Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: OT.. I'm sorry for this out of the way thread.

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    6,324

    OT.. I'm sorry for this out of the way thread.

    But did any body catch the fight that just happened in the Ranger/Philly game.
    Move it mods if it isn't worth staying..

  2. #2
    Orr just clocked the **** out of Fedorik, I hope he is alright though.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    933
    More fights in that Canadian sport, I can honestly say thats why 3/4 of the people watch/attend those games, just like nascar.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastin3517
    I can honestly say thats why 3/4 of the people watch/attend those games, just like nascar.
    No it isn't.

    Saying that is like saying people watch football to see players get jacked up.

  5. #5
    I am in no way a hockey fan, so my question is going to sound stupid. But, I really don't understand what happens with a fight during a hockey game.

    I don't understand why/how fights begin in the NHL. It always looks ot me like one guy gets pissed off, so he squares up to another guy, and it's almost like a half-assed boxing match. In the meantime, the refs just kind of hang around for a few seconds and let them do their thing. Sometimes, it doesn't even look that spontaneous. A bench clearing brawl in baseball is a lot more violent, this is just like, "ok, let me get a few punches in, then it'll be over." What's the point? Obviously, there are large sclae fights between whole teams with bad blood, but it even seems like everyone is anticipating that from the get-go.

    I guess my question is, are fights permitted/encouraged in the NHL?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    No it isn't.

    Saying that is like saying people watch football to see players get jacked up.
    no its not, because there is genuine interest in football, and people actually aspire to be one of those players on the field, unlike hockey, and its players.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    I am in no way a hockey fan, so my question is going to sound stupid. But, I really don't understand what happens with a fight during a hockey game.

    I don't understand why/how fights begin in the NHL. It always looks ot me like one guy gets pissed off, so he squares up to another guy, and it's almost like a half-assed boxing match. In the meantime, the refs just kind of hang around for a few seconds and let them do their thing. Sometimes, it doesn't even look that spontaneous. A bench clearing brawl in baseball is a lot more violent, this is just like, "ok, let me get a few punches in, then it'll be over." What's the point? Obviously, there are large sclae fights between whole teams with bad blood, but it even seems like everyone is anticipating that from the get-go.

    I guess my question is, are fights permitted/encouraged in the NHL?
    I've often wondered the same thing. I don't have a problem with them but it IS kinda funny watching the refs just kinda circle around them. Then once they either both hit the ice, or one guy gets the snot beat out of him they move in.

    I don't know if it still is, but fighting used to be included in hockey video games. It was really just button mashing and seemed like the winner was randome, but it was there none the less.
    Last edited by NYJets4life; 03-21-2007 at 08:07 PM.

  8. #8
    Orr by Kayo

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    6,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastin3517
    no its not, because there is genuine interest in football, and people actually aspire to be one of those players on the field, unlike hockey, and its players.
    I think that is a understatement , you do see a lot of kids playing roller hockey and now with the Catholic h.s ice hockey league , you are seeing more of an interest.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastin3517
    no its not, because there is genuine interest in football, and people actually aspire to be one of those players on the field, unlike hockey, and its players.
    You're so wrong its incredible.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    You're so wrong its incredible.
    I am??

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastin3517
    I am??
    yup

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    I am in no way a hockey fan, so my question is going to sound stupid. But, I really don't understand what happens with a fight during a hockey game.

    I don't understand why/how fights begin in the NHL. It always looks ot me like one guy gets pissed off, so he squares up to another guy, and it's almost like a half-assed boxing match. In the meantime, the refs just kind of hang around for a few seconds and let them do their thing. Sometimes, it doesn't even look that spontaneous. A bench clearing brawl in baseball is a lot more violent, this is just like, "ok, let me get a few punches in, then it'll be over." What's the point? Obviously, there are large sclae fights between whole teams with bad blood, but it even seems like everyone is anticipating that from the get-go.

    I guess my question is, are fights permitted/encouraged in the NHL?

    Fighting in Hockey is a way the players police themselves. Since it's such a physical sport where checking is a part of the game, having an "enforcer" on your team is a way to make sure the other team doesn't take out your skill players. The reason some fights don't look spontaneous is because often players know they are going to fight before hand. i.e...the fight that this threads about was actually due to Fedorek having his way with Jagr and co. the last time these two teams played. A game in which Orr wasn't playing.
    If Gretzky didn't have Mcsorley playing with him opposing teams wouldn't have thought twice in trying to take him out of his game by intimidation.

    I hope thats make sense.

  14. #14
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastin3517
    no its not, because there is genuine interest in football, and people actually aspire to be one of those players on the field, unlike hockey, and its players.
    This is just plain narrow minded and dumb. I hate when people make generalizations like this because they are so wrong. As if you are some expert in what people from different walks of life aspire to be. I can see you are going to add alot to this board.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky24
    Fighting in Hockey is a way the players police themselves. Since it's such a physical sport where checking is a part of the game, having an "enforcer" on your team is a way to make sure the other team doesn't take out your skill players. The reason some fights don't look spontaneous is because often players know they are going to fight before hand. i.e...the fight that this threads about was actually due to Fedorek having his way with Jagr and co. the last time these two teams played. A game in which Orr wasn't playing.
    If Gretzky didn't have Mcsorley playing with him opposing teams wouldn't have thought twice in trying to take him out of his game by intimidation.

    I hope thats make sense.
    excellent explanation of the enforcer

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky24
    Fighting in Hockey is a way the players police themselves. Since it's such a physical sport where checking is a part of the game, having an "enforcer" on your team is a way to make sure the other team doesn't take out your skill players. The reason some fights don't look spontaneous is because often players know they are going to fight before hand. i.e...the fight that this threads about was actually due to Fedorek having his way with Jagr and co. the last time these two teams played. A game in which Orr wasn't playing.
    If Gretzky didn't have Mcsorley playing with him opposing teams wouldn't have thought twice in trying to take him out of his game by intimidation.

    I hope thats make sense.

    So it's like, if you are a major league pitcher, and the star power hitter on your team gets beaned, you go after the first guy up at bat on the other team at the start of the next inning?

  17. #17
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastin3517
    no its not, because there is genuine interest in football, and people actually aspire to be one of those players on the field, unlike hockey, and its players.
    Besides making no sense at all, you belittle the people that love hockey.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    So it's like, if you are a major league pitcher, and the star power hitter on your team gets beaned, you go after the first guy up at bat on the other team at the start of the next inning?
    Exactly.

  19. #19
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky24
    Fighting in Hockey is a way the players police themselves. Since it's such a physical sport where checking is a part of the game, having an "enforcer" on your team is a way to make sure the other team doesn't take out your skill players. The reason some fights don't look spontaneous is because often players know they are going to fight before hand. i.e...the fight that this threads about was actually due to Fedorek having his way with Jagr and co. the last time these two teams played. A game in which Orr wasn't playing.
    If Gretzky didn't have Mcsorley playing with him opposing teams wouldn't have thought twice in trying to take him out of his game by intimidation.

    I hope thats make sense.
    So what is worse a guy, who in the heat of the moment snaps and whacks someone with his stick or a guy who pre-meditates an assault?

  20. #20
    i personally don't watch much hockey......i think it takes away from a sport when you just allow guys to fight constantly..........they want to protect the players.....make stiffer penalties

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us