Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Western hair styles have been banned in Iran

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Western hair styles have been banned in Iran

[QUOTE]Barbers warned against Western haircuts
    Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:38AM EDT

By Fredrik Dahl

TEHRAN (Reuters Life!) - Iranian police have warned barbers against offering Western-style hair cuts or plucking the eyebrows of their male customers, Iranian media said on Sunday.

The report by a reformist daily, later confirmed by an Iranian news agency, appeared to be another sign of the authorities cracking down on clothing and other fashion deemed to be against Islamic values.

"Western hair styles ... have been banned," the newspaper Etemad said in a frontpage headline.

It came a week after police launched a crackdown against the growing numbers of young women testing the limits of the law with shorter, brighter and skimpier clothing ahead of the summer months.

Under Iran's Islamic Sharia law, imposed after the 1979 revolution, women are obliged to cover their hair and wear long, loose-fitting clothes to disguise their figures.

Violators can receive lashes, fines and imprisonment.

The student news agency ISNA quoted a police statement as saying: "In an official order to barber shops, they have been warned to avoid using Western hair styles and doing men's eyebrows."

Iranian young men have in recent years started paying more attention to the way they look and dress, especially in affluent parts of the capital Tehran. Spiked up hair, by using gel, is known as the Khorusi (Rooster) style and some also use make-up.

Several hairdressers for men in Tehran offer cuts in the style of Hollywood movie stars and other Western celebrities. Clients can also have their eyebrows plucked.

The head of the barbers' union, Mohammad Eftekharifard, said police had instructed it to "exercise specific regulations in barber shops that work under its supervision."

Barbers who do not follow these rules might be closed down for a month and even lose their permits to operate, Etemad quoted him as saying.

"Currently some barber shops apply make-up and use (hair) styles that are in line with those in European countries and America," Eftekharifard said.

He added: "An official order has been sent to the union ... not to apply make-up on men's faces (or) do eyebrows ... and hence the barbers are not allowed to do these things."

Since hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won the presidency in 2005 promising a return to the values of the revolution, hardliners have pressed for tighter controls on what they consider immoral behavior.[/QUOTE]

Nice place to live, that Iran. I wonder if that banning includes the ever-popular mullet.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let Freedom Ring.......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok ok here's what we should do

invade Iran and impose our way of life

that should solve everyone's problems.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]ok ok here's what we should do

invade Iran and impose our way of life

that should solve everyone's problems.[/QUOTE]

I knew that was coming, saw it from a mile away.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny thing, despite this article, women in Iran still enjoy more freedoms than in any other middle east nation (except Turkey) today.

Why would anyone write this article especially when our "friends" in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf nations treat their women 1000x worse? Hell at least in Iran women are allowed to walk alone in public, get drivers licenses and attend universities....thing our "friends" dont allow there women to do.

Nahh! This is not just a cheap attempt at more saber rattling :rolleyes:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Funny thing, despite this article, women in Iran still enjoy more freedoms than in any other middle east nation (except Turkey) today.

Why would anyone write this article especially when our "friends" in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf nations treat their women 1000x worse? Hell at least in Iran women are allowed to walk alone in public, get drivers licenses and attend universities....thing our "friends" dont allow there women to do.

Nahh! This is not just a cheap attempt at more saber rattling :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

What cheap attempt at saber rattling? I thought it was interesting that they are so strict with something as simple as a haircut because they don't want any Western influence in their lives. I mean, it's just a haircut, and like you said, they are relatively liberal with women's rights. It really doesn't make any sense to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how true this article is.
    The last article the NY Post published on its front page re how Iran was forcing non-muslims to wear clothing that identifies them as such was proven to be BS. Most respectable papers retracted that article and apologised for publishing those lies. Not the post. Who wrote that article? Oh yeah , it was Amir Taheri of the Benador Associates (a neo-con group backing Dubya). I wonder what Frederik Dahl's motivation was for writing this article? Why hasent he written on the abuses the Saudi monarchy imposes on its women?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]What cheap attempt at saber rattling? I thought it was interesting that they are so strict with something as simple as a haircut because they don't want any Western influence in their lives. I mean, it's just a haircut, and like you said, they are relatively liberal with women's rights. It really doesn't make any sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Maybe cause this story is BS??

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Maybe cause this story is BS??[/QUOTE]

How do you know it's BS? That's pure speculation on your part.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]I wonder how true this article is.
    The last article the NY Post published on its front page re how Iran was forcing non-muslims to wear clothing that identifies them as such was proven to be BS. Most respectable papers retracted that article and apologised for publishing those lies. Not the post. Who wrote that article? Oh yeah , it was Amir Taheri of the Benador Associates (a neo-con group backing Dubya). I wonder what Frederik Dahl's motivation was for writing this article? Why hasent he written on the abuses the Saudi monarchy imposes on its women?[/QUOTE]

By the way, this isn't a NY Post article. It clearly says "Reuters" within the text.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]By the way, this isn't a NY Post article. It clearly says "Reuters" within the text.[/QUOTE]

So what?
    The article does not make sense, as you said.
    I dont believe it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]How do you know it's BS? That's pure speculation on your part.[/QUOTE]

Sure its speculation
    like its speculation when i read stories about big foot and the lochness monster and speculate that those stories are also BS :rolleyes:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]So what?
    The article does not make sense, as you said.
    I dont believe it.[/QUOTE]

Well you cited the NY Post example as if you thought this was a NY Post story.

You can believe what you want, I just posted a story I found online. Here's the link, in case you don't believe [I]me[/I].

[url]http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL2916791420070430?feedType=RSS&pageNumber=1[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Funny thing, despite this article, women in Iran still enjoy more freedoms than in any other middle east nation (except Turkey) today.

Nahh! This is not just a cheap attempt at more saber rattling :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I was in Saudi Arabia just last month. Women are allowed to "walk alone in public." As a matter of fact, they even close the malls from "bachelors" during certain times of the day so they may shop without being "observed" by "dirty minds."

They are NOT required to wear the traditional clothing. Although, it is considered "respectful" to do so. Most of the women CHOOSE to wear the traditional head coverings and garb as a sign of being devout.

Women are in fact allowed to enroll in University... albeit, womens universities.

They are not permitted to drive though... that being said, they way they drive over their, I wouldn't let any woman I know drive there, far to dangerous.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]I was in Saudi Arabia just last month. Women are allowed to "walk alone in public." As a matter of fact, they even close the malls from "bachelors" during certain times of the day so they may shop without being "observed" by "dirty minds."

They are NOT required to wear the traditional clothing. Although, it is considered "respectful" to do so. Most of the women CHOOSE to wear the traditional head coverings and garb as a sign of being devout.

Women are in fact allowed to enroll in University... albeit, womens universities.

They are not permitted to drive though... that being said, they way they drive over their, I wouldn't let any woman I know drive there, far to dangerous.[/QUOTE]

Wow, what do you know? So far, the only confirmed BS in this thread comes from Kenny. Who would have guessed that?

Way to contribute, Kenny.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]I was in Saudi Arabia just last month. Women are allowed to "walk alone in public." As a matter of fact[B], they even close the malls from "bachelors" during certain times of the day so they may shop without being "observed" by "dirty minds." [/B]

They are NOT required to wear the traditional clothing. Although, it is considered "respectful" to do so. [B](and the consequences are?) [/B] Most of the women CHOOSE to wear the traditional head coverings and garb as a sign of being devout.

Women are in fact allowed to enroll in University... albeit, womens universities[B].(now thats what
    i call freedom!)[/B]
    They are not permitted to drive though... that being said, they way they drive over their, I wouldn't let any woman I know drive there, far to dangerous.[/QUOTE]

Your kidding...right?
    They are free to walk out alone, so long as the malls are closed to men???
    They can attend universities...... but only women's universities!!

Yeah that's freedom!

Are you really going to compare the freedoms women have in Saudi Arabia to women in Iran?

Women in Iran are free to go to co-ed universities.
    Ever go to a night club in Iran? Theres plenty of Iranian women who go there as well. How about in Saudi Arabia? How about comparing divorce laws in the two countries? How about comparing spousal abuse in the two countries.

Ive been to Iran. (not saudi arabia, i admit). There is no comparison.
    Please, there is no comparison.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]Wow, what do you know? So far, the only confirmed BS in this thread comes from Kenny. Who would have guessed that?

Way to contribute, Kenny.[/QUOTE]

Wow , its amazing how you bought all that JFT wrote
    They are free to go to malls so long as the men are kept out. They can go to university but only all women schools. What a progressive nation. LOL!
    I cant believe you are now convinced that SA is more open than Iran.
    What a joke!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Wow , its amazing how you bought all that JFT wrote
    They are free to go to malls so long as the men are kept out. They can go to university but only all women schools. What a progressive nation. LOL!
    I cant believe you are now convinced that SA is more open than Iran.
    What a joke![/QUOTE]

You just freely admitted you haven't been to Saudia Arabia.

Anyway, if you can readily discredit an article published by Reuters because, simply, "It's BS", anyone can readily discredit anything you say by using the same logic.

Sorry Kenny, I don't believe a word you're saying. It's BS.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]You just freely admitted you haven't been to Saudia Arabia.

Anyway, if you can readily discredit an article published by Reuters because, simply, "It's BS", anyone can readily discredit anything you say by using the same logic.

Sorry Kenny, I don't believe a word you're saying. It's BS.[/QUOTE]

I did admit ive never been to SA.
    Look up!

I dont know if the article is BS or not. I simply said i dont believe it. You yourself admitted it made no sense, considering Iran is more socially liberal than other ME nations.

Is it true/false? Neither of us know.
    We can only state our opinion, which is what I have done.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]I did admit ive never been to SA.
    Look up!

I dont know if the article is BS or not. I simply said i dont believe it. You yourself admitted it made no sense, considering Iran is more socially liberal than other ME nations.

Is it true/false? Neither of us know.
    We can only state our opinion, which is what I have done.[/QUOTE]
    Yet you expect us to believe and take your word about unpublished medical data that has not yet gone through peer review, and state your opinion as "fact".