortured on a scale I would even call torture. As far as international rules of war go, these enemy combatants we're found overwhelmingly without uniform or national insignia. This fact alone allows them to be detained as spies, and treated accordingly. In all reality, the US is within it's rights to execute all of them.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    Why are these charged injustices obvious? And obvious to whom? Anyone, or just those who want to believe them?
    Not torturing and habeas corpus are core principles this country and the international community have had for centuries. This administration's suspension of these principles is obvious to anyone with half a brain. The world is watching.