Thread: Iraq and the Media

All Pro

Iraq and the Media

It's hardly controversial to suggest that the mainstream media's performance in the lead-up to the Iraq War was a disaster. In retrospect, many journalists and pundits wish they had been more skeptical of the White House's claims about Iraq, particularly its allegations about weapons of mass destruction. At the same time, though, media apologists suggest that the press could not have done much better, since "everyone" was in agreement on the intelligence regarding Iraq's weapons threat. This was never the case. Critical journalists and analysts raised serious questions at the time about what the White House was saying. Often, however, their warnings were ignored by the bulk of the corporate press.

This timeline is an attempt to recall some of the worst moments in journalism, from the fall of 2002 and into the early weeks of the Iraq War. It is not an exhaustive catalog, but a useful reference point for understanding the media's performance. The timeline also points to missed opportunities, when courageous journalists—working inside the mainstream and the alternative media—uncovered stories that should have made the front pages of daily newspapers, or provided fodder for TV talk shows. By reading mainstream media critically and tuning into the alternative press, citizens can see that the notion that "everyone" was wrong about Iraq was—and is—just another deception.
    http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=3...ter_friendly=1

Another report from FAIR showing that the media is not 'liberal' more so like spineless jelly fish

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

classic, one-way biased report posted by the usual one-way poster....

This timeline is an attempt to recall some of the worst moments in journalism, from the fall of 2002 and into the early weeks of the Iraq War.
    the previous six years when they (the liberal media) were nodding their heads in unison while the rats said hussien had WMD, needed to be replaced, etc, is once again completely dismissed and ignored by a left wing source...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY
    classic, one-way biased report posted by the usual one-way poster....

the previous six years when they (the liberal media) were nodding their heads in unison while the rats said hussien had WMD, needed to be replaced, etc, is once again completely dismissed and ignored by a left wing source...

This once again shows that the media is not 'liberal'. Clearly Dr Helen Caldicott who is not a democrat, but Australian mate made claims about DU that Wolf Blitzer ignored at best.

The media sold the American people a war based on half truths and other mis givings. It drowned out the voices that could have changed the course and let the inspectors do their job.

The 'gutless' media stood by and parrotted the Bush agenda and now has cost BB's of dollars, lives, limbs on both sides of the war. Why was all of this necessary again CBTNY?

November 7, 2002
    -When anti-war activist Dr. Helen Caldicott blamed the dramatic rise in birth defects in southern Iraq on the U.S. use of depleted uranium in anti-tank shells in the Gulf War, CNN's Wolf Blitzer defended the Pentagon. When Caldicott brought up the effect of sanctions on Iraq, Blitzer again offered the official line. He said, "the Iraqi regime itself is to blame for all of these problems."
    Voices globally were ignored by the 'liberal' media

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg
    This once again shows that the media is not 'liberal'. Clearly Dr Helen Caldicott who is not a democrat, but Australian mate made claims about DU that Wolf Blitzer ignored at best.

The media sold the American people a war based on half truths and other mis givings. It drowned out the voices that could have changed the course and let the inspectors do their job.

The 'gutless' media stood by and parrotted the Bush agenda and now has cost BB's of dollars, lives, limbs on both sides of the war. Why was all of this necessary again CBTNY?

Voices globally were ignored by the 'liberal' media

once again in your typical brain dead manner you've not addressed the post...so I'll repeat again, for the last time as you are a waste of bandwidth...

the previous six years they (the liberal media) were nodding their heads in unison while the rats said hussien had WMD, needed to be replaced, etc...this is once again completely dismissed and ignored by your left wing source...

All Pro
    once again in your typical brain dead manner you've not addressed the post...so I'll repeat again, for the last time as you are a waste of bandwidth...

the previous six years they (the liberal media) were nodding their heads in unison while the rats said hussien had WMD, needed to be replaced, etc...this is once again completely dismissed and ignored by your left wing source...
    How could I have missed that. I have stated over and over again that the media is 'LIBERAL'. Here is another case in point proving it.

What you call 'liberal' is just not as extreme as you would like. Last cyscle on this guy. Catch on already.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

How could I have missed that. I have stated over and over again that the media is 'LIBERAL'. Here is another case in point proving it.

What you call 'liberal' is just not as extreme as you would like. Last cyscle on this guy. Catch on already.

as usual you've used one of your many extreme leftist sites to prove nothing....and in your classic idiocy you make yourself believe you are not an extremist by justifying in your simple mind that you are level headed...

All Pro
    as usual you've used one of your many extreme leftist sites to prove nothing....and in your classic idiocy you make yourself believe you are not an extremist by justifying in your simple mind that you are level headed...
    This is a matter of not being brainswashed by the media as you have been, clearly losing site that this is America and Americans have the right to speak freely. I think that it was once a law in this nation.

You want to stifle any voice that does not have your line of thinking. That makes this a dictatorship, monarchy or even communist. Clearly that is not what the founding fathers had in mind when they created this country.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

This is a matter of not being brainswashed by the media as you have been, clearly losing site that this is America and Americans have the right to speak freely. I think that it was once a law in this nation.

You want to stifle any voice that does not have your line of thinking. That makes this a dictatorship, monarchy or even communist. Clearly that is not what the founding fathers had in mind when they created this country.

that's where your wrong, as you usually are...

I'm not trying to stifle anything...I'm just point out, with great success too boot, the stupidity and ignorance of leftists like yourself...

All Pro
    that's where your wrong, as you usually are...

I'm not trying to stifle anything...I'm just point out, with great success too boot, the stupidity and ignorance of leftists like yourself...
    So are you telling me these points that FAIR has presented are inaccurate?

The media is corporate owned and that's why you only get sound bites for the one hour news shows in the evening. What can one learn from that?

Again I get my news from many sources globally. I can then come to a reasonable and intelligent premise to base a decision. The point here is that the media was spineless and sold the American people a war based on what? WMD's? 911? Freedom? Democracy?

Please advise me on what we are fighting about in Iraq. Thanks in advance.