Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush 2nd veto ever

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Bush 2nd veto ever

I guess we can't criticize congress for not trying to end the war huh? Congress may have screwed up by voting for the war in the first place but they made up for it yesterday, both parties and both houses.

65% of people want some sort of end to the war, Congress acts upon the will of the people and Bush still believes he knows best.

We all know how this is gonna end, and it's not going to be a glorious USA victory.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to the law. Congress can defund the war, but cannot set timetables. Only the President can do that! So actually Pelosi and company are breaking the law. The democrats don't have the balls to defund the war! Nor do they have the votes to do so on its own merits(without all the pork barreling) .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan]According to the law. Congress can defund the war, but cannot set timetables. Only the President can do that! [/QUOTE]

And he SHOULD:

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is."

-- George W. Bush, 4/9/99, criticizing President Clinton for not setting a timetable for exiting Kosovo.

"I think it's also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn."

-- George W. Bush, 6/5/99

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this thing has drug on longer than WWII and it's getting worse. we can talk about the legality of this and that until the cows come home, bottom line is continuing war in Iraq good for this country?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Bush has set some sought of a timetable(written in sand so to speak). I think he must pressure the Iraq government to put their best foot forward. Bit have you been following what has happened in Saudi Arabia lately. That has me very scared.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan]Bit have you been following what has happened in Saudi Arabia lately. That has me very scared.[/QUOTE]

we screwed up the whole region MN. Saudi 'our friends' are discouraging our presense in Iraq publically for political reasons but privately they are so pro our occupation that if we leave they are threatening to break our long standing 'oil for power' deal. Why? Because Saudi = Shia, Iran = Sunni and Iraq is the battleground.

turns out we were alot safer in a world with Saddam than without him. who'd a thunk it?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]this thing has drug on longer than WWII and it's getting worse.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what does that mean exactly? What is the relevance to a simple "length of time" qualifier for a particular conflict? Clearly WWII and Iraq II are very very different in almost every way.

And I have to ask as well, how is Iraq II "worse" than WWII beyond length of time involved? Clearly casualties are vastly less for Iraq II. I would be interested in seeing a cost (with WWII $$ brought to current prices) of the two conflicts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Out of curiosity, what does that mean exactly? [/QUOTE]

it means we are losing Warfish. i can't say it any plainer than that. whatever muddled goals we had going into this thing are pretty much unreachable. the length issue is not really my problem, my problem is that we as a country are losing and not only that, but we made the world more dangerous than it was before the war.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]Saudi = Shia, Iran = Sunni and Iraq is the battleground.[/QUOTE]

You got that backwards

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]it means we are losing Warfish. i can't say it any plainer than that. whatever muddled goals we had going into this thing are pretty much unreachable. the length issue is not really my problem, my problem is that we as a country are losing and not only that, but we made the world more dangerous than it was before the war.[/QUOTE]

Bit, I don't think we are losing. Winning/Losing is not as easy to say in a conflict such as Iraq is. BTW on the Saudi thing I was referring to the huge amount of weapons and cash the Saudi's found in the desert and plans to fly planes into major Saudi oil fields. We get 20% of our oil fro SA but the Chinese and Europe get 80% of their's from SA. It would cripple Europe's and China's economies and ours eventually.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan]I believe Bush has set some sought of a timetable(written in sand so to speak).[/QUOTE]

I agree.
    His time table is wait until im out of office so it can become someone elses problem.
    He cares more about his legacy than the troops. Thats why he is willing to keep them in harms way in a war that has already been lost. This problem has no military solution. Hes simply buying time until hes out of office. The man is truly a coward

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius]You got that backwards[/QUOTE]

yup sorry my mistake

either way it's a fargin mess

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]I agree.
    His time table is wait until im out of office so it can become someone elses problem.
    He cares more about his legacy than the troops. Thats why he is willing to keep them in harms way in a war that has already been lost. This problem has no military solution. Hes simply buying time until hes out of office. The man is truly a coward[/QUOTE]

I really cant agree with you. He has stated this position from the beginning. It has never changed unlike the Democrats who change position like the wind changes direction!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan]I really cant agree with you. He has stated this position from the beginning. It has never changed unlike the Democrats who change position like the wind changes direction![/QUOTE]

He believes in this war and will noot change position regarless of the reality b/c he does not want to be labled a failure.

BTW, not all Dems changed their position. There were quite a few who have been against this war from day 1.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A vast majority voted for the funding. Now they changed because of public opinion. Mostly because of moveon.org.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]I agree.
    He cares more about his legacy than the troops. Thats why he is willing to keep them in harms way in a war that has already been lost. This problem has no military solution. Hes simply buying time until hes out of office. The man is truly a coward[/QUOTE]
    Oh the "he's dumb and doesn't care about our troops" speech?

Second only to the "they went to Iraq with no plan whatsoever" speech.

You can get a more honest debate in your average third grade class ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper]
    You can get a more honest debate in your average third grade class ...[/QUOTE]

hey Piper the proof is in the pudding

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]hey Piper the proof is in the pudding[/QUOTE]
    Whose pudding, moveon.org's? When everyone believes and agrees with you, "proof is in the pudding" might mean something. But that isn't nearly the case. When your master, Sen. Reid, hopped on the soapbox to announce that we lost, that all was lost (everything you say) he was hooted down by Republicans, Democrats, the public, and, most of all the military. You espouse the views of a bitter stinking onion, bitonti, and it's not carrying the weight it did only three months ago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper]Oh the "he's dumb and doesn't care about our troops" speech?

Second only to the "they went to Iraq with no plan whatsoever" speech.

You can get a more honest debate in your average third grade class ...[/QUOTE]

As opposed to the classic:

"your emboldening the enemies" speach
    or
    "if we leave they will attack us here" speach
    or
    "if we set a deadline, the enemy will wait until that date to attack" speach :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]Whose pudding, moveon.org's? When everyone believes and agrees with you, "proof is in the pudding" might mean something. But that isn't nearly the case. When your master, Sen. Reid, hopped on the soapbox to announce that we lost, that all was lost (everything you say) he was hooted down by Republicans, Democrats, the public, and, most of all the military. You espouse the views of a bitter stinking onion, bitonti, and it's not carrying the weight it did only three months ago.[/QUOTE]

Actually NOBODY hooted him down.
    If you make such a statement please provide a source backing your claim up