Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alright Mets Fans, you need to help me out with something here...

Alright Mets Fans, you need to help me out with something here...

I thought I would pose an innocent question to our Mets faithful here on JI. This is an innocent question, and take as much time as you need to answer it. I'm looking for cogent, concise, well-thought out answers. Ready? Here we go.

Why are many Met fans (not all, but many) so concerned with the state of the Yankees, in that they constantly wish losses and discontent on the Bronx bombers? Where is there so much hatred towards the Yankees, to the point where a Yankees loss is cause for celebration? How is it possible to hate great players like Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, and Robinson Cano simply because they are Yankees?

Here's why I don't understand this mindset: I'm a Yankees fan, and, as a result, i care about what goes on in the American League (specifially the AL East). I watch wins and losses in the AL because that directly effects the Yankees. I never really pay attention to the NL, and even during interleague play I see that as sort of a few exhibition games. If the Mets get hot and go on a winning streak (like right now), I think to myself, "Hey, that's great for the fans and the city of NY." Then I go back to watching the Yankees.

I can acknowledge that the Mets have great players. Is there anyone more exciting to watch than Jose Reyes? This guy is pure electricity. So far in this young season, the Metropolitans look great. Fantastic. Good for Mets fans. Of course, my tone will change if and when the next Subway World Series occurs, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

So, what's the deal here? Why would a true baseball fan divest so much time and effort into hating a team that doesn't even play in the same division, let alone league? Massive payroll is a B.S. excuse -- the Red Sox and Mets (cough, cough) are guilty of the same sin. Until MLB puts a salary cap in place, Steinbrenner just plays the game.

Arrogant Yankees fans? I'm not so sure how you classify arrogant.

What's the real reason behind the hatred?

I guess good old natured ribbing is cool, but I don't get the severe hatred.

Old school hatred is a great explanation, if your grandfather was a Giants or Dodgers fan.

One more thing -- a simple request: no name calling, no berating, no infantile badgering, please. This is an honest question, and I will eagerly read any honest answers.

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    I thought I would pose an innocent question to our Mets faithful here on JI. This is an innocent question, and take as much time as you need to answer it. I'm looking for cogent, concise, well-thought out answers. Ready? Here we go.

Why are many Met fans (not all, but many) so concerned with the state of the Yankees, in that they constantly wish losses and discontent on the Bronx bombers? Where is there so much hatred towards the Yankees, to the point where a Yankees loss is cause for celebration? How is it possible to hate great players like Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, and Robinson Cano simply because they are Yankees?

Here's why I don't understand this mindset: I'm a Yankees fan, and, as a result, i care about what goes on in the American League (specifially the AL East). I watch wins and losses in the AL because that directly effects the Yankees. I never really pay attention to the NL, and even during interleague play I see that as sort of a few exhibition games. If the Mets get hot and go on a winning streak (like right now), I think to myself, "Hey, that's great for the fans and the city of NY." Then I go back to watching the Yankees.

I can acknowledge that the Mets have great players. Is there anyone more exciting to watch than Jose Reyes? This guy is pure electricity. So far in this young season, the Metropolitans look great. Fantastic. Good for Mets fans. Of course, my tone will change if and when the next Subway World Series occurs, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

So, what's the deal here? Why would a true baseball fan divest so much time and effort into hating a team that doesn't even play in the same division, let alone league? Massive payroll is a B.S. excuse -- the Red Sox and Mets (cough, cough) are guilty of the same sin. Until MLB puts a salary cap in place, Steinbrenner just plays the game.

Arrogant Yankees fans? I'm not so sure how you classify arrogant.

What's the real reason behind the hatred?

I guess good old natured ribbing is cool, but I don't get the severe hatred.

Old school hatred is a great explanation, if your grandfather was a Giants or Dodgers fan.

One more thing -- a simple request: no name calling, no berating, no infantile badgering, please. This is an honest question, and I will eagerly read any honest answers.

TIA.
    I am as big of a Met fan as there is, and paulie i agree with you, i actually am almost indifferent on what the yankees do ( rather see them win but doesnt bother me either way) the yankees are not a rival in my eyes. The braves, the cardinals, phillies teams like that i worry about, i respect the yankees legacy, think Derek jeter talent wise is no where near the top of the league but in his prime there arent many other guys id rather lead my team............but to have a baseball discussion with MOST, not all yankee fans (especially the casual) is the hardest thing to do. They are never indifferent, and everything the yankees do or player they sign is the greatest. Then the Mets come up and everything they do is less important, last year for instance, the Mets are only good because their division is weak (which was kinda true) but on the other hand so was the yankees so whats the point.

I like alot of things the Yanks do, i think its a shame they are getting a new stadium, way to much history at the stadium now for games not to be played their(3 stadiums that should never be chaged Yankee fenway wrigley) i do believe they are the best sports franchise in sports, but they are totally different than the mets, and i wouldnt jump ship for a million bucks

BUT TO HAVE A NORMAL BASEBALL CONVERSATION WITH MOST YANKEE FANS IS DAM NEAR IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT IT TURNING INTO AN ARGUMENT

fair enough....

i hate the yankees because of their fans....i hate to generalize but on most part yankee fans act like the mets are second bananas and like the yankees are the class of the major leagues which no longer holds true.....

also i dont know if you will agree but yankees draw a large amount of "fake" fans so more then once per week i have to listen about the greatness of the yankees from a guy or gal who have no clue who Mikey Mantle or Whitey Ford are

there is a part of me that feels bad for yankee fans when they loose, only because i know the feeling as a fan....but then they start talking about their 26 world championships and how its only a matter of time (SAR).....and it all goes away

its late at night, and i am rambling.....but hope that kind of clears it up from my perspective.

there should be a rule that says all yankee fans are only allowed to bring up world series titles they were alive for!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Man-O-Gold
    fair enough....

i hate the yankees because of their fans....i hate to generalize but on most part yankee fans act like the mets are second bananas and like the yankees are the class of the major leagues which no longer holds true.....

also i dont know if you will agree but yankees draw a large amount of "fake" fans so more then once per week i have to listen about the greatness of the yankees from a guy or gal who have no clue who Mikey Mantle or Whitey Ford are

there is a part of me that feels bad for yankee fans when they loose, only because i know the feeling as a fan....but then they start talking about their 26 world championships and how its only a matter of time (SAR).....and it all goes away

its late at night, and i am rambling.....but hope that kind of clears it up from my perspective.

Paulie, I pretty much agree with Man o gold here...........I have soooooooo many arrogant yankee fan friends it's sickening................as a matter of fact, one of them actually wore a Cardinals hat and shirt last year to a Jet game to piss off Met fans.......if that isn't being a 2 year old I don't know what is.............

But he's a friend a good friend and he only pisses me off during baseball season and it's not worth getting into a pissing match with him.........he brings the food and the grill and the booze to our tailgate......

I love Jeter and AROD............but I can't stand some of the Yankee fans that have to rub it in Mets fans faces that they are the dominant team in NY.......

I also think it's like the Jets/Giants..............we both do not like each other........

I actually like the Yanks. In baseball they are by far the winnest (spelling?)organization. But a few of their fans lack the class that belongs with the organization. I don't see them as an arch rival and will only root against them when they play us (Mets). Being from the Bronx most of my relatives are die hard Yankee fans and I feel their pain when the Yankees "bomb out" . There are many classy Yankee fans on this board and a few dumb azz ones but I'm sure they feel that way about us Met fans as well.

When you live away from the Metro area and you see how SO many people hate EVERYTHING about NY you can't help but root for the home team especially when they play any team in the state you reside in.

My one pet peeve is New Yorkers who move and change allegiance. In the Yankee opening game they were interviewing fans coming into the stadium and I saw an old timer who claimed he was a life long Yankee fan but was now rooting for Tampa because he moved there. That is BS..

imagine.......you're 8 years old growing up in brooklyn. you're in the schoolyard at lunch time and a number of the kids decide to get a dodgeball game going. somehow it turns into something nasty. all the yankee fan kids, ingrained with arrogance already (likely taught to them by their arrogant yankee fan fathers) decide that it shoudl be yankee fans vs. mets fans.....because of course there are a few more yankee fans than mets fans (although this is brooklyn, so the number is a bit more even). ther game get ugly very quickly, yankee fans kids start whining that the mets fans kids are cheating because one of the bigger kids just blasted their best player in the nose with a soccerball. they want him disqualified from the game. od course the mets fans kids are like f*ck you, you whining little faggots, play the game. the yankees fans kids are adamant that they will not continue and that they win the game because us mets fans kids cheated. a couple of small fights break out......the bell rings it's time to go back to class. now the mets fans and yankees fans kids are all in a huge rivalry, they HATE eachother already, and they're only 8 years old. yankees fans kids start chirping about all their world series wins, meanwhile it's 1982 and the yankees haven't been so good the past couple of years so the mets fans have some ammunition in their belt. anyway. this is a true story, at such a young age mets fans have already witnessed the whining, cry-baby yankee fans in full bloom. we were disgusted, our parents/grandparents tell us that this is the MO of most yankee fans, a bunch of whining prima donnas who believe it's their right to always win, and that everyone else is inferior. then as we grow up we witness it all happen, over and over and over and over and over again.

then you come to the present yankees. spending 200+ million dollars on their team, twice that of any other team in the majors. and when they still can't win, their fans start whining and complaining that, despite their huge payroll and plethora of all-star players, they need even more all-star players to win it all, guys like randy johnson. they are just SO EASY to hate. and it's not just a mets fan phenomenon, most baseball fans who aren't yankee fans hate the yankees. i tjust so happens that mets and red sox fans hate them the most. red sox fans for more obvious reasons, and mets fans because we've had to be subjected to this group of whining cry-baby prima donna faggots for our entire lives.

although red sox fans probably hate you more. i mean i have red sox fans friends, and even though billy buckner still leaves a sour taste in their mouths, they don't have near as much animosity towards the mets as they do towards the hated evil empire.

btw, i don't hate any yankee fans here, athough you guys do have your obnoxious moments, you are all jets fans, so i will give you a mulligan.....
    Last edited by neckdemon; 04-08-2007 at 08:30 AM.

I root for the Yankees to win and not for any team to lose. I derive pleasure from watching my team do well, unlike Red Sox fans who thrive on Yankees loses. I have a few Mets fans who act like that and I just remind them their team is good too.

I could care less about the Yankees. That's why I'm a Mets fan. I started watching sports in the early 90's and picked the underdog of the major sports (Mets, Jets, Nets). I want to be better than them but I'm not a hater by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    When you live away from the Metro area and you see how SO many people hate EVERYTHING about NY you can't help but root for the home team especially when they play any team in the state you reside in.
    This is so true..........I wear NY City as a badge of honor and throw my middle finger at the middle of the country. Every vacation or road trip i go on . I make sure i have my Ny t shirts ( i Love NY, you aint from brooklyn,etc...)

even though it is prob too old to hold true now, i dont understand how Brooklynites could be yankee fans, most people from BKLYN were dodger fans...hated rivals of the NY yankees/ when the dodgers moved, they became Met fans, no old timer from BKLYN would ever root for the yanks

Interesting replies. One thing that always bothered me was that in the early '00's, being a Yankees fan kind of became a trendy thing to do, and all of a sudden even the interlocking Bronx NY was something jerkbag celebrities were sporting. It was extremely annoying.

I agree, Yankees fans can be real *******s, but then again, so can Mets fans. Every team has a percentage of a fan base where they just won't shut the **** up.

But if you are a real baseball fan, I don't understand why you can't put that aside regarding a team in a completely different league and division. I've gotten into some major arguments with Red Sox fans for good reason. But Mets fans, I never really bothered to have that kind of argument with. I even had a moron friend who was a hardcore Mets fan, and went out and bought a Trot Nixon t-shirt and a "Yankees Suck" t-shirt. What is he, a Boston fan all of a sudden? No, he's just consumed with an illogical hatred towards the Yanks and thus decided to root for the BoSox. Luckily, he's a fat bastard, so I just told him his XXL t-shirts were too small and he quickly shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    imagine.......you're 8 years old growing up in brooklyn. you're in the schoolyard at lunch time and a number of the kids decide to get a dodgeball game going. somehow it turns into something nasty. all the yankee fan kids, ingrained with arrogance already (likely taught to them by their arrogant yankee fan fathers) decide that it shoudl be yankee fans vs. mets fans.....because of course there are a few more yankee fans than mets fans (although this is brooklyn, so the number is a bit more even). ther game get ugly very quickly, yankee fans kids start whining that the mets fans kids are cheating because one of the bigger kids just blasted their best player in the nose with a soccerball. they want him disqualified from the game. od course the mets fans kids are like f*ck you, you whining little faggots, play the game. the yankees fans kids are adamant that they will not continue and that they win the game because us mets fans kids cheated. a couple of small fights break out......the bell rings it's time to go back to class. now the mets fans and yankees fans kids are all in a huge rivalry, they HATE eachother already, and they're only 8 years old. yankees fans kids start chirping about all their world series wins, meanwhile it's 1982 and the yankees haven't been so good the past couple of years so the mets fans have some ammunition in their belt. anyway. this is a true story, at such a young age mets fans have already witnessed the whining, cry-baby yankee fans in full bloom. we were disgusted, our parents/grandparents tell us that this is the MO of most yankee fans, a bunch of whining prima donnas who believe it's their right to always win, and that everyone else is inferior. then as we grow up we witness it all happen, over and over and over and over and over again.

then you come to the present yankees. spending 200+ million dollars on their team, twice that of any other team in the majors. and when they still can't win, their fans start whining and complaining that, despite their huge payroll and plethora of all-star players, they need even more all-star players to win it all, guys like randy johnson. they are just SO EASY to hate. and it's not just a mets fan phenomenon, most baseball fans who aren't yankee fans hate the yankees. i tjust so happens that mets and red sox fans hate them the most. red sox fans for more obvious reasons, and mets fans because we've had to be subjected to this group of whining cry-baby prima donna faggots for our entire lives.

So you think Yankees fans are "prima donna faggots" because of a dodgeball game when you were 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Man-O-Gold
    there should be a rule that says all yankee fans are only allowed to bring up world series titles they were alive for!
    Sounds good to me.

Yankees 6
    Red Sox 1
    Mets 1

Quote Originally Posted by AJGunns
    Sounds good to me.

Yankees 6
    Red Sox 1
    Mets 1
    Nice....

So you think Yankees fans are "prima donna faggots" because of a dodgeball game when you were 8?

lol......no i was just giving you that story to show how even back when we were young kids yankees fans thought they were better than everyone else. funny thing is that for the most part, most yankees fans i've seen have been acting like that ever since. most of the guys here aren't like that though...although there are one or two.......

lol......no i was just giving you that story to show how even back when we were young kids yankees fans thought they were better than everyone else. funny thing is that for the most part, most yankees fans i've seen have been acting like that ever since. most of the guys here aren't like that though...although there are one or two.......

In my experience, though, there are a lot of Mets fans noawadays that I come across who just have an annoying chip on their shoulder for no good reason. Like my Mets fan friend with the Trot Nixon t-shrt, I don't understand the wasste of energy over hating the Yankees. I don't own any Chipper Jones t-shirts, that's for sure.

Another example of this happened when I went to a bar in Manhattan during the 2006 NLCS. Like everyone there, I was rooting for the Mets to win and it was a fun atmosphere. I happened to mention to some girl next to me that I was a Yankees fan first and foremost, but I'm rooting on the Mets to win. All of a sudden her attitude changed and she got this possessed look in her eyes, telling me how much the Yankees suck and she hates them. I said, "Who give a ****! The Mets are in the NLCS and I want them to win!"

Another example of this happened when I went to a bar in Manhattan during the 2006 NLCS. Like everyone there, I was rooting for the Mets to win and it was a fun atmosphere. I happened to mention to some girl next to me that I was a Yankees fan first and foremost, but I'm rooting on the Mets to win. All of a sudden her attitude changed and she got this possessed look in her eyes, telling me how much the Yankees suck and she hates them. I said, "Who give a ****! The Mets are in the NLCS and I want them to win!"

LMAO!!!! that's a funny story... was she hot? what would have sucked alot worse than that would have been if you were mackin' it to her and she was almost ready to give you some butt and then you f*cked up and mentioned you are a yanks fan.

LMAO!!!! that's a funny story... was she hot? what would have sucked alot worse than that would have been if you were mackin' it to her and she was almost ready to give you some butt and then you f*cked up and mentioned you are a yanks fan.

Yeah, she ws hot, and that actually occured to me, lol.

Wasn't as bad as when I got into a huge fight with a hot Bears fan at the Bears-Jets game last season. After Chad threw that pick to Urlacher, I've never been berated by a girl like that before.

Its the same Mets fans that say "F the Yankees" that are the same Jets fans running around saying "F the Giants!!!"

Who gives a eff about the Giants really? Complex problem anyone?