Thread: What we learned today...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

What we learned today...

All this talk of people saying how much Tangini values trading down and collecting picks, i think we learned there style is that they place very high value on going and getting the specific guys they want. Moved up for Revis, Moved up for Harris, Last year they got Clemens.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Different stategies for different draft years. Thats one sign of a good front office. Never predictable, never stagnant.

In this case, it's supposed to be a weak draft. Why stockpile picks or use them on guys that may or may not make the roster?

I'd give Tangini a B at worst for the 1st day. If harris turns out to be "Boar Hunter #2"? Then I'd be concerned. IMHO, that isn't likely. He immediately becomes the run-stuffer the Jets are looking for, allowing Vilma to pursue the ball.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    What we learned today is that Mangini will do whatever is necessary to improve this team.

It doesn't matter if their stockpiling picks or trading up.

Their going to do what is right for this team to improve and approach the next level.

Our defense has been dramatically improved this offseason.

We added Coleman and Bowens during free agency then picked up Revis and Harris today.

I love the direction we're heading in. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable]What we learned today is that Mangini will do whatever is necessary to improve this team.

It doesn't matter if their stockpiling picks or trading up.

Their going to do what is right for this team to improve and approach the next level.

Our defense has been dramatically improved this offseason.

We added Coleman and Bowens during free agency then picked up Revis and Harris today.

I love the direction we're heading in. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Two good players....now I hope we can do more today or tomorrow with player trades...and get more picks to address the OL...there are still some out there that I think could help..Beekman for starters...he can play both C and G..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tailgater]In this case, it's supposed to be a weak draft. Why stockpile picks or use them on guys that may or may not make the roster? [/QUOTE]

GREAT point. Everyone knew we needed CB and LB, but NO ONE expected players of this caliber. So we sacrifice QUANTITY of players, but at least we increase our chances of getting PLAYMAKERS in positions of need.

I posted this in another thread, but it's NOT just about this year. Tangini is following a long-range plan -- and apparently they see these guys as a part of that plan. That's good enough for me!! :yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    we learned today that this is the worst draft depth wise in 2 decades pickings are slim and most teams like the Jets will trade up to get the best players and get rid of having multiple picks. In a draft this bad you want to have as few picks as possible. In fact if this was Madden franchise mode I would fast forward just to get done with this draft after #20 the talent isnt good at all. in fact most of these plyers after #20 would be 2nd day draft picks in last years draft.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I learned that the team I root for has a GM and coach that are opportunistic, and aside from drafting Anthony Schlegal, Jason Pociask and Titus Adams... have been doing an incredible job acquiring players to make the Jets not only competitive, but respected around the league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Integrity28]I learned that the team I root for has a GM and coach that are opportunistic, and aside from drafting Anthony Schlegal, Jason Pociask and Titus Adams... have been doing an incredible job acquiring players to make the Jets not only competitive, but respected around the league.[/QUOTE]

Every GM makes 'mistakes'. In most cases, they're 'reaching' too much, based on a zilloin mocks. If the boar hunter works out? BRILLIANT! If not, there's always next year.

BB is famous for taking chances in the 2nd round. It's been boom or bust, mostly bust. Branch? Great. Bethel? Bust. Jackson? Not looking good so far, but i'll give him time.

Tangini went for the sure thing in the 1st, and the best guy in the draft for what their scheme calls for at ILB. He sounds like another Ted Johnson to me, nmot a bad thing at all...pre-concussions that is.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we learned a lot from not only today but the trade to TJ a few weeks ago. Last year we stocked up on players, 10 picks, trying to rebuild and most of them played very well. By trading away picks to move up and acquire TJ, I fell like Tangini thinks we are not that far away. If we were, we would keep all our picks and try to stockpile again. Instead, they are able to be agressive and go after specific players at specifics spots.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought you were going to say that we learned how stupid it is to make comments based on one draft.

Because anyone who said that did it off one draft.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shodan9999]Two good players....now I hope we can do more today or tomorrow with player trades...and get more picks to address the OL...there are still some out there that I think could help..Beekman for starters...he can play both C and G..[/QUOTE]

Right on Sho. I think we ended up with 2 very-good players, and if Beekman is there it would be a steal!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Primato305]I think we learned a lot from not only today but the trade to TJ a few weeks ago. Last year we stocked up on players, 10 picks, trying to rebuild and most of them played very well. By trading away picks to move up and acquire TJ, I fell like Tangini thinks we are not that far away. If we were, we would keep all our picks and try to stockpile again. Instead, they are able to be agressive and go after specific players at specifics spots.[/QUOTE]

Great points. When you think about it, three of our biggest needs are to improve the running game (ala Jones), improve the pass defense (ala Revis) improve against the run (ala Harris). Now if we can land a G like Beekman, I have to think we have addressed some significant needs by going after the playmakers in their respective positions!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we learned that Mangini is happy with the OL prospects on the team already. Blanton and Goddard may play more next season.

I'd say Schotty seems conent with Baker because we didn't try to replace him. Look for him being more part of the offense next year.

Mangini didn't seem to think much of the D Line prospects since we traded away our picks in the mid rounds where we could have taken one or two.

We learned Alan Branch was not the answer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wanna know what we learned today.We learned that we can stop with with the Jets are following the Patriots plan to builda champion BS.
    Today,we had 54 1st day picks witha great opportunity to add another 1 or 2 1st day picks and possibly another high pick in ythe 2008 draft.We nded up with 2 picks in the 1st day out of the 4 picks we had,and have no picks for 2008 as a result of today's transaction and we also lost additional 2nd day picks which we didn't have to begin with.

Doesn't matter thou,because thus regime can't do anything wrong in the eyes of some Jet fans.

Funny how the Patriots managed to make moves that end up with yet 2 more 1st day picks in 2008.