Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "He’s a draft dodger" - Rudy and ’Nam

All Pro

"He’s a draft dodger" - Rudy and ’Nam

Rudy Giuliani, speaking about terrorism and the Iraq war, said last week, “It is something I understand better than anyone else running for president.” How long will John McCain—a real-life war hero down seventeen points in the polls—stand for such bluster, considering the lengths Giuliani went to to stay out of Vietnam?

He won’t mention Rudy’s military history—yet. It’s too early in the primary cycle to go negative. But opponents know this is the warrior-mayor’s biggest weakness. “If Giuliani is the nominee, we’re going to hammer him with ads, and it’s going to be easy because the issue is simple: He’s a draft dodger,” says Jon Soltz, an Iraq vet who served as a captain and runs VoteVets.org, a left-leaning version of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. “Giuliani gets a zero-zero,” says General Wesley Clark, an adviser to the group. “He wasn’t willing to risk his life for his country, and he has no relevant experience that’s in any way useful to be commander-in-chief. He hosted the U.N. and had a large police force.”

To recap: After receiving several deferments as a student, Giuliani applied for an occupational deferment as a law clerk, but his application was rejected. Giuliani appealed their decision, and asked the federal judge he was clerking for to petition the draft board for him. Which the judge did. When his deferment expired in 1970, Giuliani became susceptible to the draft. He received a high number and was never called. Giuliani “has made it clear that if he had been called up, he would have served,” says Katie Levinson, Giuliani’s spokesperson. He was opposed to the war in Vietnam on “strategic and tactical” grounds, she says. Asked to clarify what tactics Giuliani opposed, Levinson declined to offer specifics. “Voters will choose the next commander-in-chief based on their whole record, and we believe the mayor’s record speaks for itself.”
    http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/30661/

UH OH. Does not look good. Major issue here for him

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

more dumbdawg ignorance...

please point to specific evidence, as offered above, that he "dodged" the draft....

then again draft doding never hurt clinton one bit.....not only did he dodge the draft he protested against this country in London while dodging it.....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-17-2007 at 11:58 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg

Sure, it was a major issue for Bill Clinton.

He didn't "dodge" anything. He did what any one would. Used legal measures to avoid what he didn't believe in.

Unlike others who ran out of the country.

Veteran

Ouch---I hope this doesnt affect Rudy in the same way it hurt Bill Clintons run for presidency.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY
    more dumbdawg ignorance...

please point to specific evidence, as offered above, that he "dodged" the draft....

then again draft doding never hurt clinton one bit.....not only did he dodge the draft he protested against this country in London while dodging it.....
    Why attack me? Vote Vets made the statement:

VoteVets.org, a left-leaning version of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. “Giuliani gets a zero-zero,” says General Wesley Clark, an adviser to the group. “He wasn’t willing to risk his life for his country,
    If you don't think that commercials will run on the air as a reminder of this, I would recommend that you do. The democrats have raised a lot of money thus far.

JetsFan2012
    I fail to see how this is an issue. With the exception of McCain, none of the other 5 candidates served in Nam (Hilary, Obama, Edwards, Romney, Rudy).

Neither did you, Jetdawgg.

Hall Of Fame
    It is hard to believe a young man in his early 20's wouldn't want to fight for his country.

Do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    I fail to see how this is an issue. With the exception of McCain, none of the other 5 candidates served in Nam (Hilary, Obama, Edwards, Romney, Rudy).

Neither did you, Jetdawgg.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726
    It is hard to believe a young man in his early 20's wouldn't want to fight for his country.

Do tell.

I already did.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    please move this to the draft forum

JetsInsider.com Legend
    After receiving several deferments as a student (LEGIT), Giuliani applied for an occupational deferment as a law clerk, but his application was rejected.

Giuliani appealed their decision (LEGIT), and asked the federal judge he was clerking for to petition the draft board for him (LEGIT). Which the judge did.

When his deferment expired in 1970, Giuliani became susceptible to the draft. He received a high number and was never called.
    I fail to see the "dodging" involved above.

Quote Originally Posted by JetDawgg
    “Voters will choose the next commander-in-chief based on their whole record, and we believe the mayor’s record speaks for itself.”
    Indeed they will. Or, they might just vote along one-issue or party-lines, as 90% of our voters ACTUALLY do.

This is almost as bad as the bread price miscalculation.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance
    This is almost as bad as the bread price miscalculation.

Because a lady of MY calibre doesn't do her own shopping.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish
    I fail to see the "dodging" involved above.

Indeed they will. Or, they might just vote along one-issue or party-lines, as 90% of our voters ACTUALLY do.
    Getting a deferment for working as a Law Clerk to a Judge was/is NOT Legit. This is not a "priority job" that people coould get out of being drafted for. Thats why he had his judge petition the court. Clearly he was very influential.

That being said, i have no problem with Rudy being a dradt dodger. Rudy clearly stated he was against the Vienam War and had a problem with how it was conducted. People who are against the war and dodged the draft are OK in my book. It is the scumbags who were FOR the war and cheerleaders FOR the war who dodged the draft that I have a problem with. Those guys are the biggest lowlife, POS, a$$holes who deserve being criticized as draftdodgers

All Pro
    The democrats and McCain will use this like a hammer. They only have to tell part of the truth.

People will hear "draft dodger" and "pro war" terminology.

JetsFan2012
    The democrats and McCain will use this like a hammer. They only have to tell part of the truth.

And morons will believe it. And, as I've said, 75% of this country is a few IQ points shy of being clinically retarded.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    And, as I've said, 75% of this country is a few IQ points shy of being clinically retarded.

Yes, indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7
    i have no problem with Rudy being a dradt dodger.
    I have a problem with defining him as a draft dodger, everything was above board, was it not?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan

Yes, indeed...
    and to think...he got better grades at Yale than this bozzo...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

it will dwarf obama's cocaine use, should he gets the nod....

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY
    and to think...he got better grades at Yale than this bozzo...
    I wasn't referring to the clowns in the center of the picture I posted...I was referring to the throngs of clowns behind him...the 75% of this country a few IQ points shy of being clinically retarded that Paulie was talking about....