Thread: Gold Star Dad Says Anti-War Dems 'Too Busy' to Meet Him

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Gold Star Dad Says Anti-War Dems 'Too Busy' to Meet Him

[QUOTE][B]Gold Star Dad Says Anti-War Dems 'Too Busy' to Meet Him
    By Nathan Burchfiel[/B]

(CNSNews.com) - Leading Democratic proponents of setting a timetable for pulling troops out of Iraq have refused to meet with the father of a dead soldier who believes a withdrawal would mean his son's life was "wasted."

Army SSG Joshua Hager was wounded near Ramadi when an improvised explosive device blew up under his vehicle on Feb. 22, 2007. He died the next day from his injuries.

Hager's father, Kris Hager, wants opponents of the war to rethink their position because he believes ending U.S. involvement would mean his son's life was wasted there.

"How do I tell my grandson his father's life was wasted by Congress?" Hager said in an email.

Hager told Cybercast News Service that information he's received from his son's commanders led him to believe the bomb that killed Joshua originated in Iran. He believes withdrawing troops from Iraq will weaken the United States' ability to pressure Iran to stop supplying insurgent forces with weapons.

The U.S. military and President Bush have accused Iran of supplying money, weapons and ammunition to Iraqi insurgents, resulting in more sophisticated and deadly bombs. Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has denied the allegations.

[B]Hager has tried -- without success -- to schedule meetings or phone calls with some of the leading proponents of a military withdrawal, including Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Rep. John Murtha of Pennsylvania.[/B]

As Cybercast News Service previously reported, the U.S. House of Representatives on March 23 voted to pass a bill authorizing increased funding for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan while setting a September 2008 deadline for withdrawing troops.

A similar bill was passed in the Senate on March 29, and the two houses are now conferencing on the bill to iron out differences. Kerry, Murtha and Pelosi were among the bills' supporters.

[B]"Each of their offices said they were too busy to speak with me," Hager said.[/B] The Florida resident's own elected officials -- Sen. Bill Nelson, a Democrat, and Republicans Sen. Mel Martinez and Rep. Vern Buchanan -- all spoke with him over the phone to express their sympathies.

A spokesman for Sen. Kerry said he does not have a policy on meeting with families of fallen soldiers. "However, Senator Kerry meets with families when he can and has talked with members from his home state and outside the state as well," the spokesman said.

Spokesmen for Murtha and Pelosi did not respond to calls and e-mails requesting comment Wednesday.

Hagel said he feels entitled to meet with prominent opponents of the war, even if he is not one of their constituents, because "they have taken a national stance."

"They talk all the time about the people -- 70 percent of the Americans want them to get us out. They're not talking in the bounds of their constituency," he said. "People like Murtha and Kerry who have traded on their military records, they owe me a chance to at least talk. I deserve that."

[B]"I've seen them embracing Cindy Sheehan," Hager added, referring to the prominent anti-war activist whose son was killed in Iraq. "They make themselves accessible to people who agree with them. I think it's a small enough club of fathers who have lost sons that I can get that access, at their convenience."[/B] [/QUOTE]

I'm sure the liberal media will run to Mr. Hager with microphone in hand to get his side of the story.....just as they fawn over cindy sheehan.... :rolleyes:

[url]http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200704/POL20070412a.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this guy's son died probably for no good reason. it's a brutal conclusion to come to but keeping the troops in Iraq for another 30 years won't change that fact.

what's more important that our country do what's best for the country or do what's best for certain greiving families?? if Cindy Sheehan can't influence gov't policy neither should this guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Hager's father, Kris Hager, wants opponents of the war to rethink their position because he believes ending U.S. involvement would mean his son's life was wasted there.

"How do I tell my grandson his father's life was wasted by Congress?" Hager said in an email.[/QUOTE]

This is troubling here. How can he blame this congress when the 'do nothing congress' that we booted along with GWB caused this war?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]This is troubling here. How can he blame this congress when the 'do nothing congress' that we booted along with GWB caused this war?[/QUOTE]

Because you're a biased fool if you think the current Democrats are any better than the Republicans.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, now he'll probably set up camp outside one of Pelosi's many mansions, and refuse to leave, and whoreitup for the cameras, and the media will fawn over his every word and make him a hero, and no one will be able to dispute his words because he lost a son, and then he'll forget to put a proper tombstone on his son's grave for 3 years, and...oh wait, he's not a left-wing kooky c-nt. Sorry, disregard all the above.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]Because you're a biased fool if you think the current Democrats are any better than the Republicans.[/QUOTE]

I posted in the Diane F thread

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318]Yeah, now he'll probably set up camp outside one of Pelosi's many mansions, and refuse to leave, and whoreitup for the cameras, and the media will fawn over his every word and make him a hero, and no one will be able to dispute his words because he lost a son, and then he'll forget to put a proper tombstone on his son's grave for 3 years, and...oh wait, he's not a left-wing kooky c-nt. Sorry, disregard all the above.[/QUOTE]

Posts like this don't appear often enough. Savor it gentlemen! :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I had Pelosi's e-mail address!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan]I wish I had Pelosi's e-mail address![/QUOTE]
    [email]sf.nancy@mail.house.gov[/email]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE][B]"How do I tell my grandson his father's life was wasted by Congress?"[/B] Hager said in an email.[/QUOTE]

You dont have to. When your grandson grows old enough, he will sadly find that out on his own.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's see it is the media and congress' fault? I guess GW met with him? Oh wait why ask the person who actually wanted his son and every OTHER person's children there first?

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]I'm sure the liberal media will run to Mr. Hager with microphone in hand to get his side of the story.....just as they fawn over cindy sheehan.... :rolleyes:

[url]http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200704/POL20070412a.html[/url][/QUOTE]