Thread: Everyone Hates Sean Avery

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone Hates Sean Avery

EVERYONE HATES SEAN!!!! to anyone who doesnt get newsday pick it up and turn to the inside sports edition and read about how sean avery is 1. the most overated player in the nhl 2. the dirtiest player in hockey he got a full 2 page article on how much sean avery is hated (before im flamed it also pays homage to how much he has helped the rangers) but more importantly he was 66% of the overated vote and #1 dirtiest

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I never paid much attention to him before he was on the Rangers....

As an Islander fan, I intensly dislike the guy now.

Having said that, I would certainly like the guy on my team. Kinda like a Steve Webb with some hockey skills

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan66
    EVERYONE HATES SEAN!!!! to anyone who doesnt get newsday pick it up and turn to the inside sports edition and read about how sean avery is 1. the most overated player in the nhl 2. the dirtiest player in hockey he got a full 2 page article on how much sean avery is hated (before im flamed it also pays homage to how much he has helped the rangers) but more importantly he was 66% of the overated vote and #1 dirtiest
    I think you secretly want to date Avery.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan66
    So was ulf Samuelsson, and I miss the Hell out of him.
    Besides, I've been watching him and he doesn't seem that dirty to me.
    Scrappy, YES. Dirty? No

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    I think you secretly want to date Avery.
    Speaking for yourself?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagoots
    So was ulf Samuelsson, and I miss the Hell out of him.
    Besides, I've been watching him and he doesn't seem that dirty to me.
    Scrappy, YES. Dirty? No

I loved Ulf as well.

I don't think Avery is dirty, he just has "Napoleon complex"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HDCentStOhio
    Speaking for yourself?
    I believe it's you who would like to date me. You've been following me all over the hockey boards and obsessing over me. And since you obviously have little to no hockey knowledge, that's the only conclusion I can draw. I hate to disappoint you, but I'm happily married to a wonderful woman. But thanks for the flattery.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Rangers season turned around when Avery flew into New York. I love him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    The Rangers season turned around when Avery flew into New York. I love him.

Exactly, it sure is nice to have the most "overated" player in hockey on the Rangers.......Without Avery we would not be in the playoffs and he just might have been the best player on the ice today...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers
    Exactly, it sure is nice to have the most "overated" player in hockey on the Rangers.......Without Avery we would not be in the playoffs and he just might have been the best player on the ice today...
    It sure is. And here's what I don't get. I can understand Avery being the most hated player in the NHL. No doubt. But the "most overrated"? The "dirtiest"? No. First of all, how can a guy who went undrafted, has never been regarded as more than a 3rd liner and is known more for his off-color comments than his hockey skills, all of a sudden be considered overrated? I'll tell you why. Because this so-called "poll" was taken amongst the players and Avery is hated so much by opposing players that they will label him in any negative category imaginable. Secondly, Avery is not a "dirty" player. Is he an instigator? Yes. Is he annoying? Absolutely. Is he a trash-talking yapper? You betcha. Does he throw an occasional elbow? More than likely. But, does he take out player's knees? Does he spear people? Does he high stick players in the head? Does he carve up player's faces? Not that I've ever seen and I defy anyone to support that. That's what "dirty" players do. The Michael Peca's. The Jarkko Ruutu's. The Vaclav Varada's. The Craig Berube's. The bottom line? Advantage: Avery. He's done his job by getting under the skin of fellow NHL players and he's obviously gotten under the skin of fans of other teams who come on here and spew hatred toward him. Too bad for you haters that he's a Ranger and not on your team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sure is. And here's what I don't get. I can understand Avery being the most hated player in the NHL. No doubt. But the "most overrated"? The "dirtiest"? No. First of all, how can a guy who went undrafted, has never been regarded as more than a 3rd liner and is known more for his off-color comments than his hockey skills, all of a sudden be considered overrated? I'll tell you why. Because this so-called "poll" was taken amongst the players and Avery is hated so much by opposing players that they will label him in any negative category imaginable. Secondly, Avery is not a "dirty" player. Is he an instigator? Yes. Is he annoying? Absolutely. Is he a trash-talking yapper? You betcha. Does he throw an occasional elbow? More than likely. But, does he take out player's knees? Does he spear people? Does he high stick players in the head? Does he carve up player's faces? Not that I've ever seen and I defy anyone to support that. That's what "dirty" players do. The Michael Peca's. The Jarkko Ruutu's. The Vaclav Varada's. The Craig Berube's. The bottom line? Advantage: Avery. He's done his job by getting under the skin of fellow NHL players and he's obviously gotten under the skin of fans of other teams who come on here and spew hatred toward him. Too bad for you haters that he's a Ranger and not on your team.
    WELL SAID......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree completely....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the basic premise of your statement. But, like other agitators, Avery crosses the line at times. He speared Brendan Witt pretty good earlier this year when he was still with the Kings.

(from a Kings fansite)

http://www.kingshockey.com/articles.cfm?id=51

It is possible that the league could review videotape of this incident and issue additional punishment to Avery, who was fortunate that he did not receive a major penalty or even a match penalty for spearing

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    I agree with the basic premise of your statement. But, like other agitators, Avery crosses the line at times. He speared Brendan Witt pretty good earlier this year when he was still with the Kings.

(from a Kings fansite)

http://www.kingshockey.com/articles.cfm?id=51

It is possible that the league could review videotape of this incident and issue additional punishment to Avery, who was fortunate that he did not receive a major penalty or even a match penalty for spearing
    He's not an angel but I honestly don't define him as a dirty player. The players I mentioned earlier certainly fit that category. BTW, Jason Blake put a pretty good spear on Sydney Crosby earlier this year that caught a lot of criticism. At least Avery is not afraid to pick on someone who can probably beat the crap out of him. No offense but Blake is a little pu**y who will only do stuff like that against star players who are not known for dropping the gloves.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    He's not an angel but I honestly don't define him as a dirty player. The players I mentioned earlier certainly fit that category. BTW, Jason Blake put a pretty good spear on Sydney Crosby earlier this year that caught a lot of criticism. At least Avery is not afraid to pick on someone who can probably beat the crap out of him. No offense but Blake is a little pu**y who will only do stuff like that against star players who are not known for dropping the gloves.

As I said earlier, I agree with your basic premise. One play does not make someone a lifelong "dirty player".

As far as Jason Blake being a p*ssy, you cannot be farther from the truth. He is a scrappy little guy who gives 110% all times. He actually tries to put hits on anyone on the ice. I remember specifically him knocking himself out when he tried to put a hit on Lindros, who's twice his size --he also didn't back down from Messier several years ago during a scrum --Mess almost choked him to death. You can say the guy holds on to the puck too much, and may not play a controlled game, but a p*ssy is way off. But what does Jason Blake have to do with anything? I don't recall the specific play you are talking about nor does it have anything to do with Sean Avery. To repeat myself again, I agreed with you above. I don't think he's a "dirty" player, based on that one play.

I would disagree with your assessment of Michael Peca as a "dirty" player though. I heard that reputation when he came to the Islanders, but I never saw one questionable hit when he played here --and certainly nothing intentionally meant to injure.

IMHO, Varada is the dirtiest player in the league (actually not sure if he's still even in the league). He's the primo example of a p*ssy Euro who will use his stick but never drop his gloves.
    Last edited by crasherino; 04-15-2007 at 08:55 PM.