Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A-Rod performance discussion thread

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A-Rod performance discussion thread

Alex pulled through today when it really mattered. Good for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see as well. Maybe he finally lets himself relax and let the natural talent take over.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    But on another note, the Yankees are in some trouble. The bullpen has been outstanding for us, but the starting pitching has been dreadful so far. Obviously, it's early but we are going to miss Wang pretty badly.

Bottom line, no one has good control yet. Mussina was not sharp all spring and had great control problems to begin the season. (remember, Mussina was VERY sharp in spring last season) He'll get into his rhythm, but I wonder how long it will take. Pettitte still had good stuff and once he gets a little more work he should regain his control. Igawa was only able to locate his fastball, which is average at best. Not locating his slider really kills him.

The defense has not looked sharp all season. Also, Matsui went down today probably for a few weeks. I held my breath when Abreu got drilled in the foot, hope it isn't too bad. We are dealing with injuries again...great...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason
    But on another note, the Yankees are in some trouble. The bullpen has been outstanding for us, but the starting pitching has been dreadful so far. Obviously, it's early but we are going to miss Wang pretty badly.

Bottom line, no one has good control yet. Mussina was not sharp all spring and had great control problems to begin the season. (remember, Mussina was VERY sharp in spring last season) He'll get into his rhythm, but I wonder how long it will take. Pettitte still had good stuff and once he gets a little more work he should regain his control. Igawa was only able to locate his fastball, which is average at best. Not locating his slider really kills him.

The defense has not looked sharp all season. Also, Matsui went down today probably for a few weeks. I held my breath when Abreu got drilled in the foot, hope it isn't too bad. We are dealing with injuries again...great...

The cold weather is hurting pitching all over the league. Notice that the most successful ones are the junk ballers in this cold. That's because they don't need to have as tight a grip or feel to have their best stuff. They don't throw hard to begin with, and the bat stings when you don't square it up on a cold day and hitters don't want to take their time either.

Wait till June to worry if the Yanks are 10 out on May 31, then you start to have concern. But I would point out that the Red Sox and Blue Jays aren't exactly ripping it up either right now.

TMahoney
    I'm a Mets fan and I hate the Yankees but hell even I'm happy for A-Rod.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I can"t wait untill Wang and Karstens are healthy again. Hopefully then the piching will get better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    The cold weather is hurting pitching all over the league. Notice that the most successful ones are the junk ballers in this cold. That's because they don't need to have as tight a grip or feel to have their best stuff. They don't throw hard to begin with, and the bat stings when you don't square it up on a cold day and hitters don't want to take their time either.

Wait till June to worry if the Yanks are 10 out on May 31, then you start to have concern. But I would point out that the Red Sox and Blue Jays aren't exactly ripping it up either right now.
    I'm not saying that they can't pull it together. It's very early, but you have to admit having four starters not make it past the 4th inning is never a good thing. I agree that the cold weather has a lot to do with it, especially when Pettitte and Mussina are control pitchers, but my point about Mussina stands. He was having a poor spring even before the cold weather.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not saying that they can't pull it together. It's very early, but you have to admit having four starters not make it past the 4th inning is never a good thing. I agree that the cold weather has a lot to do with it, especially when Pettitte and Mussina are control pitchers, but my point about Mussina stands. He was having a poor spring even before the cold weather.
    Kei pitched 5 innings today but he was just terrible.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige
    Kei pitched 5 innings today but he was just terrible.
    I didn't leave with the impression that he couldn't pitch in MLB. Did you? Despite his struggles with the strike zone, he was one bloop hit away from a quality start (or close to it). Obviously this is one game and it is impossible to take too much away from it one way or another. I will say one thing if he continues to be high in the zone he won't last too long in this league. Major League hitters eat pitches like that for breakfast. AROD gave Chris Ray a lesson in that today.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-07-2007 at 06:24 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the sad truth is the guy can hit 50 HRs, win MVP, and then get boo'ed like the biggest choke artist after he strikes out in his first postseason at-bat....but its nice of him to get off to a good start.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't leave with the impression that he couldn't pitch in MLB. Did you? Despite his struggles with the strike zone, he was one bloop hit away from a quality start (or close to it). Obviously this is one game and it is impossible to take too much away from it one way or another. I will say one thing if he continues to be high in the zone he won't last too long in this league. Major League hitters eat pitches like that for breakfast. AROD gave Chris Ray a lesson in that today.
    he was terrible......many guys who "can pitch in MLB" are in the minors.....but hey the guy had a good spring so time will tell......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ARod didn't improve his situation, he just put himself up really high so the next time he fails they knock him down further. He'll never be clutch/Queen of the City.

Just kidding. I actually smiled after he hit that.

Igawa on the other hand looks like garbage. Everything he throws is flat. He hangs curveballs like they pay him to do it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Compleatly agree. It was one start and things can get better.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best part was Jeter's interaction with AROD after the homerun, espcially shoving him out for a curtain call.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best part was Jeter's interaction with AROD after the homerun, espcially shoving him out for a curtain call.
    Yea, thank goodness he was at his side then...right when he needed it...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im happy for him as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    Im happy for him as well.
    Everyone should be.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [john sterling]Another A Bomb from A-Rod![/john sterling]

Veteran