Thread: Any youngsters pissed off at the stock market?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Any youngsters pissed off at the stock market?

Ever since I got into the market a few years ago, it (for the most part) has not stopped going up. Most people would be happy about this - but I cannot buy stocks on the cheap.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]Ever since I got into the market a few years ago, it (for the most part) has not stopped going up. Most people would be happy about this - but I cannot buy stocks on the cheap.[/QUOTE]

buy weekly and it'll average out...I just checked my MFS, which I rarely do....nice....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143518[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]buy weekly and it'll average out...I just checked my MFS, which I rarely do....nice....[/QUOTE]

Well, I do through the 401K.. even still, it just keeps going up. A bear market.. hell even a flat market would be nice for us kids.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeez. Be careful for what you wish for.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]Jeez. Be careful for what you wish for.[/QUOTE]

agreed....we know who to blame.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]Jeez. Be careful for what you wish for.[/QUOTE]
    Not wishing for a depression but the market is pretty depressing for an investor starting out

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]Not wishing for a depression but the market is pretty depressing for an investor starting out[/QUOTE]
    No, it's not. Maybe you should start watching some Cramer. Read [I]Reminiscences of a Stock Operator[/I], by Edwin Lefevre. Actually everyone should read that book, it's an enjoyable read about market psychology and it was written 80 years. The actual securities he traded are far enough removed that they don't distract - it's all the psychology. Don't take tips. Learn from mistakes. Don't fight markets. All great stuff.

Do you work in Wall Street? (Does anyone anymore? - what the f--k happened there, fellas?)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]No, it's not. Maybe you should start watching some Cramer. Read [I]Reminiscences of a Stock Operator[/I], by Edwin Lefevre. Actually everyone should read that book, it's an enjoyable read about market psychology and it was written 80 years. The actual securities he traded are far enough removed that they don't distract - it's all the psychology. Don't take tips. Learn from mistakes. Don't fight markets. All great stuff.

Do you work in Wall Street? (Does anyone anymore? - what the f--k happened there, fellas?)[/QUOTE]

No, I don't. And I invest in indexes so it is depressing that I keep buying at higher and higher prices

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    buy options, they are far cheaper :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]buy options, they are far cheaper :D[/QUOTE]

Not to mention far more dangerous. I wouldn't recommend options unless you are actively trading stocks and know something about technical and fundamental analysis in relation to stocks. You do have a point though that if you 'get lucky' with an option you are likely to make a load of money.

Stock prices have gone up and up because of the US Fed's monetary policy, namely actively inflating the US economy at a moderate level. They are effectively printing more and more money and also keeping interest rates historically low, which means that it is easy to get easy money and invest it somewhere. The world is awash in a lot of cash, mainly because of the US Fed, this cash has to find a home, and stock markets is one of the places where this money goes thus driving up prices. There are a lot of petro-dollars in the US markets as well which is adding to the upward pressure.

Will it last forever? No. What about for the medium term? Can't see why not, with a few bumps here and there besides. The few bumps will come in the form of credit squeezes put on by a big central bank like the US Fed. If a big credit squeeze happens the prices will fall out of the sky extremely rapidly.

By the way, a lot of stocks are fundamentally cheap on the US markets; I can't comment on technical indicators for the DOW because I don't have my software handy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not buy just Exxon and Haliburton- after all they have the government in their hip pocket. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Black Death]Not to mention far more dangerous.[/QUOTE]

agreed im just sayin. What i like about options is you don't feel committed to anything. There's no situation where you buy in for a sizeable amount the stock goes down and you have to wait to sell. The option either appreciates or it doesn't. There's no committment issues.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]agreed im just sayin. What i like about options is you don't feel committed to anything. There's no situation where you buy in for a sizeable amount the stock goes down and you have to wait to sell. The option either appreciates or it doesn't. There's no committment issues.[/QUOTE]

of course there's always that money down the drain issue with opitions if you don't know what your doing- but that's besides the point....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    well yeah but you can also lose the money in stocks if you don't know what you are doing. More risk, more reward. Put it another way you can spend 10k buying stock, the thing goes down you lose 1k instantly you can also buy the option for 500 bucks if it goes down you lose all your investment but it's only 500 bucks. Also note you can play options on things like the S&P 500, the dowJones avg, the dollar, the price of gold, heck even the temperature in rio de janiero. yes you need to be smart, yes you need to learn about black-scholes and probably have some research on hand but it's not undoable. the original poster was discouraged about the price of stocks, I was providing an alternative, that is all.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]well yeah but you can also lose the money in stocks if you don't know what you are doing. More risk, more reward. Put it another way you can spend 10k buying stock, the thing goes down you lose 1k instantly you can also buy the option for 500 bucks if it goes down you lose all your investment but it's only 500 bucks. Also note you can play options on things like the S&P 500, the dowJones avg, the dollar, the price of gold, heck even the temperature in rio de janiero. yes you need to be smart, yes you need to learn about black-scholes and probably have some research on hand but it's not undoable. the original poster was discouraged about the price of stocks, I was providing an alternative, that is all.[/QUOTE]

you can put $1000 into one stock today...if it is worth $500 in two years you can hold it for another decade and it could be worth twice what you paid....

there is a time element with options...I've traded them...lost and won big...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]of course there's always that money down the drain issue with opitions if you don't know what your doing- but that's besides the point....[/QUOTE]

Well that certainly pertains to any and all investment in the stock market.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]you can put $1000 into one stock today...if it is worth $500 in two years you can hold it for another decade and it could be worth twice what you paid....

there is a time element with options...I've traded them...lost and won big...[/QUOTE]

It all depends on when you want to or have to cash in. The stock mantra is to hold onto stocks if they are not doing well and ride it out but if you have been doing that for years and want to retire it is not an option, or if you have decided you want to buy that nice big fishing boat. It's all a matter of timing, stocks and money do you no good if you are in the ground, though investment councellors don't mind. :D