Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Israeli Army using Palestinian children as shields

Israeli Army using Palestinian children as shields

Is this a non-issue because the children are Palestinian?

[QUOTE]Israeli in human shield case suspended By AMY TEIBEL, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 53 minutes ago

Israel suspended a commander whose troops ordered two Palestinian youths in the West Bank to stand in front of their vehicle to protect it from stones thrown by locals, the army spokesman's office said Friday.

[B]The incident in Nablus on Wednesday, captured on video, is the latest sign that the army continues to use human shields in violation of international law and a landmark Israeli Supreme Court ruling in 2005 barring the practice.[/B]

The army statement Friday said Israeli soldiers "apparently made prohibited use of civilians" and that the unit's commander would be suspended "from all operational activity, in addition to the ongoing investigation into the matter." The commander was not named.

The footage was filmed by a foreign peace activist during a raid on the home of a wanted militant, and aired on the Yediot Ahronot newspaper Web site. Troops damaged the house, but the fugitive was not inside.

[B]For years, Palestinians had complained about the army's use of human shields, but proof was elusive. Then in late February, Associated Press Television News captured footage of a Palestinian man forced to lead heavily armed soldiers on a manhunt for militants, in a house-to-house search.[/B]

Others, including an 11-year-old girl, have come forward with similar accounts of being compelled to walk ahead of soldiers looking for militants.

International law, including the Geneva Conventions and Hague regulations, prohibits placing civilians in harm's way during military operations.

The APTN video prompted the army to launch a rare criminal investigation into whether its soldiers have broken the law as critics claim. The army has promised a vigorous investigation.

Palestinian Information Minister Mustafa Barghouti said the suspension failed to address the fundamental problem.

"They are treating it as an isolated incident," he said. "The problem is systematic and ... they (troops) continued the practice despite the court order," he said.

Human rights groups say the use of civilians in military operations has dropped since the Supreme Court banned it, but the recent cases suggest the practice continues.

The court ruling was prompted by an outcry over the army's widespread practice, in a 2002 West Bank offensive, of forcing Palestinian civilians to approach fugitives' hideouts.

The army, which launched the offensive following a rash of suicide bombings, defended the practice then, saying it kept civilians out of harm's way and encouraged militants to surrender peacefully. And it says it never allowed troops to use civilians for cover during battles.

But in August 2002, a 19-year-old Palestinian student was killed in a gunfight that erupted after he was forced to knock on the door of a building where a fugitive was hiding.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070413/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_human_shields&printer=1;_ylt=ArF38x.aTeSv9RiLlAMkS2kUewgF[/url]

Veteran
    [QUOTE=cr726]Is this a non-issue because the children are Palestinian?

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070413/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_human_shields&printer=1;_ylt=ArF38x.aTeSv9RiLlAMkS2kUewgF[/url][/QUOTE]

No, its wrong. Thats why the Israeli govt suspended him.

Hall Of Fame
    Of [I]course [/I] it's an issue. This is terrible and should be punished.

Both sides do it, however, only [I]one[/I] side issues rules against doing it and suspends people who do it. The Israelis are investigating this and those who are found to have done it are suffering consequences it seems, right? Is Hamas doing the same?

The "Palestinians" not only use human shields to defend themselves from reprisals against aggression they initiated, they also intentionally target Israeli civilians - that's essentially their entire strategy, and they entice people to kill Israeli civilians by promising their families money and them martyrdom. This practice is more than "widespread" among Palestinians, IT IS THEIR ENTIRE STRATEGY. They don't do anything BUT kill Israeli civilians and use human shields. They hide in residential areas and put weapons in schools and then march out the dead civilians that THEY put in harm's way as evidence of Israel's callousness. They don't want Israel to do this anymore..guess what, stop firing rockets into Israel every day and stop the suicide attacks.

But hey, moral equivalence is easy and fun, right? Wake me when you start a thread condemning the intentional targeting of Israeli civilians.

I agree.

[QUOTE=sect112row36]No, its wrong. Thats why the Israeli govt suspended him.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=sect112row36]No, its wrong. Thats why the Israeli govt suspended him.[/QUOTE]

as opposed to the Pali's whom encourage it....

Let me understand your thoughts here? You are saying that a military using children as a shield is equivalent to terrorists?

So you would not have an issue if your local police department used your child as a shield because hey there was a murder in the neighborhood and they did the same thing?

Where is the moral higher ground? Well they do it so f em.

Your arrogance is getting old.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Of [I]course [/I] it's an issue. This is terrible and should be punished.

Both sides do it, however, only [I]one[/I] side issues rules against doing it and suspends people who do it. The Israelis are investigating this and those who are found to have done it are suffering consequences it seems, right? Is Hamas doing the same?

The "Palestinians" not only use human shields to defend themselves from reprisals against aggression they initiated, they also intentionally target Israeli civilians - that's essentially their entire strategy, and they entice people to kill Israeli civilians by promising their families money and them martyrdom. This practice is more than "widespread" among Palestinians, IT IS THEIR ENTIRE STRATEGY. They don't do anything BUT kill Israeli civilians and use human shields. They hide in residential areas and put weapons in schools and then march out the dead civilians that THEY put in harm's way as evidence of Israel's callousness. They don't want Israel to do this anymore..guess what, stop firing rockets into Israel every day and stop the suicide attacks.

But hey, moral equivalence is easy and fun, right? Wake me when you start a thread condemning the intentional targeting of Israeli civilians.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Of [I]course [/I] it's an issue. This is terrible and should be punished.

But hey, moral equivalence is easy and fun, right? Wake me when you start a thread condemning the intentional targeting of Israeli civilians.[/QUOTE]

Great Post. :yes: I have nothing to add, you covered it perfectly.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=cr726]Let me understand your thoughts here? You are saying that a military using children as a shield is equivalent to terrorists?

So you would not have an issue if your local police department used your child as a shield because hey there was a murder in the neighborhood and they did the same thing?

Your arrogance is getting old.[/QUOTE]

Um, am I missing something? Seems to be no correlation betw your response and J5's post.

It is ok to ignore the article because the Palestinians do it too? That is his point.

[QUOTE=sect112row36]Um, am I missing something? Seems to be no correlation betw your response and J5's post.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726]It is ok to ignore the article because the Palestinians do it too? That is his point.[/QUOTE]

He didn't say it's ok to ignore the article, he said it's terrible and the person should be punished.

[QUOTE=cr726]It is ok to ignore the article because the Palestinians do it too? That is his point.[/QUOTE]

HELLO!! Is anyone home?

This is J5's quote.
    [QUOTE]They don't want Israel to do this anymore..guess what, stop firing rockets into Israel every day and stop the suicide attacks.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=pauliec]He didn't say it's ok to ignore the article, he said it's terrible and the person should be punished.[/QUOTE]

Israel Charged With Systematic Harassment of U.S. Marines

Some hidden history between the US/Israel/Palestine.

Not a decalared war Warfish, but Marines were killed.

[url]http://www.washington-report.org/backissues/0395/9503079.htm[/url]

[QUOTE=Warfish]Great Post. :yes: I have nothing to add, you covered it perfectly.[/QUOTE]
    I'll second that! I will add that the headline is misleading. Someone in the Israeli Army did it and they are facing the consequences. It is not Israeli Army policy.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Some hidden history between the US/Israel/Palestine.

[url]http://www.washington-report.org/backissues/0395/9503079.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

And this is relevant to the utilizing of children as shields because.....

(It must be me because I'm not following any of these responses today...TGIF)

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Some hidden history between the US/Israel/Palestine.

[url]http://www.washington-report.org/backissues/0395/9503079.htm[/url][/QUOTE]
    Give me a break JD. This is from 1983. Of course there is always tension when neutral troops are put in the middle of fighting parties. The Americans that were killed by the cluster bomb was an accident.

Of course the same can't be true of the suicide bombing attacks of the Marine barracks by the Arabs.

Very selected, misleading and biased reporting here JD.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=cr726]Let me understand your thoughts here? You are saying that a military using children as a shield is equivalent to terrorists?

Your arrogance is getting old.[/QUOTE]

No, I am not saying that. You try to refute arguments that I don't make. Again, these people are being investigated and punished. The moral high ground is in the investigation and punishment. You don't seem to grasp that. People are a-holes, for the most part. You are going to get people who advocate and do terrible things. No society is free from this, not the US, not Europe, not Israel. However, a true test of whether or not a culture has a moral high ground is in how it reacts and responds to these things. Israelis pass laws forbidding them, investigate allegations and punish people who do this. The US punishes police officers who do this and virtually everyone in our culture agrees that that would be a horrible thing for a cop to do. The difference bwteeen that and Hamas is that Hamas and the Palestinian culture as a whole do NOT condemn suicide bombings of Israeli children - rather, they cheer them! They encourage them and glorify them. That is the difference and that is what you don't get.

And your initial post in this thread was argumentative, so forgive me if I responded in kind. In your zeal to damage Israel and by extension, American conservatives, you have ignorantly engaged in the type of moral relativism that is a current disease of the Western Left. If you don't see the moral high ground, it because you are not willing to look for it. It's right there and you know it and if you were intelelctually honest instead of reactively opposed to anything right-wing, you'd agree.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]Give me a break JD. This is from 1983. Of course there is always tension when neutral troops are put in the middle of fighting parties. The Americans that were killed by the cluster bomb was an accident.

Of course the same can't be true of the suicide bombing attacks of the Marine barracks by the Arabs.

Very selected, misleading and biased reporting here JD.[/QUOTE]

I think he was hoping that no one would actually read the article in depth.

It seems that this is an issue because there was actually someone there who caught it on tape. I don't believe this is the first and only time, but Israel pretends it doesn't exist. I wish stuff like this didn't exist, but I honestly believe we have created the same thing in Iraq. Iraq is the new Israel and I am not trying to compare the cause, but the effect. The U.S. like Israel will continue to get attacked relentlessly and these type of things are going to happen over and over. It is going to be neverending.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]No, I am not saying that. You try to refute arguments that I don't make. Again, these people are being investigated and punished. The moral high ground is in the investigation and punishment. You don't seem to grasp that. People are a-holes, for the most part. You are going to get people who advocate and do terrible things. No society is free from this, not the US, not Europe, not Israel. However, a true test of whether or not a culture has a moral high ground is in how it reacts and responds to these things. Israelis pass laws forbidding them, investigate allegations and punish people who do this. The US punishes police officers who do this and virtually everyone in our culture agrees that that would be a horrible thing for a cop to do. The difference bwteeen that and Hamas is that Hamas and the Palestinian culture as a whole do NOT condemn suicide bombings of Israeli children - rather, they cheer them! They encourage them and glorify them. That is the difference and that is what you don't get.

And your initial post in this thread was argumentative, so forgive me if I responded in kind. In your zeal to damage Israel and by extension, American conservatives, you have ignorantly engaged in the type of moral relativism that is a current disease of the Western Left. If you don't see the moral high ground, it because you are not willing to look for it. It's right there and you know it and if you were intelelctually honest instead of reactively opposed to anything right-wing, you'd agree.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]Give me a break JD. This is from 1983. Of course there is always tension when neutral troops are put in the middle of fighting parties. The Americans that were killed by the cluster bomb was an accident.

Very selected, misleading and biased reporting here JD.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with you the QJF. Those were my guys out there, Marines I lived with and also in those barracks that day. In 1982 I was in the Falklands area with the 2nd Fleet while my buddies went to the MENA

I see on this site that Israel is always positioned as the Good guys and when some one refutes that a lot of ill is brought upon them.

Here is some history that we Marines know well as we lived it. I think you should review your bias and check out some history regarding Israeli troops and US Marines then come back to me.