Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US 'no longer technology king'

All Pro

US 'no longer technology king'

Thank you GWB. Why don't you and Cheney just f@cking quit already!!!

The US has lost its position as the world's primary engine of technology innovation, according to a report by the World Economic Forum.
    The US is now ranked seventh in the body's league table measuring the impact of technology on the development of nations.

A deterioration of the political and regulatory environment in the US prompted the fall, the report said.

The top spot went for the first time to Denmark, followed by Sweden.

Innovation

Countries were judged on technological advancements in general business, the infrastructure available and the extent to which government policy creates a framework necessary for economic development and increased competitiveness.

The Networked Readiness Index, the sixth of its kind published by the World Economic Forum with Insead, the Paris-based business school, scrutinised progress in 122 economies worldwide.

Despite losing its top position, the US still maintained a strong focus on innovation, driven by one of the world's best tertiary education systems and its high degree of co-operation with industry, the report said.

NETWORKED READINESS INDEX RANKINGS 2006 (2005)
    1: Denmark (3)
    2: Sweden (8)
    3: Singapore (2)
    4: Finland (5)
    5: Switzerland (9)
    6: Netherlands (12)
    7: US (1)
    8: Iceland (4)
    9: UK (10)
    10: Norway (13)
    Source: WEF

The country's efficient market environment, conducive to the availability of venture capital, and the sophistication of financial markets, was also given recognition.

Nordic crown

Denmark is now regarded as the world leader in technological innovation and application, with its Nordic neighbours Sweden, Finland and Norway claiming second, fourth and 10th place respectively.

"Denmark, in particular, has benefited from the very effective government e-leadership, reflected in early liberalisation of the telecommunications sector, a first-rate regulatory environment and large availability of e-government services," said Irene Mia, senior economist at World Economic Forum.

European countries to make the top 20 included Switzerland in fifth place, the Netherlands, one of the most improved in sixth, the UK (nine), Germany (16), Austria (17) and Estonia (20).

While countries from Asia and the Pacific continued to progress, the powerhouse economies of China and India both showed a downward trend.

India was four positions down on last year to 44th, suffering from weak infrastructure and a very low level of individual usage of personal computers and the internet.

China was knocked to 59th place, nine positions down, with information technology uptake in Chinese firms lagging.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6502725.stm

This is directly related to the H-1B issue you are against. We all know Americans do not become engineers. We used to rely on imports to come here to study and develop their skills. Now, because there are not enough H-1B numbers, engineers are not ivesting to come to school here because they know when they graduate there will not be jobs available because there is no way they can get the papers to get employed.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg
    BDS strikes again!

Lord knows you won't quit. If you hated on your country any more, why, you'd probably just crimple up into a few angry pixels on a computer screen and fume bright red.

Oh, wait, that's what you are doing. Way to fight the man, jetdawgg, living room revolutionary!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by HDCentStOhio
    BDS strikes again!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    The idea that this ranking somehow lies at the feet of GWB and Cheney only is such a leap of ignorance as to be almost unworthy of comment.

I still await the day PuppyDawgg posts something positive about the Nation he is so strident and self-serving about having "served". You'd almost think he likes posting all this negativity, wouldn't you.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mallamalla
    This is directly related to the H-1B issue you are against. We all know Americans do not become engineers. We used to rely on imports to come here to study and develop their skills. Now, because there are not enough H-1B numbers, engineers are not ivesting to come to school here because they know when they graduate there will not be jobs available because there is no way they can get the papers to get employed.
    Whatever happened to American independence? The war has caused a lot of precious resources and monies to be funneled in that direction.

That definetly falls into the hands of Bushco. This clearly has transpired on his watch. America, no longer an independent nation.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance
    Lord knows you won't quit. If you hated on your country any more, why, you'd probably just crimple up into a few angry pixels on a computer screen and fume bright red.

Oh, wait, that's what you are doing. Way to fight the man, jetdawgg, living room revolutionary!
    That is the problem with you republicans, you cannot separate the country or the war or the troops or the poilicies of the government.

I did not say anything about the country that is negative. It is Bush and Cheney that I want out of office. Don't you see a difference in that?

Start reading what I post instead of what you think I post. Start coming to an understanding that policy of the admin is different than the country. The country has no policy. The administration does sets the agenda. Not the country.

Understand?

What is this Sesame Street?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish
    The idea that this ranking somehow lies at the feet of GWB and Cheney only is such a leap of ignorance as to be almost unworthy of comment.

I still await the day PuppyDawgg posts something positive about the Nation he is so strident and self-serving about having "served". You'd almost think he likes posting all this negativity, wouldn't you.
    Scaredofwarfish, I don't know where and how you come to these conclusions?

The Bush agenda is about war, not about education. It is clear that we had the lead when Clinton was in office. In the Bush admin we have fallen to 7th and may continue sliding. Clearly fallen all on his watch.

The link is from the UK so the 'liberal' media over here won't show this.

If you saw, I posted about Nancy Pelosi doing a great job unmasking all of the corruption going on. How could you miss that? The oversight is working and I am all for it.

All League
    That is the problem with you republicans, you cannot separate the country or the war or the troops or the poilicies of the government.

I did not say anything about the country that is negative. It is Bush and Cheney that I want out of office. Don't you see a difference in that?

Start reading what I post instead of what you think I post. Start coming to an understanding that policy of the admin is different than the country. The country has no policy. The administration does sets the agenda. Not the country.

Understand?

What is this Sesame Street?
    And how is this ranking "the fault" of OUR President and Vice-President? You find some "problem" with the country and instantly blame Bush. It is comical.

Dawgg- I realize you have a major dislike for this administration and I'm sure you love this country. Is there anything that you could cut and paste that would be positive in relation to America?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HDCentStOhio
    And how is this ranking "the fault" of OUR President and Vice-President? You find some "problem" with the country and instantly blame Bush. It is comical.
    Bush is the leader and he sets the all the policies for the nation particularly when it comes to global rankings. He was handed a 1st Place Team. Under his stewardship our nation has declined, The numbers speak for themselves.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chicadeel
    Dawgg- I realize you have a major dislike for this administration and I'm sure you love this country. Is there anything that you could cut and paste that would be positive in relation to America?
    Lady, you are correct on both measures. I'll improvise as much as I can. At least 50/50. Ping me if I don't.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Scaredofwarfish, I don't know where and how you come to these conclusions?

The Bush agenda is about war, not about education. It is clear that we had the lead when Clinton was in office. In the Bush admin we have fallen to 7th and may continue sliding. Clearly fallen all on his watch.

The link is from the UK so the 'liberal' media over here won't show this.

If you saw, I posted about Nancy Pelosi doing a great job unmasking all of the corruption going on. How could you miss that? The oversight is working and I am all for it.
    I would laugh at your hilarious ignorance of facts in your quest for extreme liberal world domination, but I'd be afriad you'd start telling us how big and tough you are (yet again), and perhaps even ask if anyone could take a "powershot" from you. And really, no one wants to see that.

You keep on trucking there PuppyDawgg. You're a legend in your own mind.

All League
    Bush is the leader and he sets the all the policies for the nation particularly when it comes to global rankings. He was handed a 1st Place Team. Under his stewardship our nation has declined, The numbers speak for themselves.
    So by your logic it is Bush's fault we didn't win the Gold Medal in Men's Basketball in the 2004 Olympics, because Clinton handed him a Gold Medal winning team from 2000. Keep up the unintentional comedy, Dawgg.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chicadeel

don't count on it

It is Bush and Cheney that I want out of office.
    Go take a two-year walk.

All League
    No actually it is the Education System in this country. The teachers union in Mn has a strangehold on the state govt. and no one has the balls to cut them loose. 100Million in taxes and 82% goes to salaries and administrative costs. Look at the inner city schools they are a joke!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan
    No actually it is the Education System in this country. The teachers union in Mn has a strangehold on the state govt. and no one has the balls to cut them loose. 100Million in taxes and 82% goes to salaries and administrative costs. Look at the inner city schools they are a joke!
    sorry we only spend money rebuilding schools in Iraq, not America

flushingjet
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    sorry we only spend money rebuilding schools in Iraq, not America
    well, we know your school district was underfunded and
    your free school breakfast/lunch was a pack of twinkies
    and a coke

more politically motivated nonsense

"World Economic Forum"....who dat? Bono?

"A deterioration of the political and regulatory environment in the US prompted the fall"

"the extent to which government policy creates a framework necessary for economic development and increased competitiveness"

sure......

does anyone really believe that?

as was discussed ad infinitum in the "Monsanto" threads
    the gripe is that innovative nations and companies dont
    hand their technology over to other companies/nations for free/
    a few pfennigs

we have been & still are the most wired and technologically capable country
    we lead even japan in patents

denmark has great danishes, true
    and those cool mohammed cartoons

finland has nokia, finlandia..and, and....herring rollmops?