Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Some Sleepers? Your thoughts?

  1. #1

    Some Sleepers? Your thoughts?

    Alright, so Ive been doing this for a week and Im realizing my league is very deep because EVERY friggin sleeper is taking in my league.

    So Here is my sleepers that Im keeping on My watch list. Please keep in mind its a 16 team league and the top 300 players are already taken.

    Hitters--

    -Jose Vidro--(1b, 2b, DH)--Has 2b eligibility and will be the full time DH for seattle batting third in their lineup. Most fans are happy with the guy who used to be a very good hitter.

    -Scott Hairston--LF---Guy put up nasty numbers last year, and absolutely had a great Spring training. Will be taking the spot that Quinton left open.

    --Luke Scott--OF--Put up good numbers second half of last year, and will be the opening day starter in houston.

    --Josh Hamilton--OF--Nice story, probably a better sleeper during the middle of the year.

    --Miguel Montero-C-Big time prospect that looks to intiially split time with Snyder but has some upside if he gets the full time job. More of a guy to follow for the future.

    --Wilson Betemit--Eligible everywhere--Has played bad but will get his first chance to open on a team as Laroche was sent down. His one chance for a guy that most people were very high on.

    --Kelly Johnson--2B--Leadoff hitter in Atlanta.

    --David Ross--Guy has 25-30 HR potential from a catcher. Someone to follow as his HR's were ridiculous last year in the amount of time he played.

    ---Gerald Laird--C--guy has played well, and in a good lineup in a favorable stadium.



    Pitchers---

    -Tony Pena--Future closer
    -Jeff Supan--My league starts 5 SP a week, Yea desperate.
    -Jeff Weaver-Diddo, may like him better then Suppan.
    -Coffey--Actually picked him up today as Hermanson was released. Some Red fans think this will be his job to take in a few weeks and will have a breakout year.
    Mccarthy--Just watching him, Wasnt this kid supposed to be great?
    Angel Guzman--Someone to watch for down the line with a big upside. Maybe just a RP this year.
    Fausto Carmona---All I can think of is the Red Sox game with him as the closer but this kid has good stuff, and may be better off as a starter.
    Tom Gorzelanny--The Pirates 3rd starter this year, Has potential.


    What do you think? Which guys do you like?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Alright, so Ive been doing this for a week and Im realizing my league is very deep because EVERY friggin sleeper is taking in my league.

    So Here is my sleepers that Im keeping on My watch list. Please keep in mind its a 16 team league and the top 300 players are already taken.

    Hitters--

    -Jose Vidro--(1b, 2b, DH)--Has 2b eligibility and will be the full time DH for seattle batting third in their lineup. Most fans are happy with the guy who used to be a very good hitter.

    -Scott Hairston--LF---Guy put up nasty numbers last year, and absolutely had a great Spring training. Will be taking the spot that Quinton left open.

    --Luke Scott--OF--Put up good numbers second half of last year, and will be the opening day starter in houston.

    --Josh Hamilton--OF--Nice story, probably a better sleeper during the middle of the year.

    --Miguel Montero-C-Big time prospect that looks to intiially split time with Snyder but has some upside if he gets the full time job. More of a guy to follow for the future.

    --Wilson Betemit--Eligible everywhere--Has played bad but will get his first chance to open on a team as Laroche was sent down. His one chance for a guy that most people were very high on.

    --Kelly Johnson--2B--Leadoff hitter in Atlanta.

    --David Ross--Guy has 25-30 HR potential from a catcher. Someone to follow as his HR's were ridiculous last year in the amount of time he played.

    ---Gerald Laird--C--guy has played well, and in a good lineup in a favorable stadium.



    Pitchers---

    -Tony Pena--Future closer
    -Jeff Supan--My league starts 5 SP a week, Yea desperate.
    -Jeff Weaver-Diddo, may like him better then Suppan.
    -Coffey--Actually picked him up today as Hermanson was released. Some Red fans think this will be his job to take in a few weeks and will have a breakout year.
    Mccarthy--Just watching him, Wasnt this kid supposed to be great?
    Angel Guzman--Someone to watch for down the line with a big upside. Maybe just a RP this year.
    Fausto Carmona---All I can think of is the Red Sox game with him as the closer but this kid has good stuff, and may be better off as a starter.
    Tom Gorzelanny--The Pirates 3rd starter this year, Has potential.


    What do you think? Which guys do you like?
    I like Betemit, in fact he's my starting 2B - that's what happens when you wait until the last round to take a 2B. Eligible everywhere, has power with 18 HR last year in about 375 ABs, that's a very good HR/AB ratio.

    Also like Luke Scott as a potential sleeper, did very well in limited time last year. Just picked him up today actually. Worth checking out, see if he picks up where he left off last year, if he doesn't early then drop him, no big deal.

    I think Vidro is basically finished, was good a few years ago but aged quickly.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toledo Area, Ohio
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Alright, so Ive been doing this for a week and Im realizing my league is very deep because EVERY friggin sleeper is taking in my league.

    So Here is my sleepers that Im keeping on My watch list. Please keep in mind its a 16 team league and the top 300 players are already taken.

    Hitters--

    -Jose Vidro--(1b, 2b, DH)--Has 2b eligibility and will be the full time DH for seattle batting third in their lineup. Most fans are happy with the guy who used to be a very good hitter.

    -Scott Hairston--LF---Guy put up nasty numbers last year, and absolutely had a great Spring training. Will be taking the spot that Quinton left open.

    --Luke Scott--OF--Put up good numbers second half of last year, and will be the opening day starter in houston.

    --Josh Hamilton--OF--Nice story, probably a better sleeper during the middle of the year.

    --Miguel Montero-C-Big time prospect that looks to intiially split time with Snyder but has some upside if he gets the full time job. More of a guy to follow for the future.

    --Wilson Betemit--Eligible everywhere--Has played bad but will get his first chance to open on a team as Laroche was sent down. His one chance for a guy that most people were very high on.

    --Kelly Johnson--2B--Leadoff hitter in Atlanta.

    --David Ross--Guy has 25-30 HR potential from a catcher. Someone to follow as his HR's were ridiculous last year in the amount of time he played.

    ---Gerald Laird--C--guy has played well, and in a good lineup in a favorable stadium.



    Pitchers---

    -Tony Pena--Future closer
    -Jeff Supan--My league starts 5 SP a week, Yea desperate.
    -Jeff Weaver-Diddo, may like him better then Suppan.
    -Coffey--Actually picked him up today as Hermanson was released. Some Red fans think this will be his job to take in a few weeks and will have a breakout year.
    Mccarthy--Just watching him, Wasnt this kid supposed to be great?
    Angel Guzman--Someone to watch for down the line with a big upside. Maybe just a RP this year.
    Fausto Carmona---All I can think of is the Red Sox game with him as the closer but this kid has good stuff, and may be better off as a starter.
    Tom Gorzelanny--The Pirates 3rd starter this year, Has potential.


    What do you think? Which guys do you like?
    These are not exactly sleepers to the fantasy draft guru, but I feel they will have breakout years......

    1. Rickie Weeks 2nd Base Mil.
    2. Coner Jackson 1st Base Arizona
    3. Shannon Stewart OF Oakland

    Those are mine for whats its worth

  4. #4
    Vidro is no sleeper anymore. This could have been said before the knee injuries set in, but he's got no power at all now. He's 32 with bad knees, I don't expect much of him. Such a dumb deal for Seattle, at least Snelling 25 with injuries.

    Hairston should be someones LFer somewhere. He can hit, but expect nothing from David Ross.

    A few sleeper hitters this year are the yong guys who may or may not have learned a couple things. Think Jeremy Hermida, Rickie Weeks, Stephen Drew, and so on. And JD Drew somehow always ends up being overlooked, but the guys an elite player when he's healthy. In Boston he could be a monster. I love the Betemit and Johnson picks especially from you.

    If you're looking for a sleeper pitcher look no further than David Bush. He's got amazing peripherals (K/9, BB/9 especially), and he's got a much better arm than given credit for. He's got a very similar profile to Oswalt, including a low 90's fastball and a very nasty slow curve.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    Vidro is no sleeper anymore. This could have been said before the knee injuries set in, but he's got no power at all now. He's 32 with bad knees, I don't expect much of him. Such a dumb deal for Seattle, at least Snelling 25 with injuries.

    Hairston should be someones LFer somewhere. He can hit, but expect nothing from David Ross.

    A few sleeper hitters this year are the yong guys who may or may not have learned a couple things. Think Jeremy Hermida, Rickie Weeks, Stephen Drew, and so on. And JD Drew somehow always ends up being overlooked, but the guys an elite player when he's healthy. In Boston he could be a monster. I love the Betemit and Johnson picks especially from you.

    If you're looking for a sleeper pitcher look no further than David Bush. He's got amazing peripherals (K/9, BB/9 especially), and he's got a much better arm than given credit for. He's got a very similar profile to Oswalt, including a low 90's fastball and a very nasty slow curve.
    This guy knows his stuff.

    PS. Rickie Weeks is ranked as a top five 2B by most experts, it is hard to consider him a sleeper

    A true sleeper would be Zach Grienke coming back from anxiety disorder, in ST he had a 27:2 K/BB ratio. Granted it is ST but still. Won't get many wins on KC, but he could give you solid K's and WHIP.
    Last edited by IM3; 04-02-2007 at 12:24 AM.

  6. #6
    I think Greinke kicks ass, he's one of my favorite players to watch. He REALLY needs to stop giving up HRs though.

    Oh man, and he's finally getting recognition for what he did two years ago and just how good he is...but look out for Ben Sheets. The injuries don't seem to be bothering him right now, and the guy struck out 116 guys in 106 innings and walked ELEVEN. He's the best pitcher in the NL and one of the top 3 pitchers in the game when he's healthy.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    I think Greinke kicks ass, he's one of my favorite players to watch. He REALLY needs to stop giving up HRs though.

    Oh man, and he's finally getting recognition for what he did two years ago and just how good he is...but look out for Ben Sheets. The injuries don't seem to be bothering him right now, and the guy struck out 116 guys in 106 innings and walked ELEVEN. He's the best pitcher in the NL and one of the top 3 pitchers in the game when he's healthy.
    Sheet's K/BB ratio is amazing, but he can't be considered better than Zambrano, Carpenter or Oswalt until he stays healthy on a consistent basis and/or wins more games. I know wins is a team dependent stat but the most amount of wins he ever had is 12.

    BTW: What team are you a fan of?

  8. #8
    Wow, Thanks for the replies guys. I didnt expect that many in this forum.
    So far consensus is Betemit, So Im thinking of dropping my backup 3rd baseman Mike Lowell for him.

    I like Hairston and Luke Scott, and basically those are the only guys on the list I would consider picking up quickly.

    The thing is this. Just about every normal sleeper you can think of: Alex Gordan, Ricky Weeks, Greinke, Snell, Loewan, Kouzanoff, Garza, Hughes, Paulino, Connor Jackson, Delmon Young, Chris Young, Sheilds, Duke, Wolf, Cain, Bonser (Josh hamilton just got picked up)

    These guys are no Joke, anyone that is a hot prospect or on a sleeper list somewhere is on a team.

    Sadly, The best I can come up with is on the List in this thread. The league is 16 teams with 22 spots and 4 DL spots(Which everyone is using-Roger Clemens etc)---So the anywhere around the top 350-400 top players are off the board.

    Thanks for the Info again, should I drop Betemit for Lowell?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Wow, Thanks for the replies guys. I didnt expect that many in this forum.
    So far consensus is Betemit, So Im thinking of dropping my backup 3rd baseman Mike Lowell for him.

    I like Hairston and Luke Scott, and basically those are the only guys on the list I would consider picking up quickly.

    The thing is this. Just about every normal sleeper you can think of: Alex Gordan, Ricky Weeks, Greinke, Snell, Loewan, Kouzanoff, Garza, Hughes, Paulino, Connor Jackson, Delmon Young, Chris Young, Sheilds, Duke, Wolf, Cain, Bonser (Josh hamilton just got picked up)

    These guys are no Joke, anyone that is a hot prospect or on a sleeper list somewhere is on a team.

    Sadly, The best I can come up with is on the List in this thread. The league is 16 teams with 22 spots and 4 DL spots(Which everyone is using-Roger Clemens etc)---So the anywhere around the top 350-400 top players are off the board.

    Thanks for the Info again, should I drop Betemit for Lowell?
    no! the upisde and potential of betemit are far grater than the known quantity of 40 doubles and nothing else for lowell

  10. #10
    bobby crosby is going to stay healthy all year, and be in the top 5 SS in the league. look for 30hr, .280 100 rbi

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by oxscott
    bobby crosby is going to stay healthy all year, and be in the top 5 SS in the league. look for 30hr, .280 100 rbi
    This is like the 4th straight year we have heard this. I'll believe it when I see it. Last year he had a Rey Ordonezesque OPS.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    This is like the 4th straight year we have heard this. I'll believe it when I see it. Last year he had a Rey Ordonezesque OPS.

    the forbidden zone

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan89
    the forbidden zone
    I can't believe he almost made a major league roster this year.

  14. #14
    BJ Upton available? Didn't look like he'd be getting much playing time, but now he is because DRays sent Cantu down. Should be at least a good SB guy, maybe more, was considered one of the top prospects recently

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7
    BJ Upton available? Didn't look like he'd be getting much playing time, but now he is because DRays sent Cantu down. Should be at least a good SB guy, maybe more, was considered one of the top prospects recently
    Hes going to be the Drays starting 2B.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Sheet's K/BB ratio is amazing, but he can't be considered better than Zambrano, Carpenter or Oswalt until he stays healthy on a consistent basis and/or wins more games. I know wins is a team dependent stat but the most amount of wins he ever had is 12.

    BTW: What team are you a fan of?
    Cubs.

    W-L record is as dumb in baseball to judge pitchers with as it is in football to judge QBs with. They control very few factors that go into a W or L.

    I think Sheets is better than Z when he's healthy simply because Z walks like a million guys. Anyone walking almost 5 guys a start is someone to watch, cause its usually a sign of future trouble.

    Oswalt and Carpenter are probably Sheet's two best competitors in the NL. Sheets is more dominanting than both (better K/9), and while all three have great control, he owns them there too. I would say they all make it close though because Sheets doesn't get the GBs Carp does, and hasn't been as healthy as Oswalt. But Sheets was a guy who consistently threw 200+ innings until the past couple of years, and he's really been dominant when he's pitched.

    Honestly, Oswalt and Carpenter make it close, but I think Sheets' pure dominance beats both of them.

    Oh btw, I don't play fantasy but for anyone who does: get Elijah Dukes. He's going to be a better hitter than Young IMO. He's got ridiculous powerh himself, will hit for good average, but the thing that seperates them is Duke's plate discipline.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-02-2007 at 03:50 PM.

  17. #17
    Luke Scott, and Hairston got off to some nice starts.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us