Thread: GOPís Hagel calls Bush impeachment an option

All Pro

GOPís Hagel calls Bush impeachment an option

Republican senator blasts president?s go-it-alone stance on Iraq policy

WASHINGTON - With his go-it-alone approach on Iraq, President Bush is flouting Congress and the public, so angering lawmakers that some consider impeachment an option over his war policy, a senator from Bush?s own party said Sunday.

Meanwhile, the Senate?s No. 2 Republican leader harshly criticized House Democrats for setting an ?artificial date? for withdrawing troops from Iraq and said he believes Republicans have enough votes to prevent passage of a similar bill in the Senate.

?We need to put that kind of decision in the hands of our commanders who are there on the ground with the men and women,? said Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss. ?For Congress to impose an artificial date of any kind is totally irresponsible.?

GOP Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a frequent critic of the war, stopped short of calling for Bush?s impeachment. But he made clear that some lawmakers viewed that as an option should Bush choose to push ahead despite public sentiment against the war.

?Any president who says, I don?t care, or I will not respond to what the people of this country are saying about Iraq or anything else, or I don?t care what the Congress does, I am going to proceed ? if a president really believes that, then there are ? what I was pointing out, there are ways to deal with that,? said Hagel, who is considering a 2008 presidential run.

The White House had no immediate reaction Sunday to Hagel?s comments.

The Senate planned to begin debate Monday on a war spending bill that would set a nonbinding goal of March 31, 2008, for the removal of combat troops.

That comes after the House narrowly passed a bill Friday that would pay for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan this year but would require that combat troops come home from Iraq before September 2008 ? or earlier if the Iraqi government did not meet certain requirements.

On Sunday, Hagel said he was bothered by Bush?s apparent disregard of congressional sentiment on Iraq, such as his decision to send additional troops. He said lawmakers now stood ready to stand up to the president when necessary.

In the April edition of Esquire magazine, Hagel described Bush as someone who doesn?t believe he?s accountable to anyone. ?He?s not accountable anymore, which isn?t totally true. You can impeach him, and before this is over, you might see calls for his impeachment. I don?t know. It depends on how this goes,? Hagel told the magazine.

?Artificial timetables ... are a problem?
    In his weekly address Saturday, Bush accused Democrats of partisanship in the House vote and said it would cut the number of troops below a level that U.S. military commanders say they need. Vice President Dick Cheney also accused Democrats of undermining U.S. troops in Iraq and of sending a message to terrorists that America will retreat in the face danger.

?We have clearly a situation where the president has lost the confidence of the American people in his war effort,? Hagel said. ?It is now time, going into the fifth year of that effort, for the Congress to step forward and be part of setting some boundaries and some conditions as to our involvement.?

?This is not a monarchy,? he added, referring to the possibility that some lawmakers may seek impeachment. ?There are ways to deal with it. And I would hope the president understands that.?

Lott said setting withdrawal dates is a futile and potentially dangerous exercise because Bush has made clear he will veto any such legislation.

?There are members in the Senate in both parties that are not comfortable with how things have gone in Iraq,? Lott said. ?But they understand that artificial timetables, even as goals, are a problem. ...We will try to take out the arbitrary dates.?
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17786158/

JetsInsider.com Legend
    if Bush gets impeached, the terrorists win!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    if Bush gets impeached, the terrorists win!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Babe
    why should bush be impeached??
    Bush authorized the use of warrantless wiretapping, and has personally admitted to doing so. This is a clear violation of the 4th amendment of the Constitution.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Babe
    why should bush be impeached??

i might not post so much in the politics forum, but i lurk...and some of the stuff you post, jetdawg, is ridiculous.
    The post is not about me. I don't think that he should be impeached. I think that at this point it is a waste of time.

The issue here is that Hagel is a republican and making this claim. Usually this claim is made by people on the 'left'

All League
    Bush should be impeached because:

1. Osama Bin Laden and his Al Queada lieutenants still breathe the same air that we do. Over five years after 9/11 and W still hasn't had these Islamic murderers wacked. That's simply pathetic!

2. Attention-deficit-disorder W started a 1/2 azz war in Iraq with no real desire to win! Instead of brutally destroying our enemies and leaving them for maggots, Commander-In-Chief Bush let Iraq spin out of control of the US military and into control of the Muslim insurgent butchers. Most US military casualties in Iraq are soldiers in HumVees patrolling designated areas. The US military in Iraq is deployed in a defense only position. President George 'What Would Jesus Do' Bush doesn't have the nerve to win the war he started by ruthlessly destroying the Islamic enemy.

Well, that's the Top Two reasons.

flushingjet
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet
    Bush should be impeached because:

1. Osama Bin Laden and his Al Queada lieutenants still breathe the same air that we do. Over five years after 9/11 and W still hasn't had these Islamic murderers wacked. That's simply pathetic!

2. Attention-deficit-disorder W started a 1/2 azz war in Iraq with no real desire to win! Instead of brutally destroying our enemies and leaving them for maggots, Commander-In-Chief Bush let Iraq spin out of control of the US military and into control of the Muslim insurgent butchers. Most US military casualties in Iraq are soldiers in HumVees patrolling designated areas. The US military in Iraq is deployed in a defense only position. President George 'What Would Jesus Do' Bush doesn't have the nerve to win the war he started by ruthlessly destroying the Islamic enemy.

Well, that's the Top Two reasons.
    i never post while intoxicated.
    is this what it reads like?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by flushingjet
    i never post while intoxicated.
    is this what it reads like?

No...this is what it looks like when you are still mad at the terrorists for 9/11 and aren't totally brainwashed by the right or the left.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg
    The post is not about me. I don't think that he should be impeached. I think that at this point it is a waste of time.

The issue here is that Hagel is a republican and making this claim. Usually this claim is made by people on the 'left'
    Hagel is a RINO.

I'm glad I don't pay for the band width so you can post the crap you do.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    Hagel is a RINO.

I'm glad I don't pay for the band width so you can post the crap you do.
    Feeling's mutual

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly
    Bush authorized the use of warrantless wiretapping, and has personally admitted to doing so. This is a clear violation of the 4th amendment of the Constitution.
    Hilarious, this.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    "GOP Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a frequent critic of the war, stopped short of calling for Bush's impeachment."

+++++++++++
    Hagel did not call for impeachment.

I believe it is the house that brings articles of impeachment not the Senate.

There would need to be proof that Bush did something illegal. Right now I know of nothing illegal. If only he could be impeached for incompetence.