Thread: O-line remains a big problem

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

O-line remains a big problem

I'm psyched to have Revis and Harris on board. Our defense got much better today. But losing that 3rd round pick stung! Our o-line on the right side is lacking serious depth, and Kendall is also nearing retirement. I'm hoping that we get some value for one of the players we are trying to trade, but I'm not confident right now. We will be complaining about the o-line all year. I don't see us landing anything besides a 5th or lower for McCareins or Barton (just being realistic). If it doesn't happen in the draft, then roster cuts are our only hope.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of our picks tomorrow will be O-Line. Maybe sooner if we make a player trade.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=phillyjet]I'm psyched to have Revis and Harris on board. Our defense got much better today. But losing that 3rd round pick stung! Our o-line on the right side is lacking serious depth, and Kendall is also nearing retirement. I'm hoping that we get some value for one of the players we are trying to trade, but I'm not confident right now. We will be complaining about the o-line all year.[/QUOTE]
    Well said! The Jets need a lot more than Thomas Jones to improve their running game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I was hoping we would trade up to get Blalock before he came off the board. He would have been a great fit for us.

Saying that, I have no complaints with the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our line will be better next year simply due to the fact that our C and LT have a year of NFL experience and training camps under their belts.

Would I like to have seen some depth picks on the OL. Yeah, absolutely, but you certainly can get a quality o-lineman for depth purposes on day 2.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can get some quality starters on day 2, i hate to say it but look at the pats for example, they have gotten most of there lineman on day 2 and i belive they got dan koppen in round 6

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RichardTodd27]Well said! The Jets need a lot more than Thomas Jones to improve their running game.[/QUOTE]

Everyone says an improved O-Line will make TJ better -- which is true -- but don't forget that TJ will also make the O-Line better!!

Compare him to what we threw out there last year -- we HAVE to improve!!

Obviously we're not going the "Super-Unit" route. But I'm not sure our improvements HAD to come from high draft picks either. Use one tomorrow, bring in UDFA, or even look at roster cuts -- we can STILL fill our need, and have a MUCH improved defense to boot!! :yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't fix everything at once. Today we took huge steps to converting to the 3-4 defense. Two high impact starters, that is awesome.

Kendall and Moore are better than average and can last another year. Moore will probably stick beyond next yr.

We will sign Stacey Andrews from the Bengals next yr to be RT when he is an unrestructed FA, and draft a guard.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is also a question of depth. Besides losing Curtis Martin, the jets were pretty injury-free last year. Adrian Jones, Wade Smith, Matt McChesney, Na'Shaun Goddard (he still with us?)...you confident if someone goes down with an injury? Anthony Clement is our starting right tackle... serviceable but on the downside of his career.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=phillyjet]this is also a question of depth. Besides losing Curtis Martin, the jets were pretty injury-free last year. Adrian Jones, Wade Smith, Matt McChesney, Na'Shaun Goddard (he still with us?)...you confident if someone goes down with an injury? Anthony Clement is our starting right tackle... serviceable but on the downside of his career.[/QUOTE]

You're more worried about the O-Line depth than CB depth?? :confused:

Not only did we get a top-notch CB, it pushes everyone else down the depth chart, where most of those guys belong.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    not at all, loved the first couple of picks. No doubt about it. But, we're feeling the effects of the mistake with the Barlow pick right now. Can't question the value of the 2nd round pick we fleeced from Washington right now. Got us Thomas Jones and Darelle Revis as far as I'm concerned. But, we have more holes than a 2-player draft.