Thread: Yankees won't bid on A-Rod

All Pro

Yankees won't bid on A-Rod

Rodriguez as good as gone if he opts out of contract

Posted: Wednesday March 21, 2007 10:45AM; Updated: Wednesday March 21, 2007 1:50PM

Alex Rodriguez will attract interest from at least a handful of teams if he opts out of his $252 million contract at the end of the season, with the Angels perhaps first in line. But Yankees general manager Brian Cashman made clear in an interview on Tuesday that Rodriguez's current team will not chase A-Rod and will not be part of any bidding war.

"He has a significant contract as it is," Cashman told SI.com. "So I don't anticipate any dialogue regarding an extension."

In other words, Cashman is leaving the ball in A-Rod's court. If Rodriguez wants to remain a Yankee and keep the $81 million and three years remaining on his contract, he can do that. But if he wants to forego that $81 million to seek even greater riches, that's his choice, too. He just won't be getting those extra riches in pinstripes -- at least not this winter.

"I hope he stays," Cashman says. "He knows how I feel about him."

Cashman is a proven A-Rod fan, one of the main powers behind the megatrade that moved Rodriguez east from Texas. But Cashman has shown since taking over full GM powers in recent months that he is fully cognizant of the bottom line, and that means dollars and cents as well as wins and losses. He traded away Gary Sheffield and Randy Johnson (though those are two players he appeared far less enamored of than A-Rod), and the only megabucks deals he signed off on this winter were for Andy Pettitte (one-year, $16 million with a player option for 2008) and Kei Igawa (five years, $20 million, with a $26 million posting fee).

Cashman likes Rodriguez enough that it's believed he'd consider an extension at some point, but not an extension merely to prevent A-Rod from opting out of his current deal. "That's smart," one competing GM says. "This way all the pressure's on A-Rod, and there's no blood on [Cashman's] hands."

With plenty of teams likely to line up, including the Angels (the favorite for Rodriguez can offer a contending team, a stadium where he hits big, the American League and probably even a chance to switch back to shortstop), no one should be surprised if A-Rod does opt out. And no one should blame him if he does, though plenty will.

There's nothing wrong with exercising an option that was bargained for in good faith. J.D. Drew opted out of the $33 million that remained on his Dodgers deal, and more than doubled it, to $70 million, with Boston. And Aramis Ramirez more than tripled his pay, from $22 million to $75 million, when the Cubs made the opposite call and decided to re-sign him after he opted out of his deal.

Some Yankees fans might applaud A-Rod's departure, but his loss would sting since they'd also lose the $29 million Rangers owner Tom Hicks has to contribute toward A-Rod's contract through 2010, so long as he remains a Yankee. And perhaps even worse for Yankees fans, there isn't much right-handed power available, except Andruw Jones, who'll have plenty of suitors. As for right-handed power, not counting free-agent switch-hitter Jorge Posada, the Yankees will be down to Derek Jeter if A-Rod leaves.

Some will criticize Cashman if A-Rod walks away after at least eight teams called last year to inquire about acquiring the superstar in trade, including both Chicago teams and both L.A. teams. However, it wasn't really Cashman's call to keep him then; A-Rod made it clear to Cashman last summer that he wouldn't consent to a trade -- and as long as the Yankees are in the race, he still won't.

That was all A-Rod's call last summer. And once again, it will be his call again this winter.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...day/index.html

I think it would be a mistake to let A-Rod go especially because they could sign him to an extention and still get $$ from Texas.

Man this guy is going to make a boat load of $$$$$$

any comments or contract predictions?

My only comment is that the amount of money this guy has coming to him is mind-blowing.

and their right handed power bat without A-Rod would be…?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound

Andruw Jones.

what does it matter, anytime he was in a clutch position he grounded out

as much as i hate the skankies i feel bad for this man..............and it boggles the mind how he keeps choking time after time after time......just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    his unclutchness is becoming overstated. Do you even get to the 04 ALCS without him? The yanks are certainly not a better team without him and they have no right handed slugging threat with him gone

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    Andruw Jones.
    To play what position? We already have a CFer. We aren't going to spend $100M on another one.

Either way, of course Cashman would say this when asked. If he said, "yes, we'd extend him if necessary", what do you think Boras would do?

In the end, A-Rod will stay a Yankee. It makes too much sense for him not to.

If that's true, why didn't he ground out against the Braves in extra innings with a man on base and down by 1 run with 2 outs?

A-Rod was not a clutch player last year, but to say he never comes through is absurd. In 2005 he came through in the clutch a ton, and a hell of a lot more than Jeter that year. Did he just forget how to be clutch last year? Or did some Yankee "fans" (and I have to use quotes because I'm talking about the ones that boo the guy every single time he makes an out. And those people that do that aren't fans, they are morons. They hurt the whole team and they make Yankee fans as a whole look like idiots.) just forget about the times he has come through?

He's going to have a monster year this year.

his unclutchness is becoming overstated. Do you even get to the 04 ALCS without him? The yanks are certainly not a better team without him and they have no right handed slugging threat with him gone
    Have you seen a list of the free agent third baseman after this season? If so, you'd see that you are very right. Mike Lowell is probably the best third baseman FA after the season... The Yankees would be absolutely screwed if A-Rod opts out, and the morons that booed the guy every time he made an out can thank themselves when we don't make the playoffs because we are missing that bat. Or they can thank themselves when we have to trade some good, young arms for a third baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Have you seen a list of the free agent third baseman after this season? If so, you'd see that you are very right. Mike Lowell is probably the best third baseman FA after the season... The Yankees would be absolutely screwed if A-Rod opts out, and the morons that booed the guy every time he made an out can thank themselves when we don't make the playoffs because we are missing that bat. Or they can thank themselves when we have to trade some good, young arms for a third baseman.
    i am not saying the yankees are better without him but this year really put him in the choker category.........i mean he looked lost at the plate, he was out of his league. For his sake i hope he figures it out, or his name will live on not as a great player but as an epic choke artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-O-Gold
    i am not saying the yankees are better without him but this year really put him in the choker category.........i mean he looked lost at the plate, he was out of his league. For his sake i hope he figures it out, or his name will live on not as a great player but as an epic choke artist.
    1. He choked last year, but what will make people learn that just because someone has choked in the past doesn't mean he will choke in the future? If anything, people should have learned that with a great player, he eventually will come through. If one didn't think that, they should have learned with Peyton Manning and, in baseball, Barry Bonds.

2. He admittedly looked lost at the plate at times, and still managed to hit .290/.392/.523 with an OPS+ of 140. Not too shabby for a guy that was lost at the plate. Imagine how good he's going to be next year when he's not lost at the plate.

3. Once again, when will people learn that someone is not going to choke all the time? If he continues to get October AB's, he's going to eventually hit well and then it will all be forgotten. He's hit well in October in the past and will in the future, and when people look back at his career they will wonder, "Did people think he was a choker because 2 and a half postseason series and about 40 AB's??? Were people that stupid back then? Did those people not know that Reggie Jackson, Babe Ruth, and Mickey Mantle among others also had terrible postseasons in their career?"

I hope he does have a monster year this year, but don't forget, his struggles didn't only happen at the plate last year. The amount of errors he had was completely unnecessary.

I hope he does have a monster year this year, but don't forget, his struggles didn't only happen at the plate last year. The amount of errors he had was completely unnecessary.
    I think losing the 15 pounds that he put on last year is going to really help his defense.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    1. He choked last year, but what will make people learn that just because someone has choked in the past doesn't mean he will choke in the future? If anything, people should have learned that with a great player, he eventually will come through. If one didn't think that, they should have learned with Peyton Manning and, in baseball, Barry Bonds.

2. He admittedly looked lost at the plate at times, and still managed to hit .290/.392/.523 with an OPS+ of 140. Not too shabby for a guy that was lost at the plate. Imagine how good he's going to be next year when he's not lost at the plate.

3. Once again, when will people learn that someone is not going to choke all the time? If he continues to get October AB's, he's going to eventually hit well and then it will all be forgotten. He's hit well in October in the past and will in the future, and when people look back at his career they will wonder, "Did people think he was a choker because 2 and a half postseason series and about 40 AB's??? Were people that stupid back then? Did those people not know that Reggie Jackson, Babe Ruth, and Mickey Mantle among others also had terrible postseasons in their career?"
    good points, i think Arod at his not so greatest is still better then most, but now we get into the cost vs return issue.......he will always be judged by his contract and for that amount of money you should not be "waiting" for him to stop choking.

good points, i think Arod at his not so greatest is still better then most, but now we get into the cost vs return issue.......he will always be judged by his contract and for that amount of money you should not be "waiting" for him to stop choking.
    ~15 mil for A-Rod (what the Yanks pay) in this market is an absolute heist

~15 mil for A-Rod (what the Yanks pay) in this market is an absolute heist
    what is that about 7.5 million PER HIT in the postseason?

its only a bargain if he performs.

We wouldn't have made the postseason without him in 2005. Either way, not everyone is going to come through. If you are judging a Yankee by his postseason, a lot will have sucked. And wouldn't RJ, who cost the Yankees a huge game in each postseason he pitched in (and didn't help win one game) be much more of a choker and much worse of a deal? But he seemed to get no flak.

1 mil per AB - keep some perspective