Thread: Wang on the DL

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Wang on the DL

Yankees placed Chien-Ming Wang on the 15-day disabled list Saturday after he pulled his right hamstring while sprinting the day before.

Wang, who was a leading candidate to start on Opening Day, will likely miss a month of action now. "You're talking late April," GM Brian Cashman said. "You don't want stuff like that to happen, but unfortunately it does happen. When they happen, you handle it." This move could open a door for Jeff Karstens to begin the year in the rotation. Mar. 24 - 11:29 am et
    Source: Foxsports.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well **** me.

I guess the only good thing to come out of this is Jeff Karstens will become the 5th starter for a couple weeks. A spot he deserved over Iqawa or Pavano.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-24-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    That means Pettite will start on Opening Day at the Stadium. That will be great.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    not good news........hamstring injuries suck, they are the kind of thing that can linger. hopefully it's not too bad, i was looking forward to seeing if wang could prove me right and have a set-back season....lol

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    not good news........hamstring injuries suck, they are the kind of thing that can linger. hopefully it's not too bad, i was looking forward to seeing if wang could prove me right and have a set-back season....lol
    So far it's looking good for Wang.

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

For a guy supposedly out until late April, Chien-Ming Wang looked pretty healthy this morning.

The Wanger was out on the field at 9:07 a.m. and played catch with Ron Guidry for 13 minutes. He made 70 throws, most from a distance of 120 feet. And he was throwing from a semi windup and putting some zip on the ball.

“I don’t feel anything,” said Wang, who has a slight tear in his right hamstring. “Yesterday I felt it when I walked. Today, nothing.”

Brian Cashman said the team will be cautious and place Wang on the DL to start the season. But that can be backdated into spring training, so Wang could back earlier than initially expected.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    So far it's looking good for Wang.

That is great news. Thanks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm not a doctor, but i don't see how having a tear sounds good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    i'm not a doctor, but i don't see how having a tear sounds good.
    Good thing you're not a doctor then.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It can't be a tear. I've torn my hamstring years ago and it doesn't feel bad one day (said he could hardly walk and that's true) and feel no pain the next. Might have a slight pull is what it sounds like to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason writes: Pete, you wrote that Wang had a “tear” while others wrote it was a “strain.” So which was it?

Answer: Good question. Teams in all sports at all times fib about injuries. A strain is a tear. Any hamstring injury is a tear because the muscle is being torn. There are degrees of tearing (Grade 1, Grade 2, Grade 3) but it’s still a tear. If you read the work of Will Carroll in Baseball Prospectus, he has explained this in the past.