Thread: Study of N.B.A. Sees Racial Bias in Calling Fouls

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Study of N.B.A. Sees Racial Bias in Calling Fouls

Never thought that I would see the day where the NBA was called out for being racially biased against blacks.

An academic study of the National Basketball Association, whose playoffs continue tonight, suggests that a racial bias found in other parts of American society has existed on the basketball court as well.
    Commissioner David Stern says a league study demonstrates “there is no bias.”
    A coming paper by a University of Pennsylvania professor and a Cornell University graduate student says that, during the 13 seasons from 1991 through 2004, white referees called fouls at a greater rate against black players than against white players.

Justin Wolfers, an assistant professor of business and public policy at the Wharton School, and Joseph Price, a Cornell graduate student in economics, found a corresponding bias in which black officials called fouls more frequently against white players, though that tendency was not as strong. They went on to claim that the different rates at which fouls are called “is large enough that the probability of a team winning is noticeably affected by the racial composition of the refereeing crew assigned to the game.”

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/02/sports/basketball/02refs.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Trading-card discrimination too??

[QUOTE]This research examines consumer discrimination in the NBA trading-card market. Using a sample of 298 NBA trading cards for the 1991-92 season, we find that race does not affect whether a trading cards sell above the common-player price. This is consistent with previous research on NBA trading cards. However, it was found that among players with common-player priced cards (average players), blacks out perform whites in points-per-game and assists-per-game. Further research is needed to see if black-white performance differences are related to discrimination in entry or retention in the NBA.
    [/QUOTE]

[url=http://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No1/philips_broyles.asp] source [/url]

Never fear--easy solution to foul discrimination. Since over 80% of players are black, then 80% of the referee crew should be black. Since you can't have 2.4 of 3 refs black, either go with 3 black refs or go to 4 refs with 3 black and 1 white. Would the fairest crew be 3 black female refs?

Malcolm Muggeridge was right--"We have educated ourselves into imbecility"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will black players [I]ever [/I] prosper in the NBA?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Will black players [I]ever [/I] prosper in the NBA?[/QUOTE]
    Not as long as [B]THE MAN[/B] is out to get them!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next study: NBA reveals bias regarding slam dunk participants

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so i didn't read the link

will it say that refs are calling more fouls on white dudes? what sort of racism is going on here? both ways?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]so i didn't read the link

will it say that refs are calling more fouls on white dudes? what sort of racism is going on here? both ways?[/QUOTE]
    It says white refs call more fouls on black than white players. Black refs call a higher proportion on white players than black, but not as high as white refs to black players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio]It says white refs call more fouls on black than white players. Black refs call a higher proportion on white players than black, but not as high as white refs to black players.[/QUOTE]
    They probably hand Yao Ming his first personal during warm ups.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the NHL has the same problem with white refs calling more penalties on its black players than black refs call on its white players.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect112row36]I wonder if the NHL has the same problem with white refs calling more penalties on its black players than black refs call on its white players.[/QUOTE]
    Are there any black refs in the NHL?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect112row36]I wonder if the NHL has the same problem with white refs calling more penalties on its black players than black refs call on its white players.[/QUOTE]

aren't there only like 4 black players in the NHL?