Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT-Latin Players In Major League Baseball.

All League

OT-Latin Players In Major League Baseball.

Reading that ESPN article got me to thinking......why is a big deal never made about Latin players in Major League Baseball?

The first latin player (Luis Castro-Philadelphia A's) and his exploits, breaking the color barrier, etc. Are latin player considered white? They were discriminated against. Now, they make up 30% of the league. To me they are clearly the most talented players on the field and that number will continue to grow. In 15 years they will comprise nearly 50% of the league. What gives? I'm half Italian and half Puerto Rican.....not that I truly care because I'll get on with my life and I'm not a bleeding heart, but it's a great discussion of "double-standards," "discrimination," and "struggle," and I think it let's us know where our priorities are as a country.

Discuss........
    Last edited by Bleedgreen; 04-10-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen
    Reading that ESPN article got me to thinking......why is a big deal never made about Latin players in Major League Baseball?

The first latin player (Luis Castro-Philadelphia A's) and his exploits, breaking the color barrier, etc. Are latin player considered white? They were discriminated against. Now, they make up 30% of the league. To me they are clearly the most talented players on the field and that number will continue to grow. In 15 years they will comprise nearly 50% of the league. What gives? I'm half Italian and half Puerto Rican.....not that I truly care because I'll get on with my life and I'm not a bleeding heart, but it's a great discussion of "double-standards," "discrimination," and "struggle," and I think it let's us know where our priorities are as a country.

Discuss........

really don't think it's anything to discuss...if they are good enough to make MLB squads then so be it.

people seem to want to make an issue out of everything.

when is the jews in baseball article coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    when is the jews in baseball article coming out?
    jews play baseball

Quote Originally Posted by 023
    jews play baseball
    Yes but not in exact percentages equal to our population. WE MUST INVESTIGATE!!!

(We are however 87% of all agents.)

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 023
    jews play baseball

Yes, they are usually known as "crafty" veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak
    really don't think it's anything to discuss...if they are good enough to make MLB squads then so be it.

people seem to want to make an issue out of everything.
    TRUE!!! Enough already

Quote Originally Posted by dmaynard
    Yes, they are usually known as "crafty" veterans.

I am holding a press conference with Alan Dershowitz in 10 minutes where I expect you to aplogize for that remark and quit your job.

I heard theyre gonna start recruiting iranian kids...that should be a good read

I wont go there. I got my eyes gouged out by JI posters last year for my Imus-style comments. Basically, what happened to the American Pasttime?

All League
    Sandy Koufax, one of the greatest pitchers in the history of the game was a jew.

Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead
    Basically, what happened to the American Pasttime?
    Its now played on a computer game.

Hall Of Fame

I am holding a press conference with Alan Dershowitz in 10 minutes where I expect you to aplogize for that remark and quit your job.
    I'll fire myself. I am half Jewish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen

Discuss........
    I think it's maybe because they are considered black too and therefore their struggle is part of the black populations in the US. But as you know, we come in all colors and every shade of all colors on top of that... I'm Dominican/Puerto Rican so I'm with you. It's unreal the talent that our players posses and it's only gonna' get better from here. I ain't stressin' it. There's gonna' come a time when they're gonna' have to pay attention to the stark numbers Latin of players doing big things in the league. It may be America's past time but nobody ever said it belonged to "North" America alone... The rest of the Americas are representin' being led by the Caribean baby!
    Last edited by JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB; 04-10-2007 at 01:18 PM.

I'll fire myself. I am half Jewish.
    I bet you've been embezzling from yourself for years.

Hall Of Fame

Yes, but my Jewish sense of guilt made me give it back.

Mets have three Jews on their team, the most in the majors

(Newhan, Green and Schoenwies)

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead
    I wont go there. I got my eyes gouged out by JI posters last year for my Imus-style comments. Basically, what happened to the American Pasttime?
    Well, it is an intelligent, "thinking man's" game.......a game of anticipation. The fact is that most youngsters coming up have none of these qualities because of such things as video games, tivo, and technology in general.

The kids today are dumbed down, and lazy. Because of this, all sports in the future will suffer. Not just baseball.

Yes, but my Jewish sense of guilt made me give it back.
    Your such a mensch!

Lay off my Jewish brothers u two!!! lol