Thread: Pet Food Recall

Pet Food Recall

I was wondering what your thoughts were concerning the pet food recall (Menufood). About 50 dog food brands and 40 cat food brands are being recalled.

FDA News
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    P07-48
    March 17, 2007
    Media Inquiries:
    Mike Herndon, 301-827-6242
    Consumer Inquiries:
    888-INFO-FDA

Recall of Pet Foods Manufactured by Menu Foods, Inc.
    The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been informed that Menu Foods, Inc., a private-label pet food manufacturer based in Streetsville, Ontario, Canada, is recalling all its "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food produced at its facility in Emporia, Kansas between December 3, 2006 and March 6, 2007. The products are sold in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

The recall was prompted by consumer complaints received by the manufacturer and by tasting trials conducted by the manufacturer. There has been a small number of reported instances of cats and dogs in the United States that developed kidney failure after eating the affected product. To date, Menu Foods, Inc. has reported 14 animal deaths to the FDA. Nine cats died during routine taste trials conducted by the company. Consumers reported deaths of four cats and one dog. The firm has undertaken extensive testing of the pet food products in question, but to date has been unable to find the source of the problem.

The products are packaged in cans and pouches under numerous brand names and are marketed nationwide by many pet food retailers including Ahold USA Inc., Kroger Company, Safeway, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., PetSmart, Inc., and Pet Valu, Inc.

Menu Foods, Inc. has identified the potentially contaminated products on the Internet at www.menufoods.com/recall. Consumers who have any of these products should immediately stop feeding them to their pets. Dogs or cats who have consumed the suspect feed and show signs of kidney failure (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting) should consult with their veterinarian. Menu Foods, Inc. is notifying retailers by telephone and mail and is arranging for the return of all recalled products.

FDA is conducting an investigation and working with Menu Foods, Inc. to ensure the effectiveness of the recall. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-866-895-2708. Consumers who wish to report adverse actions or other problems can go to http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html to contact the FDA complaint coordinator in their state.

####

Menu Foods, Inc. Press Release

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company Press Release

Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc. Press Release

P&G Pet Care Press Release (Consumers who have purchased IAMS or Eukanuba pet food who have questions should check the IAMS web site. Consumers who have purchased other pet food distributed by Menu should contact Menu.)

Several weeks ago our dog was so sick he almost died. A sudden attack of vomiting and a seizure. We had no idea what had caused this. He was otherwise pretty healthy. Now we find out that one of the foods being recalled is Nutro. This is what we had been feeding the dog. Damn it!
    Last edited by chicadeel; 03-22-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chicadeel
    I was wondering what your thoughts were concerning the pet food recall (Menufood).

I hope Grandma is alright....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I wish the cats who pee in my garden would get ahold of some...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

my wife is freaking out about this...our pomeranian, who is 11, has been sh!tting in the house, which she never does, since December...

the new vet (the old one retired a while ago) has been zero help....she went to a pet food store and they gave her different food on Monday but my wife flipped saying they added more foods to the list...

my dog loves poultry- she's 11 years old...I told my wife let's by chicken cutlets, boil them and feed them to her...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    legitimately sorry to hear that CBNY

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    legitimately sorry to hear that CBNY

dogs fine...except for the sh!ts....it's my wife that's freakin out...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY
    dogs fine...except for the sh!ts....it's my wife that's freakin out...

LOL Glad the dog is fine. Sorry your wifes freakin out. I've been cooking food for the dog. Turkey, brown rice and split peas. Last I read they thought it might be a fungal contamination of wheat gluten. The thing that really is disgusting is that they were receiving complaints as long ago as December that animals were dieing and it took this long for a recall.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicadeel
    LOL Glad the dog is fine. Sorry your wifes freakin out. I've been cooking food for the dog. Turkey, brown rice and split peas. Last I read they thought it might be a fungal contamination of wheat gluten. The thing that really is disgusting is that they were receiving complaints as long ago as December that animals were dieing and it took this long for a recall.
    our dog started crapping in the house in December...we gave her Iams packets...chick, beef but not the cuts and gravy...I looked at the food and it looked kind of slimy, so I bought her Iams canned food...

I actually took her to the vet about it after the holidays- the vet took blood, etc and said she was fine except for a touch of colitis...gave her "intestinal food" and in two days she was over it...I specifically asked the vet about the food and she said it was no big deal (this was January)....

the dog stopped crappin in the house until Tuesday, the day afer she ate the food the pet store reccomended as it was not on the list...

I agree with you though, poultry and rice...and I'm sure the dog will agree as well!

Hall Of Fame
    can they eat dry food

Banned
    My cat's not complaining. All week he's been eating chicken and leftover corned beef from St. Patty's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    can they eat dry food

They are saying the dry food is not affected. I'm waiting until they really figure out what caused the problem.

March 23, 2007 — ABC News has learned that investigators have determined that a rodent-killing chemical is the toxin in the tainted pet food that has killed several animals.

A source close to the investigation tells ABC News that the rodenticide, which the source says is illegal to use in the United States, was on wheat that was imported from China and used by Menu Foods in nearly 100 brands of dog and cat food.

A news conference is scheduled for this afternoon by experts in Albany, N.Y., where scientists at the state's food laboratory made the discovery a week after a massive recall of 60 million cans and pouches was issued.

The chemical is called aminopterin.

What investigators can't say so far is whether this is the only contaminant, if it is in all of the recalled food, or if it's in enough quantity in to sicken more animals.

There is some good news according to the source. Knowing the chemical should aid veterinarians who are treating animals that have been sickened by the pet food.

Aminopterin is used in the United States in, of all things, a cancer drug, according to the source.

For a week, investigators have been looking for a cause behind the 15 confirmed pet food deaths tied to contaminated pet food. Many animal doctors, including those at New York's Animal Medical Center, suspect there will be a much larger rash of cases after they learned about an additional 200 reported cases of kidney failure in animals.
    Last edited by chicadeel; 03-23-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Veteran
    If it's not in dry food, my dog's OK, but if he croaks, I'll get another. What gets me is a few dogs croak and it's a crisis, huge recall, yada, yada, but how many thousands of PEOPLE died from cigs? So do we recall cigs? Naw, cain't do thet!

Ain't this a great country??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by asuusa
    ...but how many thousands of PEOPLE died from cigs? So do we recall cigs? Naw, cain't do thet!

Yes, it is. It's called Freedom and Free Will.

Quote Originally Posted by asuusa
    If it's not in dry food, my dog's OK, but if he croaks, I'll get another. What gets me is a few dogs croak and it's a crisis, huge recall, yada, yada, but how many thousands of PEOPLE died from cigs? So do we recall cigs? Naw, cain't do thet!

I think this is alot bigger than just a few animals being poisoned. I wouldn't think they would recall 60 million cans of animal food for a few animals dieing. The numbers may seem conservative now because of many factors including positive proof and veterinary verification. Either way it is disgusting. If you smoke now being fully aware of the hazards and you die its on you. If I buy a can of dog food I don't expect my dog to get sick or die from it. Pretty big difference.