Thread: Signs of Intelligence?

Signs of Intelligence?

[QUOTE]One of the things that's got to be going through a lot of peoples' minds now is how one man with two handguns, that he had to reload time and time again, could go from classroom to classroom on the Virginia Tech campus without being stopped. Much of the answer can be found in policies put in place by the university itself.

Virginia, like 39 other states, allows citizens with training and legal permits to carry concealed weapons. That means that Virginians regularly sit in movie theaters and eat in restaurants among armed citizens. They walk, joke, and rub shoulders everyday with people who responsibly carry firearms and are far safer than they would be in San Francisco, Oakland, Detroit, Chicago, New York City, or Washington, D.C., where such permits are difficult or impossible to obtain.
    (snip)
    The logic behind this attitude baffles me, but I suspect it has to do with a basic difference in worldviews. Some people think that power should exist only at the top, and everybody else should rely on "the authorities" for protection.

Despite such attitudes, average Americans have always made up the front line against crime. Through programs like Neighborhood Watch and Amber Alert, we are stopping and catching criminals daily. Normal people tackled "shoe bomber" Richard Reid as he was trying to blow up an airliner. It was a truck driver who found the D.C. snipers. Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that civilians use firearms to prevent at least a half million crimes annually.
    (snip)
    Whenever I've seen one of those "Gun-free Zone" signs, especially outside of a school filled with our youngest and most vulnerable citizens, I've always wondered exactly who these signs are directed at. Obviously, they don't mean much to the sort of man who murdered 32 people just a few days ago.
    [/QUOTE]

[url=http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OTIwYzMyZmQ1YzQ1MDNmZTMyYzQ1Y2U3YTU4YzNmNGE] more [/url]

Free yard sign for anti-gun "pinheads"

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/DocDoom777/Guns/NoGunsSign.gif[/IMG]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    The problem is one of logic.

It is illogical to believe that someone willing to commit a crime with a gun (robbery, murder, etc) is going to be put off because ownership or posession of that gun is also a crime.

In other words, what makes anyone think a perpetrator of 32 Murders (which would equate to 32 Life Sentences if he didn't kill himself) would have had much concern about buying or posessing an illegal gun (increase gun control to it's maximum and still the worst crime is ownership or posession of an illegal gun, vastly less than 32 counts of premeditated murder).

And worse, given what I keep hearing from the Political talking heads and radio shows, it appears we are letting the actions of one lone nutbar change our entire society and the freedoms the rest of us enjoy......just take a gander at the new powers the FCC is requesting when it comes to their control over ALL "entertainemnt media" currently in the legislative pipeline.

[QUOTE=Warfish]
    And worse, given what I keep hearing from the Political talking heads and radio shows, it appears we are letting the actions of one lone nutbar change our entire society and the freedoms the rest of us enjoy...[/QUOTE]

the right to bear arms is actually a central tenet of the pro-death platform I am creating! more guns, more death it's really that simple!

question how are we defining 'our entire society' ??

there are many successful countries in the world who limit guns and their people aren't necessarily oppressed by crime.

try to break an entering into a Japanese house you might get a throwing knife to the throat for your troubles.

not advocating the limitiation of guns just presenting the contra case.

by the way while the hill dwellers of va consider the pros and cons, people are getting slaughtered in Murderdelphia every day with handguns.

guess what certain mayoral candidates proposing to counteract the violence? open search and seizure at any time. Rudy style justice. my theory why gun violence is so high? NYC became disney world in the early part of the decade you can't rent a 1 bedroom in the so bronx for less than 4 figures. the crime goes down in 1 city it goes up in all the rest, it's molehill approach to criminality.

my point is if the gov't isn't getting you on the front end they will get you on the back end with civil liberties.
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-24-2007 at 11:17 AM.

[QUOTE=Warfish]The problem is one of logic.

It is illogical to believe that someone willing to commit a crime with a gun (robbery, murder, etc) is going to be put off because ownership or posession of that gun is also a crime.

In other words, what makes anyone think a perpetrator of 32 Murders (which would equate to 32 Life Sentences if he didn't kill himself) would have had much concern about buying or posessing an illegal gun (increase gun control to it's maximum and still the worst crime is ownership or posession of an illegal gun, vastly less than 32 counts of premeditated murder).

And worse, given what I keep hearing from the Political talking heads and radio shows, it appears we are letting the actions of one lone nutbar change our entire society and the freedoms the rest of us enjoy......just take a gander at the new powers the FCC is requesting when it comes to their control over ALL "entertainemnt media" currently in the legislative pipeline.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, where is the logic! If we stand by and let politicians legislate our freedoms away we will all be screwed. But so far as the student at VT is concerned logically he should have never gotten his hans on a gun. He was a tad nuts!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    You completely and utterly missed my point Bit. I support stronger gun control, depending on the form it takes (like harder qualifying criteria/limtations, longer wait periods, deeper background checks, longer purchase limits between purchases, armmunation limitations, gun type limitations, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.)

As long as guns (especially long-guns like hunting rifles and shotguns) remain legal for your average law-abiding American Citizen to buy and posess, then no worries.

Is THAT clear enough for you Bit? If not, I'm not sure there is much more I can do for you on that issue.

No, my point is the new proposed FCC power expansion, from over-air TV to "All Entertainemnt Media". That means, if passed, the FCC could limt speech and limit access to Music, Cable TV, Video Games, Movies, etc, etc, etc.

I do not need my Govt. doing that. When they do that, it's no longer freedom, it's facism. And we, the people, sure as hell better not stand for it.

Hall Of Fame
    Why don't the companies that make the guns just show us their receipts?

If X amount of people "legally" bought X amount of guns..then your receipts should reflect that.

If you sold MORE guns than were purchased legally, then you must be selling them illegally, huh?

It's really very simple.

[QUOTE=bitonti]the right to bear arms is actually a central tenet of the pro-death platform I am creating! more guns, more death it's really that simple!

question how are we defining 'our entire society' ??

there are many successful countries in the world who limit guns and their people aren't necessarily oppressed by crime.

try to break an entering into a Japanese house you might get a throwing knife to the throat for your troubles.

not advocating the limitiation of guns just presenting the contra case.

by the way while the hill dwellers of va consider the pros and cons, people are getting slaughtered in Murderdelphia every day with handguns.

guess what certain mayoral candidates proposing to counteract the violence? open search and seizure at any time. Rudy style justice. my theory why gun violence is so high? NYC became disney world in the early part of the decade you can't rent a 1 bedroom in the so bronx for less than 4 figures. the crime goes down in 1 city it goes up in all the rest, it's molehill approach to criminality.

my point is if the gov't isn't getting you on the front end they will get you on the back end with civil liberties.[/QUOTE]

More guns DO NOT EQUAL more death. thats assinine to think that. Our right to bear Arms stems from our Patriotic right to be a FREE COUNTRY. its not so people have to right to own a gun to shoot others, its so that no other country takes us over or criminal takes your property or threatens your well being. You talk about Japan not having gun problems, READ THE NEWS YOU SCHMUCK, you would have seen that the Mayor of Nagasaki was shot to death this past week. Gun deaths still happen in other countries. Granted its not as much as the US because we give our citizens the right to bear arms, which is probably the greatest right we have next to freedom of speech. if we didnt have the right to bear arms you'd be up to your neck in Fish & chips during tea time while you *****ed about the queen mum...and then we'd be run by the Nazis.
    Theres reasons why other countries don't have gun rights and its because they know that their citizens are incapable of controlling themselves. American's i think are more open to the idea of Independence so MOST OF US can function normally with that right and be responsible. Don't let your mind be swayed by Far-left ideals of a utopian society where everyone lives in harmony with fluffy bunnies and rainbows. and don't let yourself be governed by tight wadded Reds with think they know whats best for you. Think for yourself.
    :yes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]Why don't the companies that make the guns just show us their receipts?

If X amount of people "legally" bought X amount of guns..then your receipts should reflect that.

If you sold MORE guns than were purchased legally, then you must be selling them illegally, huh?

It's really very simple.[/QUOTE]

Uh, Plumber? Gun MAKERS don;t sell guns to People. They sell them to Retailers/Dealers who turn around and sell them to People. Just like most retail items.

If you checked Smith & Wessons "receipts", I am sure they'd be very much in line (and I am pretty sure the Govt. DOES check them actually).

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan]Why don't the companies that make the guns just show us their receipts?

Uh, you might want to rethink that PK! Thousands of guns are sold by private individuals to other private individuals. I've owned several guns during my life--none bought from a retail store. I've bought and sold several guns including handguns that way. I assume all were bought "legally" originally!

[QUOTE=PMCRW]Think for yourself.
    :yes:[/QUOTE]

im creating the pro death platform that's about as original as i can get

we are:

pro war
    pro abortion
    pro euthenasia
    pro death penalty
    pro handguns
    pro atomic bombs
    pro heart disease
    pro Aids
    pro Cancer
    pro car accident
    anti-motorcycle helmets

our motto is gonna be 'cull the herd'

wanna join?

You shouldn't need a gun in this country because according you and every other Rightwing Bush lover there is barely any unemployment in the U.S. Why would people with great U.S. jobs steal from other people? They steal because they need or want things they can't afford. There must be a burglary conspiracy in this country with only a few hundred criminals committing all this crime you need a gun to protect yourself from right?

Why do you need to protect yourself here in the U.S. if we are in Iraq, where all of the terrorists are fighting us, and there is no unemployment issues here?

[QUOTE=asuusa][url=http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OTIwYzMyZmQ1YzQ1MDNmZTMyYzQ1Y2U3YTU4YzNmNGE] more [/url]

Free yard sign for anti-gun "pinheads"

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/DocDoom777/Guns/NoGunsSign.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726]You shouldn't need a gun in this country because according you and every other Rightwing Bush lover there is barely any unemployment in the U.S. Why would people with great U.S. jobs steal from other people? They steal because they need or want things they can't afford.
    [/QUOTE]

You're right--there was hardly any crime during the great Clintoon economy b/c everyone had a good paying job! It's just since October '01 that things headed for "hell in a handbasket!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This article is about what is happening right now.

The economy is the best ever right? So why is there crime? There are 12 million more jobs since '01, so what's the problem?

[QUOTE=asuusa]You're right--there was hardly any crime during the great Clintoon economy b/c everyone had a good paying job! It's just since October '01 that things headed for "hell in a handbasket!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Smuggling never happens, either

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=cr726]You shouldn't need a gun in this country because according you and every other Rightwing Bush lover there is barely any unemployment in the U.S. Why would people with great U.S. jobs steal from other people? They steal because they need or want things they can't afford. There must be a burglary conspiracy in this country with only a few hundred criminals committing all this crime you need a gun to protect yourself from right? [/QUOTE]

Please CR...please......tell me you are not that Naive. Please?

No I am not naive, but I am not the one who is always posting that the U.S. has the lowest unemployment rate in the industrial world. Or that all these new jobs being created are great jobs and families can live off the salaries of these new jobs. If you read every new thread about all of the new jobs and money being made the U.S. should be a utopia.

If the general public knew what was happening with all local, state and federal law enforcement budgets you wouldn't believe it.

[QUOTE=Warfish]Please CR...please......tell me you are not that Naive. Please?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726]No I am not naive, but I am not the one who is always posting that the U.S. has the lowest unemployment rate in the industrial world. Or that all these new jobs being created are great jobs and families can live off the salaries of these new jobs. If you read every new thread about all of the new jobs and money being made the U.S. should be a utopia.

[/QUOTE]

Let's see, we were #1 in GPD in 2004 with $11.7 Trillion! 2nd place was $4.6 trillion--61% less than ours, so somebody must be working here!