Thread: Pavano on opening day?

Pavano on opening day?

Ugh. That's sad. But, I'm a little confused. Is Mussina hurt? I don't see anything about Mussina being hurt in the papers, but he's not even being considered for opening day?

Can anyone clear up this quandry for me?

A co-worker told me it has something to do with Mussina not wanting to break with the schedule he is on. The schedule has had him set to pitch game 2, I think, since the start of pre-season games. Remember, opening day is just one game.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist
    Ugh. That's sad. But, I'm a little confused. Is Mussina hurt? I don't see anything about Mussina being hurt in the papers, but he's not even being considered for opening day?

Can anyone clear up this quandry for me?
    SINYJets has it right. Moose is not being considered for opening day because he was all setup to pitch game 2, and the only way the Yankees could have had him be ready for opening day was to either use him on short rest in his last ST start or have him pitch on short rest on opening day. Both, IMO, would have been idiotic. No reason to screw with Moose's pre-season schedule (and as a 38 year old pitcher, he really needs all of pre-season to build up his arm strength) just to pitch in a game that means no more than the next game.

Pettitte probably could have pitched opening day, but with his back and the Yankees always being extra careful, they want to get him 2 bullpen sessions before he pitches on a mound again.

It kind of sucks that Pavano is the opening day starter, but it's the way the cookie crumbles and it's really not a big deal.