Thread: Quality vs. Quantity - and greetings from Down Under

Hall Of Fame

Quality vs. Quantity - and greetings from Down Under

Greetings everybody. I am loving every second of being in Australia, even at the expense of missing the draft.

So what do I see when I finally get to check the boards to see who we drafted? I see the Jets getting 2 studs in positions of need. The uproar from the general populace of Jets fans... we only have 2 day 2 picks.

I would much rather walk away from ANY draft with 2 high quality players than an abundance of picks that may or may not work out. The draft is a crap shoot, and I'd rather put my eggs in 2 stud baskets than in 5 mediocre hit and misses.

We always over-value the true worth of a draft pick. The fact of the matter is that if either of these players come close to reaching what we all think they could be... we had one hell of a draft.

Finally a voice of reason! We just landed 2 starters on defense, both of which positions of need. Bottom line: We don't get those 2 players without trading up. We have nothing to complain about.

I'll take 2 filet mignon's over 5 burgers anytime. :)

All League
    If you've got 5 eggs in your basket, there's a chance one or two might be rotten you still end up with 3 good eggs. If you've only got two eggs in your basket to start with, keep your fingers crossed they are both good.

Like you said the NFL draft is a crap shoot...Revis and Harris are no guarantees either...we all know that. Nothing is a given.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead]If you've got 5 eggs in your basket, there's a chance one or two might be rotten you still end up with 3 good eggs. If you've only got two eggs in your basket to start with, keep your fingers crossed they are both good.

Like you said the NFL draft is a crap shoot...Revis and Harris are no guarantees either...we all know that. Nothing is a given.[/QUOTE]

How would you rate the draft if we walked away with a shut down corner who returns punts AND a run stuffing LB?

I like the mentality behind this draft.

[QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead]If you've got 5 eggs in your basket, there's a chance one or two might be rotten you still end up with 3 good eggs. If you've only got two eggs in your basket to start with, keep your fingers crossed they are both good.

Like you said the NFL draft is a crap shoot...Revis and Harris are no guarantees either...we all know that. Nothing is a given.[/QUOTE]

All along we've heard what a WEAK draft it was this year. Wouldn't that make it even more vital to grab QUALITY when you think you see it?

All League
    [QUOTE=BergenJet]How would you rate the draft if we walked away with a shut down corner who returns punts AND a run stuffing LB?

I like the mentality behind this draft.[/QUOTE]
    I can't answer that until the end of next season, when we see these guy's play in the NFL. You may be right, I hope so..they are definately good players that we got there, I said in an earlier thread that we went for quality over quantity, but the draft is always a 'wait and see'. We may have been just as happy with staying at #25 and getting a starter there too and not giving up a pick in the process. Wait and see.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead]I can't answer that until the end of next season, when we see these guy's play in the NFL. You may be right, I hope so..they are definately good players that we got there, I said in an earlier thread that we went for quality over quantity, but the draft is always a 'wait and see'. We may have been just as happy with staying at #25 and getting a starter there too and not giving up a pick in the process. Wait and see.[/QUOTE]

At this point in time you can argue either way. I am all for walking away from day 1 with 2 potential impact starters at positions of need.

If you have a shut down corner, he won't be returning punts. We still have 2 picks left. Hopefully we can pull off one more additional pick with a player trade. While our first two picks look good who knows. Blair Thomas was supposed to be can't miss. These guys will need to make a immediate impact. Look at last year. Ferguson, Mangold, Smith, and Washington all had an impact. These two guys have to start to make these trades look good.

I'd rather have 2 eggs from healthy chickens than 5 from weak ones.

keep the faith jets fans

we signed some valuable free agents who will start.plus we drafted two future all-pros in revis and harris.tannenbaum wants to compete this year.it's very obvious what he has in mind.I too am disappointed with the trading of draft choices.but my motto is to win now,not next year.we still have two months till june cut down time.tanny and the staff are a lot smarter then we are.so keep the faith.