Thread: Peace returning to Baghdad?? Troop surge working???

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Peace returning to Baghdad?? Troop surge working???

I'm sure somehow they'll give credit to pelosi.....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=805_1175727867 (video from ABC News)

Hall Of Fame
    It makes me so happy that you are happy about an MSM news piece. Good for you......

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY
    I'm sure somehow they'll give credit to pelosi.....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=805_1175727867 (video from ABC News)

All League
    I truly hope this is happening. I fear Iraq is a basket case though; I think what will happen in the long run is that the Sunnis, Shia and the Kurds will all have their own enclaves and Iraq as we know it will cease.

I'm all for the troop surge; it's a great shame that Powell wasn't in charge of Defence rather than Rumsfeld during the invasion of Iraq and the subsequent aftermath. 'Overwhelming Force' was what was needed, and Powell was the man who implemented that tactic first. To be honest they sent ~ 20000 troops for this latest go at it when really what was needed was ten times that number. But they should have sent in a massive number of troops first to stabilize the country right after they had defeated Saddam; the fact they didn't has probably trashed Iraq permanently.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death
    I truly hope this is happening. I fear Iraq is a basket case though; I think what will happen in the long run is that the Sunnis, Shia and the Kurds will all have their own enclaves and Iraq as we know it will cease.

I'm all for the troop surge; it's a great shame that Powell wasn't in charge of Defence rather than Rumsfeld during the invasion of Iraq and the subsequent aftermath. 'Overwhelming Force' was what was needed, and Powell was the man who implemented that tactic first. To be honest they sent ~ 20000 troops for this latest go at it when really what was needed was ten times that number. But they should have sent in a massive number of troops first to stabilize the country right after they had defeated Saddam; the fact they didn't has probably trashed Iraq permanently.

You're absolutely right, they should have done the troop surge from the very beginning.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death
    I truly hope this is happening.
    It is as the real news out of Iraq shows. More positive than negative.

I'm all for the troop surge; it's a great shame that Powell wasn't in charge of Defence rather than Rumsfeld during the invasion of Iraq and the subsequent aftermath. 'Overwhelming Force' was what was needed, and Powell was the man who implemented that tactic first.
    Add to this the idiotic idea that we should take the "moral high road" when we wage war as this quote indicates:

A careful analysis was conducted prior to the strike, and every possible precaution to avoid unnecessary collateral damage was taken.
    Absolutely, we shouldn't intentionally inflict "unnecessary collateral damage", but I wonder how often we lost some of our guys b/c we tried to avoid it?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

one can only wonder what the real situation is if the rat wing-liberal media is forced to admit things like this....

Defense Secretary Sees Encouraging Signs in Baghdad

By Josh White
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, April 6, 2007; Page A16

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said yesterday that he believes the military's operation to secure Baghdad is showing "positive" early signs but that he is reluctant to use "happy talk" to describe the situation in Iraq because it remains violent.

Gates told reporters at the Pentagon that it is still too early to tell whether the "surge" into Baghdad is working and said top commanders probably will not know until midsummer whether their efforts at clearing out Iraq's largest city are making significant progress.

Displaying a sense of caution, as he often has in his first months at the Pentagon's helm, Gates said predictions that the U.S. security plan would elicit a rise in large-scale bombings and other attacks to derail the effort have so far come true.

"I think that there is a great reluctance to engage in happy talk about this," Gates said. "It's a tough environment. . . . And I think we'll just have to wait several more months before we're in a position to make any real evaluation."

The defense secretary's comments come on the heels of upbeat messages from senior Republican members of Congress who have sought to show the war as moving in the right direction. Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), ranking minority member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said this week that there is "reason for cautious optimism" after he visited a Baghdad marketplace under heavy security.

McCain, who is campaigning for president and has long advocated sending more troops into Iraq, said that he never before has been able to walk the streets of Baghdad or drive from Baghdad International Airport along the notorious airport road -- a formerly deadly stretch that was made more secure over the past two years, before the troop buildup. Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), who joined McCain on the trip, echoed McCain's "cautious optimism."

Gates said he is unsure how long the troop increase in Baghdad is going to last but said it probably will be months and not years, depending on the situation on the ground and the level of violence. He warned that congressional efforts to set withdrawal deadlines could be disastrous for Iraq.

"I believe that if we were precipitously to withdraw from Baghdad at this point that there would be a dramatic increase in sectarian violence," Gates said, pointing to killings by death squads and targeted efforts to affect the surge.

Gates appeared at the news conference with Marine Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and both said they also are preparing for increased fighting in Afghanistan. Taliban and other enemy forces have traditionally made a push each spring since the beginning of the war in 2002. U.S. commanders are hoping to push back with their own offensive this year.

Pace said the NATO commander in Afghanistan, Army Gen. Dan K. McNeill, has begun his offensive operations: "I do not want to get into the specifics of the operations, but it will unfold very clearly here in the next couple days what he has begun."

Pace also said that the deployments to two wars have put a strain on the armed services and have affected readiness for other potential conflicts, but that the United States has "enormous residual capacity" of more than 2.1 million troops not currently deployed. He said any additional wars would likely involve more "brute force" and could result in more casualties because precision equipment is committed to Iraq and Afghanistan.

"It would take longer then for the reserve forces to be remobilized and to get to the fight, but there is zero doubt about the outcome," Pace said. "It would simply take us longer than we would like, or than it would if we were not doing anything else, to defeat any potential enemy."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

Hall Of Fame
    ...one can only wonder what the real situation is...
    Baghdad, Iraq
    Current Conditions

70 F / 21 C
    Mostly Cloudy
    Humidity: 35%
    Dew Point: 41 F / 5 C
    Wind: 2 mph / 4 km/h / 1.0 m/s from the West
    Pressure: 29.90 in / 1012 hPa
    Visibility: 6.2 miles / 10.0 kilometers
    UV: 0 out of 16
    Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m
    (Above Ground Level)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan
    Baghdad, Iraq
    Current Conditions

70 F / 21 C
    Mostly Cloudy
    Humidity: 35%
    Dew Point: 41 F / 5 C
    Wind: 2 mph / 4 km/h / 1.0 m/s from the West
    Pressure: 29.90 in / 1012 hPa
    Visibility: 6.2 miles / 10.0 kilometers
    UV: 0 out of 16
    Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m
    (Above Ground Level)

thanks Al Roker...all this global warming has made it snow in NY today...

Hall Of Fame
    It is awesome. We have Rush Limbaugh posting here, this is big time. Hey, you got any oxy for me?

thanks Al Roker...all this global warming has made it snow in NY today...

Hall Of Fame
    CBTNY, it must be nice sitting in your EZ chair telling everyone else how the war is going so great. As you and Bush had a nice Easter three day weekend. Isn't war hell?

Obviously Gates should call you before he makes any official comments.

Gates said it would not be known until sometime this summer whether the surge of 21,500 troops into Baghdad ordered by President Bush was working.

"Everybody is being very careful," Gates said. "I think that there is a great reluctance to engage in happy talk about this. It's a tough environment."

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726
    CBTNY, it must be nice sitting in your EZ chair telling everyone else how the war is going so great. As you and Bush had a nice Easter three day weekend. Isn't war hell?

Gates said it would not be known until sometime this summer whether the surge of 21,500 troops into Baghdad ordered by President Bush was working.

"Everybody is being very careful," Gates said. "I think that there is a great reluctance to engage in happy talk about this. It's a tough environment."
    What are yout sitting in?

Hall Of Fame
    Reality.

Quote Originally Posted by PFSIKH
    What are yout sitting in?

All Pro
    Yeah, things are going just peachy in Iraq. Democracy has spread like wildfire and the Iraqis are living in peace and harmony.

Things are going so well that CBNY has decided to take the wife and kids to Baghdad for their summer family vacation.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I know you mind is clouded with your usual ignorant bullsh!t but I'm not telling anyone anything...the liberal media is being forced to admit it as per the links...

Hall Of Fame
    So, I guess I should ignore Gates' quotes then?

I know you mind is clouded with your usual ignorant bullsh!t but I'm not telling anyone anything...the liberal media is being forced to admit it as per the links...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

in your usual stupidity you cherry picked three sentences of dozens from a story...

So, I guess I should ignore Gates' quotes then?

Hall Of Fame
    Do you lie to yourself too? There is absolutely no way to look at Gates' statements. There is nothing gray about them, it is crystal clear, it is too early to say.

Just once admit you are a jerkoff.

in your usual stupidity you cherry picked three sentences of dozens from a story...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

you truly have your head up your ass 24/7.....in your classic lunatic ignorace you take one quote and frame the entire article around it...then believe...you are a sad, sad, pathetic person...

enjoy having the last word on this- I'm sure it will be quite intelligent based on your history of posts both here and on the football forum.....

Do you lie to yourself too? There is absolutely no way to look at Gates' statements. There is nothing gray about them, it is crystal clear, it is too early to say.

Just once admit you are a jerkoff.