Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Univ. Of Wisconsin

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Univ. Of Wisconsin

a women from the Admissions Office at the U of W has stated that race will be included in the admissions prerequisites and she was quoted as saying " A Sea Of White People is a Very SCARY Site"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Note if you look at incoming freshman classes for top schools it's a rainbow coalition. if you go to a college that is all anything, chances are it isn't a top tier school. diversity is part of a total college experience, whether you believe it or not, the US News and World Report rankings take factors such as that into context.

we can take these woman's words out of context but the truth is, from where she is sitting and what she is trying to accomplish, having an all white student body would be a detriment (as would having an all black student body)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan]a women from the Admissions Office at the U of W has stated that race will be included in the admissions prerequisites and she was quoted as saying " A Sea Of White People is a Very SCARY Site"[/QUOTE]

Where'd you see this?

I'm a 1st year African-American MBA student at the UW program, so I have a pretty good understanding of the "policies and numbers" within the School of Business at least.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you TB. I wish you the very best. I heard it on the radio. I will try to document it. BTW I grew up in the Bronx. How do you like Wisconsin?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan]Good for you TB. I wish you the very best. I heard it on the radio. I will try to document it. BTW I grew up in the Bronx. How do you like Wisconsin?[/QUOTE]

Love it...Madison is a terrific place to live. I had the option to attend several other top ranked programs, but there was something about Madison that made it feel like home. I grew up in the South, South Bronx...aka Harlem.

I know the minority population at UW-Madison seems a little bit less than average when compared to other state Universities. The main factor, I'm sure. is the fact that there's a small population AA's, Latino's, and Native American's residing in the state.

That being said, I wonder if the admissions director you heard represented the UW system as a whole, or one of the smaller branchs (UW-Stout, UW-Lacrosse, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if those smaller branchs were looking to grow the minority applicant pool.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up in so called N. Bronx and attended De Witt Clinton HS. The last time I was back there the city had put a fence up around the school. I was shocked and felt bad for the young kids to have to attend a place of learning that looked more like a prison. I hope everything works out for you!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    UW-Madison is considered the Holy Grail for my field.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Class of 2002 - greatest 4 years of my life.

Wisconsin is not a very diverse school because around 80% of undergrads are either from wisconsin or minnesota, and those two states are not the most diverse.

This would be great news for our basketball team, who only seems to recruit big white stiffs. :whipper: (sarcasm)

In all seriousness though, I think diversity is overrated. Even if the school became more diverse, people hang out amongst their own. In my four years there, we hung out with a lot of the athletes when we had fraternity parites and we used to :smokin: them out. They were great people, but unfortunately, I wouldnt rush their fraternity nor would they rush ours. Ron Dayne loved to party. The PC police makes this worse because now a days everyone is afraid to offend anyone so rather than making efforts, people prefer to avoid the issue in its entirety, and that is really sad.

Hey, TerryBradway, where is the best palce to grab a burger nowadays? When I was there, it was Dotty's dumpling dowry, but it got closed down (heard it may have reopened?) State street brats is decent on monday nights (but one, get one free). Glad to hear you are enjoying your time there. Its an incredible place.
    Last edited by mallamalla; 04-27-2007 at 04:27 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richie Cunninghamm went to the University of Wisconsin. He used to wear a red and white varsity jacket with a big 'W' on it. Journalism major.

Arthur Fonzarelli - aka 'Fonzie' went to the school of hard knocks and became an auto mechanic. He had counsins in nearby Waukesha that had a big Christmas tree every year - even bigger than the Cunninghams. Fonzie never went to visit them on Christmas, though.

Rocky Baruffi couldn't take Milwaukee anymore and went in the Marines to become a man. Ralph Malph almost followed him.