Thread: My first season in Fantasy Baseball--HELP

My first season in Fantasy Baseball--HELP

Supposedly in this league Pitchers are not worth as much as hitters, and we start a guy from each position of the feild(LF, CF, RF instead of 3 OF's).

Any advice would be appreciated, Sleepers, etc.

What are the stats that count in your league for both pitchers and hitters?

Check out the sleepers thread a few threads down - it has some good advice.

If you don't have a CFer after the first 4 or 5 rounds, I'd strongly advise you do wait until at least round 12 (you could probably wait longer, but you'll definitely get him here) and draft Chris B. Young - the rookie CFer from the DBacks. He's going to be a 20 HR, 20 SB guy this year with good average.

definitely need the positions, # of teams and categories to help you out

yup - also the scoring system. Is it a points league? A 5x5? Weekly head to head?

But a quick tip - remember the LIMA strategy: Low Investment Mound Aces. Named for Jose Lima's one and only 20 win season, it's a reminder that pitchers are highly inconsistent (and therefore more likely to both bust and breakout), which is a reason to draft them late.

Thanks you guys. (Weaver, BkBound, Doggin)

Heres the stats

Hitters
    R (1), 1B (1), 2B (2), 3B (3), HR (4), RBI (1), SH (1), SF (1), SB (2), CS (-1), BB (1), HBP (1), K (-1), GIDP (-1), E (-1),

Pitchers
    IP (1.5), W (10), L (-5), CG (10), SHO (10), SV (7), H (-1), ER (-1), BB (-1), HBP (-1), K (1), BLK (-1), SB (-1), GIDP (1), HLD (2)

In a head to head match each week determined by points the winner(The league is more standings with points as the tie breaker).

Each teams puts forth this lineup each week.

All positions on the field including 1 utulity man(DH?). You need a RF, LF, and CF. Not just outfielders and the same with the infeild.

You also have to put forth 5 starting pitchers, and 3 relief pitchers.

The draft is tonight, so I know this is super late but any of you that have any advice---I really have no idea about fantasy baseball so I actually am going to do/try whatever moves you guys recomend. Unfortunetly I dont find out my draft slot until 30 minutes from the draft.

My cousin was telling me that a negative point against pitchers for Hits is ridiculous, so he said he would go after pitchers late. Do you guys agree? Also Im going to go read that sleepers thread.

Thanks in advance.

Edit--Also its a 16 team, full MLB league.

Looking at the categories, it seems like your best bet is to load up on pitching bigtime. 10 points for a win and 1.5 points per inning is huge.

Thanks everyone.

My draft went pretty well for the 1st one ever. Dont get me wrong it was no where near the best because I probably overdrafted name players but My team is decent atleast.

Here it is, in a 16 team league. Here is my draft. I know I picked Ortiz early but I wanted him on my team. As a yankee fan, Having Arod on my team made me want Ortiz for some reason as weird as it sounds.

1. (4) David Ortiz 1B
    2. (29) Vernon Wells CF
    3. (36) Bobby Abreu RF
    4. (61) Brandon Webb SP
    5. (68) Daisuke Matsuzaka SP
    6. (93) John Lackey SP
    7. (100) Nick Swisher 1B,LF
    8. (125) Tom Gordon RP
    9. (132) Joe Crede 3B
    10. (157) Todd Jones RP
    11. (164) A.J. Pierzynski C
    12. (189) Josh Barfield 2B
    13. (196) Adam LaRoche 1B
    14. (221) Orlando Cabrera SS
    15. (228) Gary Matthews Jr. CF
    16. (253) Freddy García SP
    17. (260) Kevin Millwood SP
    18. (285) John Patterson SP
    19. (292) Jake Westbrook SP
    20. (317) Scott Proctor RP
    21. (324) Mike Lowell 3B
    22. (349) Reed Johnson LF, CF, RF
    My last few picks were garbage, but there was literally no one left anywhere.

Would anyone care to give me there opinion on the Bolded players, their players I have not seen play and really dont know much about them.

Anyway What do you guys think?

Edit: Mistkae on the last pick. It was Reed Johnson.
    Last edited by KR; 03-30-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Thanks everyone.

My draft went pretty well for the 1st one ever. Dont get me wrong it was no where near the best because I probably overdrafted name players but My team is decent atleast.

Here it is, in a 16 team league. Here is my draft. I know I picked Ortiz early but I wanted him on my team. As a yankee fan, Having Arod on my team made me want Ortiz for some reason as weird as it sounds.

My last few picks were garbage, but there was literally no one left anywhere.

Would anyone care to give me there opinion on the Bolded players, their players I have not seen play and really dont know much about them.

Anyway What do you guys think?
    LaRoche can definately be a solid 30hr guy again just a ? of if any pirates get on base for him.

Patterson will be a decent pick that late if he stays healthy. Gets a great number of K's and will post a good ERA, but he likely on a 95 loss team and he probably won't stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    LaRoche can definately be a solid 30hr guy again just a ? of if any pirates get on base for him.

Patterson will be a decent pick that late if he stays healthy. Gets a great number of K's and will post a good ERA, but he likely on a 95 loss team and he probably won't stay healthy.

Thanks for the responce.

Anyone have thoughts on Josh Barfield. He he just a JAG? A couple of sites said he could blow up. One site ranked him 3rd overall for 2nd baseman.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Thanks for the responce.

Anyone have thoughts on Josh Barfield. He he just a JAG? A couple of sites said he could blow up. One site ranked him 3rd overall for 2nd baseman.
    J. Patterson 285 overall is a steal, IMHO.....granted he plays for the worst team in the league, but if he's healthy, he gets Ks and will probably have 10+ wins.

Barfield is a nice pickup mostly because your options at 2B are so limited. He can definitely get some SBs for you

Thanks for the responce.

I like the Barfield pick. 2B is really a weak position now, he should be one of the better ones, young hitter who wa decentlast year and has upside to do better things. In a good lineup. Looks like you got good value.
    I also think LaRoche where you got him is a very good pick, imo your best value pick

la roche that late is a steal

on second look, so is westbrook.

your league's scoring system is HORRIBLE though, utterly stupid.

roto is the way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby Brister
    on second look, so is westbrook.

your league's scoring system is HORRIBLE though, utterly stupid.

roto is the way to go!

Second to that....The entire draft was spent with people complaining about the scoring but he didnt want to change it till next year.

Closers are possibly the most imporrtant position now as we have to start 3 RP and they get 7pts per save.

Thanks for the rest of the responces guys.