Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Thoughts...

Opening Day Thoughts...

- The D'Rays have talent. Upton, Crawford, Dukes, Young, and Kazmir are going to be one hell of a nucleus.

- Alex Rodriguez looks great this year. He's lost weight, his bat speed is back to ridiculous, and so on. Too bad he'll never be a true Yankee and clutch and as good as the Queen and so on.

- Carlos Zambrano's 4-5 BBs per start are really going to start pissing me off. I'm not a fan of a guy we label an "ace" doing this. He's young, overworked, doesn't stay in shape, but he kicks ass at being a pitcher. Hopefully he holds up for a long kickass career anyway. I don't know how he'll do it by upping his FBs, HRs, and BBs, but he does it.

- Josh Hamilton is a great story, and Cinci is the perfect place for him. You can't not root for this guy.

- Ben Sheets kicks all ass. Seriously.

- Brett Myers needs to be talked about more. He's in a park that loves to cough up HRs, but he's a damn good young pitcher. He lost 30 pounds this offseason, and he looked absolutely dominant today.

- I really need to stop being so pessimitic as a Cubs fan.

- I cannot wait to have more Derek Jeter is the clutchest clutch person to be clutch EVER arguments.

- Baseball kicks sooooooooo muuuuuuuch asssssss.

*Sorry for repeatedly saying a**.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-02-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    - The D'Rays have talent. Upton, Crawford, Dukes, Young, and Kazmir are going to be one hell of a nucleus.

- Alex Rodriguez looks great this year. He's lost weight, his bat speed is back to ridiculous, and so on. Too bad he'll never be a true Yankee and clutch and as good as the Queen and so on.

- Carlos Zambrano's 4-5 BBs per start are really going to start pissing me off. I'm not a fan of a guy we label an "ace" doing this. He's young, overworked, doesn't stay in shape, but he kicks ass at being a pitcher. Hopefully he holds up for a long kickass career anyway. I don't know how he'll do it by upping his FBs, HRs, and BBs, but he does it.

- Josh Hamilton is a great story, and Cinci is the perfect place for him. You can't not root for this guy.

- Ben Sheets kicks all ass. Seriously.

- Brett Myers needs to be talked about more. He's in a park that loves to cough up HRs, but he's a damn good young pitcher. He lost 30 pounds this offseason, and he looked absolutely dominant today.

- I really need to stop being so pessimitic as a Cubs fan.

- I cannot wait to have more Derek Jeter is the clutchest clutch person to be clutch EVER arguments.

- Baseball kicks sooooooooo muuuuuuuch asssssss.

*Sorry for repeatedly saying a**.

Haha good stuff. Jeter was pretty clutch today as usual.

If I can add---Great stuff Mr Cy Young Webb--Nice way to walk the bases full.

Oh quick question for the baseball fans on this board:

Is this one of those boards that will have a ton of people saying that Jeter is just super-duper clutch?

You know I think I'd like Jeter quite a bit if people would stop saying that stuff.

Is this one of those boards that will have a ton of people saying that Jeter is just super-duper clutch?

You know I think I'd like Jeter quite a bit if people would stop saying that stuff.
    Nothing wrong with stating the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    Nothing wrong with stating the truth.
    Except its not even close to statistically true. It's just a bunch of cherry picked "hero" moments that get lauded because he's the SS of the NY Yankees and the papers love him.

This is board that regardless of true/false your going to have people stating both sides.

And if those people that must be a contrarian are proved wrong with statistics or facts they'll usually will not budge from the argument and usually retaliate with one liners, or useless post.

With that being said, as a Yankee fan I dont think Jeter is some super clutch player but with the game on the line I would probably want him at Bat.

Gato,

As a cubs fan, who do you think will be the long term closer on the team?

Except its not even close to statistically true. It's just a bunch of cherry picked "hero" moments that get lauded because he's the SS of the NY Yankees and the papers love him.
    I will say it again...

I guess a man who has the most runs, total bases, and hits EVER in the post season isn't that clutch after all.

He is also top 5 in homeruns, top 3 in RBI's, top 6 in walks, top 6 in stolen bases, and 2nd in extra base hits.

You can say I'm cherry picking these stats all day.... But they are what they are.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-02-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Gato,

As a cubs fan, who do you think will be the long term closer on the team?
    Honestly, I can't say.

I don't put much value in the closer position, unless its a Rivera/Hoffman/etc. But look at some of the very good closers in the game today.

I just want someone who can throw strikes, get K's, and get groundballs.

I can't even think of an option right now within the orginization that I like ALOT for the long term. But basically I like to scrounge around the minor leagues looking for hard throwing guys with a a very good breaking ball/changeup, decent enough control, and keeps the ball in the park. Relievers are just too volatile beyond the elite guys.

I will say it again...

I guess a man who has the most runs, total bases, and hits EVER in the post season isn't that clutch after all.

He is also top 5 in homeruns, top 3 in RBI's, top 6 in walks, top 6 in stolen bases, and 2nd in extra base hits.

You can say I'm cherry picking these stats all day.... But they are what they are.
    Dude, he has those countables racked up because he's played more postseason games than ALOT of guys. He's been in TWENTY FOUR postseason series'.

Jeter in the regular season:

.317/.388/.463

Jeter in the postseason:

.314/.384/.479

Big difference? I see none.

Btw, control the rolleyes things. Its obnoxious, and honestly doesn't make you look like the brightest tool in the shed.

Dude, he has those countables racked up because he's played more postseason games than ALOT of guys.

Jeter in the regular season:

.317/.388/.463

Jeter in the postseason:

.314/.384/.479

Big difference? I see none.

Btw, control the rolleyes things. Its obnoxious, and honestly doesn't make you look like the brightest tool in the shed.
    You have to perform when you get there buddy. Tons of players get there and do nothing. Jeter is in a whole other league.

And thanks for showing me those numbers and reminding me how consistent of a player he is.

If you don't like my smilies.. close your eyes.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-02-2007 at 05:40 PM.

You have to perform when you get there buddy. Tons of players get there and do nothing. Jeter is in a whole other league.

And thanks for showing me those numbers and reminding me how consistent of a player he is.

If you don't like my smilies.. close your eyes.
    Yes, and if you look at his stats...you see that Jeter performs alot like...Jeter.

He's a good player, he's doing what good players do. Over the long term, he looks alot like himself statistically.

It's not "consistency"...its WHO HE IS. If you understand the concept of sample size (my hopes aren't up about that), then you understand that the more something happens, the more it starts to normalize to what its expected to do. Jeter has almost a full season worth of ABs in the playoffs, and he looks alot like he typically does in the regular season.

But...don't let these crazy stats and facts get in the way of a good ol' Jeter BJ.

Don't you think we should put into the account that normal in the regular season is not normal in the post season. It's on a whole different level.

Schilling got knocked around by the Royals....

Don't you think we should put into the account that normal in the regular season is not normal in the post season. It's on a whole different level.
    Yes, the competition is better and so on, but again...things normalize over enough time.

But please explain what you mean by that very vague, non-descript sentence.

Yes, the competition is better and so on, but again...things normalize over enough time.

But please explain what you mean by that very vague, non-descript sentence.
    You said i t yourself... competition is better and far more pressure.

How does this pressure affect performance?

I mean ARod looked pretty damn good for alot of his postseason career except for the past couple of years, including his early Yankee series'.

How does this pressure affect performance?

I mean ARod looked pretty damn good for alot of his postseason career except for the past couple of years, including his early Yankee series'.
    Have you ever played baseball?

I agree with all your thoughts Senor. I am actually one of the few Yankee fans that was not in favor of going after Zambrano if he became a FA after the season because of all those walks. I think he has great stuff, but all those walks concern me, especially with the move to the AL.

The DRay that impressed me the most, even before the HR, was Elijah Dukes. If he stays out of trouble, and that's a big if, I think he'll have a better year than Delmon Young.

Which is why Jeter has done such a great job of maintaining his performance in big spots. BUT, he has not gotten better (or clutch) in these spots. Bernie did.