Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 171 Murdered in Baghdad Today i.e. 5 X VT

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

171 Murdered in Baghdad Today i.e. 5 X VT

It hit me the other day that Iraqis have a Virginia Tech everyday. It feels different when we lose our own countrymen, they could've been our friends or family but in all corners of the world people are still just people. 171 civilians killed in one day in one city, just as senseless as the Virginia Tech massacre.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Insurgent bombers launched a series of attacks across Baghdad on Wednesday and killed at least 171 people and wounded scores -- a particularly violent day in a bloody capital city enduring sectarian warfare and an aggressive government crackdown against insurgents.

Further south, British forces transferred security control to Iraqi troops in Maysan province, a sign that Iraq is taking another step toward "self-reliance." However, the spate of Baghdad blasts reflects the stiff challenges posed by what has been a resilient insurgency. (Watch as death toll climbs after attacks in Iraq Video)

The Interior Ministry issued this update:

122 dead, 150 wounded in Sadriya market in central Baghdad;

28 dead, 44 wounded in an attack near an Iraqi Army checkpoint at one of the entrances to Sadr City, the official said;

11 civilians were killed and 13 others wounded when a parked car bomb detonated in central Baghdad's Karrada district. The car was parked near a hospital and a market;

Four police officers were killed and 6 civilians wounded shortly when a suicide car bomber exploded at an Iraqi police checkpoint in southern Baghdad;

Four people were killed and eight were wounded by a bomber targeting a police patrol near a checkpoint in Saidiya, in southwestern Baghdad. Two of those killed were police and the other two were civilians;

Two civilians were killed and 9 others wounded when a roadside bomb detonated at a busy intersection in central Baghdad.

Meanwhile, the U.S. military was on the move against insurgents.

Coalition raids in and around the Iraqi cities of Falluja, Taji, and Mosul on Wednesday led to the killings of six insurgents and the detention of more than 40 others, the U.S. military said.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Blair Thomas]It hit me the other day that Iraqis have a Virginia Tech everyday. It feels different when we lose our own countrymen, they could've been our friends or family but in all corners of the world people are still just people. 171 civilians killed in one day in one city, just as senseless as the Virginia Tech massacre.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Insurgent bombers launched a series of attacks across Baghdad on Wednesday and killed at least 171 people and wounded scores -- a particularly violent day in a bloody capital city enduring sectarian warfare and an aggressive government crackdown against insurgents.

Further south, British forces transferred security control to Iraqi troops in Maysan province, a sign that Iraq is taking another step toward "self-reliance." However, the spate of Baghdad blasts reflects the stiff challenges posed by what has been a resilient insurgency. (Watch as death toll climbs after attacks in Iraq Video)

The Interior Ministry issued this update:

122 dead, 150 wounded in Sadriya market in central Baghdad;

28 dead, 44 wounded in an attack near an Iraqi Army checkpoint at one of the entrances to Sadr City, the official said;

11 civilians were killed and 13 others wounded when a parked car bomb detonated in central Baghdad's Karrada district. The car was parked near a hospital and a market;

Four police officers were killed and 6 civilians wounded shortly when a suicide car bomber exploded at an Iraqi police checkpoint in southern Baghdad;

Four people were killed and eight were wounded by a bomber targeting a police patrol near a checkpoint in Saidiya, in southwestern Baghdad. Two of those killed were police and the other two were civilians;

Two civilians were killed and 9 others wounded when a roadside bomb detonated at a busy intersection in central Baghdad.

Meanwhile, the U.S. military was on the move against insurgents.

Coalition raids in and around the Iraqi cities of Falluja, Taji, and Mosul on Wednesday led to the killings of six insurgents and the detention of more than 40 others, the U.S. military said.[/QUOTE]

This crap will never end. :(

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Blair Thomas]It hit me the other day that Iraqis have a Virginia Tech everyday. [/QUOTE]

:yes:

or 6 virginia techs in 1 day as it were

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [URL=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/]What about Iraq?[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Blair Thomas]It hit me the other day that Iraqis have a Virginia Tech everyday. It feels different when we lose our own countrymen, they could've been our friends or family but in all corners of the world people are still just people. 171 civilians killed in one day in one city, just as senseless as the Virginia Tech massacre...[/QUOTE]

It's called birth pangs of democracy...and it only hurts the Iraqis just a little...
    [IMG]http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/home/cassandr/public_html/vcblog/mt/images/condi.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]:yes:

or 6 virginia techs in 1 day as it were[/QUOTE]

Bit, I get the I told you so's - though I'd be interested to know which portions of Baghdad have been part of the take and hold strategy thus far (and the fact that one of the bombings was at the entrance to Sadr City rather than in it makes me think that none of these attacks were in areas we have moved into) - but the nodding smiley is more than a bit ghoulish in this context.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And 4,000 americans are killed in abortions every day. That number astounds me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]:yes:

[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it]Bit, I get the I told you so's - though I'd be interested to know which portions of Baghdad have been part of the take and hold strategy thus far (and the fact that one of the bombings was at the entrance to Sadr City rather than in it makes me think that none of these attacks were in areas we have moved into) - but the nodding smiley is more than a bit ghoulish in this context.[/QUOTE]

So this is how you find justification in 171 Iraqi civilians dead in one day?
    The fact that it did not occur in areas we have moved into somehow validates this foolish Troop Surge policy? What do you suggest, we occupy every city all the time at the same time so that we controll violence? Until when? Forever? The only thing ghoulish is those who treat this daily violence in Iraq as ho-hum. Every day Iraqis are faced with a VT. Actually 33 dead in a day in Iraq would be considered a quiet day. Im not trying to belittle what happened in VT. Its sad, an absolute tragedy. But when 171 Iraqis are killed today and when 50-100 Iraqis are killed each day I find it disgraceful that no one gives a damn and has the audacity to think 'progress' is being made. Perhaps if people valued Arab lives more instead of viewing them as subhumanoid-garbage there would be some outrage.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JCnflies]And 4,000 americans are killed in abortions every day. That number astounds me.[/QUOTE]
    its all natural selection to me... :)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]So this is how you find justification in 171 Iraqi civilians dead in one day?
    The fact that it did not occur in areas we have moved into somehow validates this foolish Troop Surge policy? What do you suggest, we occupy every city all the time at the same time so that we controll violence? Until when? Forever? The only thing ghoulish is those who treat this daily violence in Iraq as ho-hum. Every day Iraqis are faced with a VT. Actually 33 dead in a day in Iraq would be considered a quiet day. Im not trying to belittle what happened in VT. Its sad, an absolute tragedy. But when 171 Iraqis are killed today and when 50-100 Iraqis are killed each day I find it disgraceful that no one gives a damn and has the audacity to think 'progress' is being made. Perhaps if people valued Arab lives more instead of viewing them as subhumanoid-garbage there would be some outrage.[/QUOTE]

Moreover, kennyo7 what about the troops who die? We show more anguish over the 33 students that died at VT (and we should be outraged) but not the same intensity toward the death of our Soldiers and Marines.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JCnflies]And 4,000 americans are killed in abortions every day. That number astounds me.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but you have to be born to be considered an American.
    If you are honestly going to compare the life of a 21 yo to an unborn 12 week old fetus then you are truly insane.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]So this is how you find justification in 171 Iraqi civilians dead in one day?[/QUOTE]

You do realize they are killing themselves, for the most part, and not us. And that WE are not killing any of them, again, for the most part.

What makes you think the Death Toll will lower when we leave? Think 171 Civilians is alot, wait till there is no Millitary there to stop the extremists on both sides, and it'll make 171 look tame.

You act like WE, our soldiers, lined up 171 Iraqis and assassinated them. That simply isn't factual. Yes, 171 died, at the hands of their fellow countrymen, not our hands.

You want to be strident, you want to be angry, how about a little of that aimed at the folks in iraq who refuse to make peace, refuse to put down their arms, refuse to allow others of alternate faiths to live in peace, and refuse to let Iraq have Peace? I see alot of anger from you at US, but damn little aimed at THEM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]You do realize they are killing themselves, for the most part, and not us. And that WE are not killing any of them, again, for the most part.

.[/QUOTE]
    Yes I realize that we are not killing them.
    You do realize that this kid in VT was a US Citizen, right? Therefore one can say our own killed our own.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]You do realize they are killing themselves, for the most part, and not us. And that WE are not killing any of them, again, for the most part.

What makes you think the Death Toll will lower when we leave? Think 171 Civilians is alot, wait till there is no Millitary there to stop the extremists on both sides, and it'll make 171 look tame.

You act like WE, our soldiers, lined up 171 Iraqis and assassinated them. That simply isn't factual. Yes, 171 died, at the hands of their fellow countrymen, not our hands.

You want to be strident, you want to be angry, how about a little of that aimed at the folks in iraq who refuse to make peace, refuse to put down their arms, refuse to allow others of alternate faiths to live in peace, and refuse to let Iraq have Peace? I see alot of anger from you at US, but damn little aimed at THEM.[/QUOTE]

My anger is not aimed at the US soldiers or in this case the US presence in Iraq(i am against our presence). Thats not my point. My point is that Americans sometimes cant fathom how terrible it must be to live in a world of violence and chaos until something like this happens. We dont stop and think about whatits like until we are victims. Meanwhile there are innocent people in Iraq(and other parts) who see violence like this, at greater magnitude on a daily bais and most Americans are oblivious to it. We simply dont care as a society. And thats a shame.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

WHAT!!???!!! That statement, in this post, astounds me!!!
    Get Back to work Planning you next day protesting at Planned parenthood
    YA WACKO! :yes:

Don't worry, your pres. set you up good with the appointment of those 2 justices, You'll get what you want soon enough. And America will just keep going BACKWARD!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]

What makes you think the Death Toll will lower when we leave? Think 171 Civilians is alot, wait till there is no Millitary there to stop the extremists on both sides, and it'll make 171 look tame.[/QUOTE]

The same thing that makes you think the Death Toll will be higher if we leave!
    You have no basis for this, other than pure speculation.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Sorry, but you have to be born to be considered an American.
    If you are honestly going to compare the life of a 21 yo to an unborn 12 week old fetus then you are truly insane.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU... Well said.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]The same thing that makes you think the Death Toll will be higher if we leave!
    You have no basis for this, other than pure speculation.[/QUOTE]

Do you actually just answer my post three seperate times Ken? :eek:

Damn bro, sorry for getting under your skin, eh. :P

And the basis of this specific opinion (and yes, it IS opinion, I won't lie) is that the US Millitary IS able to stop at least some of the sectarian violence, and IS a force for deterrance, even if it's only on a small scale. And of course, US involvement means we'd never ok wholesale slaughter on any level.

When we leave....no deterrance, no stopping of any attacks, and no limit of Iraqi Govt. or Millitary from just slaugtering their religious opposite.

You're right, it is an opinion, but I think one based on pretty solid logic. Even if our forces are doing a bad job, they are still doing a job. Without them, the limiting factors are gone, and violence between two groups (three even) who desise each other should, logicly, be worse.

If you disagree, just tell me why. I'm interested as to your reasons for thinking the violence (and death toll) would go down when we are gone.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Yes I realize that we are not killing them.
    You do realize that this kid in VT was a US Citizen, right? Therefore one can say our own killed our own.[/QUOTE]
    No he wasn't.
    He was a legal resident alien.