Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil Hughes To Start Thursday!

All League

Phil Hughes To Start Thursday!

Hell yeah! I can't ****ing wait! Toronto has a good lineup though. He might not pitch great in his first start, but at least he's playing. Towers is starting as well, so at least he'll get run support.
    Last edited by rep; 04-23-2007 at 07:20 PM.

Banned
    Source? Jeff Karstens is scheduled for Thursday.

Hall Of Fame
    Karstens bumped to Friday. as per pregame show on YES

Let's see what the kid can do. He had a dominant start vs Syracuse this past week

Banned
    Alright. Looking forward to Thursday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    Hughes to pitch for Yankees Thursday
    April 23, 2007

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- A day after getting swept by the Boston Red Sox, the New York Yankees said Monday they plan on having top pitching prospect Phil Hughes make his major league debut Thursday against Toronto.

Yankees manager Joe Torre didn't rule out that the 20-year-old right-hander, taken in the first round of the 2004 amateur draft, might make more than one start.
    "If we're comfortable and we sense he's comfortable, we'll see what we do," Torre said before the Yankees played Tampa Bay.

Hughes is 2-1 with a 3.94 ERA in three starts this season at Triple-A Scranton, and he pitched six shutout innings last Wednesday at Syracuse, allowing two hits, striking out 10 and walking none.

In Sunday's 7-6 loss at Boston, Chase Wright made only his second big league start and became only the second major league pitcher to allow homers to four consecutive batters. Before last week, Wright had not pitched above Double-A. New York is scrambling to cope with injuries to its starting rotation. Chien-Ming Wang is scheduled to come off the disabled list Tuesday following a hamstring injury, but Mike Mussina (hamstring) and Carl Pavano (forearm) remain sidelined.

I am very exited for this.

Banned
    From what I have read he hasn't pitched more then 5 innings in like 2 years. Hopefully he is ready to go the distance.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-23-2007 at 07:52 PM.

All Pro
    looking forward to thursday too!

If nothing less, he'll get his feet wet in the bigs. I mean, after all, Bonderman, Hamels, and Felix hernandez didn't dominate right away it took them a little time to get the ball rolling. IMO, it's a bit earlier than i would have liked, but with the injuries to our pitching staff it isn't shocking in the least.

I think we all hope that Chase wright, Rasner, and Karstens have good outings but they have been killing our bullpen. heck, Wright got a call-up before Hughes the first time before because we wanted to keep Hughes down, but after last night, we probably wanted another option. I really hoped Sanchez would have been able to step up and remained healthy but that's out of question now anyways.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    From what I have read he hasn't pitched for then 5 innings in like 2 years. Hopefully he is ready to go the distance.
    I doubt it. Even though he's up, he's probably going to be on a very strict pitch count.

All League
    Dumb move. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolJet
    Dumb move. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
    Personally, i don't like it either. It's overreacting to the sweep from Boston. I'm pretty sure the boss had something to do with it. But at the same time, this probably isn't a permanent thing where he's up for the duration of the season. He's probably here for one or two starts and will be sent down when the rest of our rotation gets back from the walking wounded. If nothing more, he'll get his feet wet in the bigs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason
    I doubt it. Even though he's up, he's probably going to be on a very strict pitch count.
    So Torre will have to go to the bullpen in the 5th inning?

Wonder if he knows how.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx
    So Torre will have to go to the bullpen in the 5th inning?

Wonder if he knows how.
    Honest to God, Torre better be the best damn personality manager, because he sure as hell isn't managing the bullpen and the game very well. Sure, let's burn Scott Proctor last year and give the ineffective Kyle Farnsworth days off for back-to-back games.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason
    Personally, i don't like it either. It's overreacting to the sweep from Boston. I'm pretty sure the boss had something to do with it. But at the same time, this probably isn't a permanent thing where he's up for the duration of the season. He's probably here for one or two starts and will be sent down when the rest of our rotation gets back from the walking wounded. If nothing more, he'll get his feet wet in the bigs.

We can only hope its for 2 starts and no more.

All Pro
    I agree in the sense that he needs to build up his arm strength. Liriano is exhibit A, shutting down Papelbon was exhibit B from last year of pitchers that broke down from not easing it in.

Banned

So you are saying if this kid is lights out for 2 starts they will send him back down? I don't think soo.

All League
    So you are saying if this kid is lights out for 2 starts they will send him back down? I don't think soo.
    They prob wont. But they prob should. He's on a 180-190 inning limit this year I believe.

All Pro
    If he's lights out then the temptation is definitely there and he might stick around. I'm just expressing my concern with the fact that he hasn't had enough innings built-up for his arm.
    If he gets hit around a little it's not the end of the world either. I hear that he has a great make-up and is mature, it shouldn't really effect him too much. But what he needs to work on is having even finer control on his breaking pitch and change-up. He has good stuff and good control, but doesn't quite have complete command of his curve and change-up. But maybe that was just spring training.

Banned
    They prob wont. But they prob should. He's on a 180-190 inning limit this year I believe.
    Hopefully Mr. Torre knows that.

All Pro
    I thought it was more like 150.