Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devils Fire Coach!!

Devils Fire Coach!!

I don't follow the Devils too closely, but was there a reason for this?? Seems a little surprising to do this now, especially for a 100 point team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2822234

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Claude Julien was fired as New Jersey Devils coach Monday and replaced by general manager Lou Lamoriello with a week to go in the regular season.

The firing comes after the Devils won four of their last five games. The team is in first place in the Atlantic Division with three games to go.

Julien guided the Devils to the second-best record in the Eastern Conference, posting a 47-24-8 mark in his only season as coach.

The move marks the second time in as many seasons that Lamoriello has stepped behind the bench. Last season he led the Devils to the Atlantic Division title after Larry Robinson resigned unexpectedly in December.

Monday's firing isn't the only time Lamoriello made a late-season coaching move. He fired Robby Ftorek late in the 2002-2003 season and Robinson eventually led the team to its third Stanley Cup since 1995.

Why would they fire this guy when they have had a great year?

All Pro
    Lou is an egomaniac, thats why

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige
    Why would they fire this guy when they have had a great year?

Maybe they have someone better waiting in the wings. Or maybe it was internal politics... who knows, this is a huge shock to me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Wow. Must've been some kind of incident. The team's been doing quite well, even with all the injuries. Lou's a capable coach himself, but it'll be interesting to see who comes in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Maybe Claude slept with Lou's wife.

Dumb. He did this last year...Way to shake up the team a week before the playoffs. I mean, it worked in 99, when he got them a cup, but I don't understand it. Julien really had this team playing well...Maybe it has something to do with Pittsburgh catching them in the standings?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken O'Brien #7
    Dumb. He did this last year...Way to shake up the team a week before the playoffs. I mean, it worked in 99, when he got them a cup, but I don't understand it. Julien really had this team playing well...Maybe it has something to do with Pittsburgh catching them in the standings?
    You can't call a team dumb that's won 3 cups in the last 10 years.

Lol, is it because the Devils have no track record of success?

Lou knows what he's doing. An unfavorable matchup last year in the playoffs against the Hurricanes (eventual Stanley Cup champion) is what stopped a 15 game winning streak under the master. Trust, the Devils are in good hands.

Jets Insider VIP
    What I think Lou needs to worry about the most is the fact that Brodeur has been overworked this year IMO. By the time the regular season is over, Brodeur will have played in 79 games. That's insane when you consider the grueling road to the Cup. That's not easy for a 25 year old much less a 34 year old. What makes me scratch my head with the Devils is you look at their defense oriented team and the vast majority of the players are minus. How they are where they are in the standings is miraculous.

Quote Originally Posted by JETS_for_life

Lou knows what he's doing. An unfavorable matchup last year in the playoffs against the Hurricanes (eventual Stanley Cup champion) is what stopped a 15 game winning streak under the master. Trust, the Devils are in good hands.

Why the hell does he hire these guys if they can't get through a season? For each clever move he's makign by canning guys now you have to look at it as a dumb move by hiring them in the 1st place.

Very strange indeed. If the team crashes he will have alot of questions. I thought the guy was doing great but as I'm no a Devil fan, who knows??

All Pro
    Last time they did it, they won the cup so I wont question it

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Last time they did it, they won the cup so I wont question it
    The last time he did it they got shelled by Carolina in the playoffs.

He has had success before with this, like I said, but I just don't get it...If he is so much better of a coach than Julien, then why didn't he just coach the team all year long? It just doesn't make sense...If you were struggling, and in a slump whereas putting you in the 6, 7, 8 spot of the playoffs, then yes, make a change...but not when you are battling for 1st place in your division and have won 4 of 5 on the home stretch.

This team is not your Daddy's Devils. They have many more weaknesses than previous Devil teams, and are not even close to as good as some of those cup teams. Not to mention that Brodeur is going to be running on "E" by the time the 2nd round comes.

At this point, the Devils better hope that they win their division. Because I think Ottawa will bounce them in the first round if they don't.

He has had success before with this, like I said, but I just don't get it...If he is so much better of a coach than Julien, then why didn't he just coach the team all year long? It just doesn't make sense...If you were struggling, and in a slump whereas putting you in the 6, 7, 8 spot of the playoffs, then yes, make a change...but not when you are battling for 1st place in your division and have won 4 of 5 on the home stretch.
    if the under-manned and worn-out Devils got "shelled," Buffalo got anally-assaulted by Carolina.

i will still take the Devils over Buffalo any day of the week come playoff time. if and when the Devils return to full strength, say bye bye to your "Destiny" team, lol.

This team is not your Daddy's Devils. They have many more weaknesses than previous Devil teams, and are not even close to as good as some of those cup teams. Not to mention that Brodeur is going to be running on "E" by the time the 2nd round comes.

At this point, the Devils better hope that they win their division. Because I think Ottawa will bounce them in the first round if they don't.
    And if Carolina were to sneak into the 8th seed I guarantee you they would bounce little Buffalo out before they knew what hit them.

And if Carolina were to sneak into the 8th seed I guarantee you they would bounce little Buffalo out before they knew what hit them.
    LOL...You wish. Let me know how that first round exit goes for your tired Devils team this year. It will be great to watch.

And as for the Sabres getting "Anally Assaulted", please. You can't even compare a team that got beat 4-1 in a series by Carolina to a team that was playing with only 3 regular defensemen and took Carolina to 7 games in the ECC game.

Sigh...I am not going to get into this with you again Jets_for_Life. It's like talking to a brick wall. I'm sure you feel the same way...

Playoffs start in a week. May the best team win.
    Last edited by UncleRico82; 04-02-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

I still can't get over those Stanley Cup celebrations in the Meadowlands parking lot. Successful team. Low class organization.

Last time they had no choice though, Larry Robinson retired cause he was having "throbbing head aches" or something like that. But he did really turn that team around. Let's hope it continues .

Exactly. I don't think this team would go anywhere in the playoffs with Julien as coach. They have been playing very inconsistent over the past month and hopefully this can shake things up and get them back on the right track just in time for a playoff run.