Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Abuse Islander Icegirls

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Rangers Abuse Islander Icegirls

Showing their class, the Rangers act like jerks during the Islander game Tuesday night.

HockeyIce Girls: Punish Rangers for slashing, spitting
    They say Lundqvist slashed squeegee with stick, other players spit and cursed at them during game
    BY GREG LOGAN

April 5, 2007

Hostile behavior is expected whenever the Islanders and Rangers clash in one of the NHL's fiercest rivalries, but now the Islanders' Ice Girls are involved.

According to two of the women, the Rangers should be penalized for slashing, spitting and verbal abuse during television timeouts in the first period of Tuesday night's game at Nassau Coliseum, won by the Islanders, 3-2, in a shootout.

During commercial breaks, teams of three Ice Girls clean loose ice known as "snow" in the goal and the blue-painted goaltender's crease in front of the goal line. But Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist declined to move and used his stick to whack the squeegee Kelli Higgins, 23, was using to push the snow into a pile during the first TV timeout, knocking the butt end of the squeegee stick into her stomach.

"I said 'Excuse me' maybe two or three times," Higgins said yesterday. "He didn't move and didn't say anything, so I gave up and went around him.

"The tip of my squeegee kind of hit the tip of his stick. I don't know if he thought I did that on purpose or whatever, but he took a big windup and slashed the squeegee pretty good. It startled me a little bit. It didn't feel great, but I wouldn't say I was injured or in a ton of pain. I was shocked. "

The Ice Girls alternate jobs, and Chanel Benson, 19, had the squeegee during the second TV timeout. This time, a linesman told her to clean around Lundqvist, 24, but not in the crease or the net. As she was leaving the ice, Benson skated near the boards in front of both benches, which are separated only by a panel of glass located at the center red line.

"All of a sudden, my back got wet," said Benson, who was wearing a standard outfit of pants and top that leaves the midriff area exposed. "I believe one of the Rangers players who was sitting along the wall spit on my back. It had to be on purpose because I wasn't directly in front of anyone to spit and not realize I was there. "

Two Ice Girls then notified Tim Beach, Islanders' vice president of game operations, that Benson was crying. Beach said he saw two or three small wet spots on the back of her pants. Benson already had wiped off her exposed back.

"I was disgusted and upset," Benson said. "That's why I started crying. All of a sudden, these grown men are hitting Kelli and spitting on me? It was unprofessional, and they shouldn't have done it. We're just there to do our job. "

During the third TV timeout, both referees and one linesman made Lundqvist move to allow Higgins to shovel the snow out. Higgins said both Lundqvist and Rangers forward Sean Avery were using curse words "that had to do with us going around with the squeegee" in a heated exchange with the officials.

During the last two periods and the overtime, Lundqvist moved from his crease during stoppages, and there were no further incidents. The Rangers' goaltender told reporters yesterday before learning of the girls' allegations that he prefers to remain in the crease to maintain concentration during breaks. He also said that never, in three previous games at the Coliseum or at any other arena, had he been asked to leave the crease during a stop in play.

Told later yesterday of the Ice Girls' allegations, a Rangers spokesman said Lundqvist was not available. NHL spokesman Frank Brown declined to discuss the account provided by officials to the league. Told of the Ice Girls' allegations, Brown said: "The National Hockey League expects responsible, professional conduct at all times from on-ice personnel. "

THEIR ICY RECEPTION AT COLISEUM

How the events unfolded, according to Ice Girls Kelli Higgins and Chanel Benson.

FIRST TV TIMEOUT

Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist swings his stick and hits Ice Girl Kelli Higgins' squeegee. As a result, the squeegee jabs Higgins in the stomach.

SECOND TV TIMEOUT

Ice Girl Chanel Benson is given squeegee duty and as she skates past the Rangers bench, she feels moisture hit her in the back and immediately concludes a member of the Rangers spit on her. Benson leaves the ice crying and needs to be consoled by Islanders vice president of game operations Tim Beach.

THIRD TV TIMEOUT

Higgins heads back onto the ice and is verbally abused by Lundqvist and Sean Avery.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

He should have been tossed!!

What do those girls get, $50.00 a game?

The ref's in hockey remind me of wwf types sometimes...they should really have been alot firmer about this the first time...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like the classy Sean Avery is having a positive influence on Lunquist.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    She only got hit with the spit, because in trying to avoid getting spit on, she inadvertantly moved into the spit. And the squeegee girl moved her squeegie into Lundys stick causing her to get poked. Clearly a non-incident here. Im sure several Islander fans concur.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to abuse an ice girl.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about the spitting but from what I read Lundqvist didn't want to move when the girls came over to squeegee the ice around the net. Like other goalies he never likes to move out of the net during timeouts. This particular night the officials forced him to move out of the net.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could this thread be moved back to the main board? It is not really about hockey but rather about athletes showing a lack of respect to arena staff. We are not exactly breaking down NHL playoff scenarios in this thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    spitting on the ice girls - makes the Rangers look like a bunch of animals

and I'm a Ranger fan

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    More islander propaganda.
    Maybe she could have taken a stick and swung it at someones throat.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever
    spitting on the ice girls - makes the Rangers look like a bunch of animals

and I'm a Ranger fan
    Could it be maybe one of the players squirted her with some water from a bottle??? Not that that's cool but maybe done in fun. After all, hockey has never been about scantilly clad women skating around during a game. Did she actually see or hear them spit on her??? Yes I'm a Ranger fan but I can't imagine Rangers players spitting on someone under those circumstances. Sounds like someone trying to stir the pot.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HDCentStOhio
    Could this thread be moved back to the main board? It is not really about hockey but rather about athletes showing a lack of respect to arena staff. We are not exactly breaking down NHL playoff scenarios in this thread.
    Speaking of someone trying to stir the pot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    Could it be maybe one of the players squirted her with some water from a bottle??? Not that that's cool but maybe done in fun. After all, hockey has never been about scantilly clad women skating around during a game. Did she actually see or hear them spit on her??? Yes I'm a Ranger fan but I can't imagine Rangers players spitting on someone under those circumstances. Sounds like someone trying to stir the pot.

I'd have to agree. I don't see how any guy would think it's appropriate to spit on the ice girls. It must have been something else.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    .... how can a grown man allow himself to spit on 19 year old girl for no reason, and another player on the same team to slap a squeegee away from a different girl, with his stick while she was doing her job, like a freaking neandrathal.... what a bunch of low class animals. Glad to see their all following Avery's lead on how to be upstandin citizens, I'm surprised Lundqvist didn't cry to the refs afterwards trying to draw a foul.
    Last edited by Starkweather; 04-05-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    yeah your right.... that fact alone gives an athlete the right to either spit or squirt water on a 19 year old girl whos just doing her job.... causing her to get upset and cry about it.... I guess it also justifies cursing at them and getting physical with another one by slapping arm hand away with his hockey stick....

PS... Maybe if they put the energy of their anger towards the Islanders instead of the girls.... they could have won????
    Last edited by Starkweather; 04-05-2007 at 11:26 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yet more hate is created by stupid acts...

Who knows if she was directed to make Lundquist move to upset him.....

Anyhow, who cares as we should have paid more attention to the Islanders than ice girls....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    I don't believe it.
    I went to the game in Long Island a few weeks ago. When they were on the ice Henrik didnt even notice they were there. He looked down and skated around the crease like usual. Rosival kinda gravitated towards them but hes useless anyway. I guess some of this could have substance but its probably exaggerated.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

Its all about

Common decency. Spit or water bottle. Common decency.

I think its akin to smackin the kid of an oppossing player during a heated softball game as you run down the first base line because your not man enough to swing on dad....

Is this thread going to get moved to the MBL section now?

I see that this sportsmanship thread getz moved out of the way to make room for more HAPPY BIRTHDAY threads on the strip...niiiiice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ABUSE????????????????????

Let's call the DA!

I guess when there is going to be no playoffs, they need something to write about.

What an non-story.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    I don't believe it.
    Thank you for your astute analysis.
    Last edited by HDCentStOhio; 04-05-2007 at 07:12 PM.