Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Republican Debate

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

First Republican Debate

Did anyone watch the first Republican Debate last night?

I missed the first 20 mins and the last 20 mins thanks to the kiddies having a rough night, but I got most of it on the TIVO.

From what I saw though, I was a little disappointed in Guliani. I thought he spent too much of his time "dodging" the abortion issue. It wasn't until he was pressed that he finally got it out. I don't necessarily disagree with his stance, he think he just needs to "own" his position better.

Romney was exceptional. He is a definitive statesman. Very well spoken and clearly understood and "owned" his positions without hedging, dodging or ducking.

McCain was pretty good as well... although he sounded much like a used car salesman at times, he fully understands the subject matter and clearly has a plan to implement. Definately the most "ready" candidate of the bunch.

I will try and comment more on the others later, once I have the ability to watch the rest of the debate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ron Paul wants to abolish the IRS.

Now THAT'S the best idea I have heard from any politician in a long long time...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quite of few of them made similar remarks... flat tax, abolishing the tax code as it exists. Mostly due the costs of involved with people having to pay to have their taxes done.

As nice as it sounds, I am sure there is a huge tax preparers lobby that will do everything in their power ($$$) to make sure the tax code stays as clugy as possible.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]Quite of few of them made similar remarks... flat tax, abolishing the tax code as it exists. Mostly due the costs of involved with people having to pay to have their taxes done.

As nice as it sounds, I am sure there is a huge tax preparers lobby that will do everything in their power ($$$) to make sure the tax code stays as clugy as possible.[/QUOTE]

not to mention everyone with a mortgage.

I only saw the last 15 minutes and I thought Mr Hardball (drawing a blank on his name) was bullying everyone and ie nothing was said.

I hope to catch a re-run

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There were revealing moments that went past the well-rehearsed lines by all the candidates. Three of the candidates Mr. Huckabee, Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas and Representative Tom Tancredo of Colorado raised their hands to signal that they did not believe in evolution.

[URL=http://]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/04/us/politics/04repubs.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster]There were revealing moments that went past the well-rehearsed lines by all the candidates. Three of the candidates Mr. Huckabee, Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas and Representative Tom Tancredo of Colorado raised their hands to signal that they did not believe in evolution.

[URL=http://]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/04/us/politics/04repubs.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin[/URL][/QUOTE]

That was quite a moment, and it went by too quickly. That question alone very well may cause those candidates ANY shot at moderates. However, you will see much of the Christian Right praising their honesty.

Hard to determine how it will play out yet.

By-the-way, the whole dang debate seemed like a bad version of who's line is it anyway. Horrible moderating. Probably due to being so darn many people up there. Hopefully the next one will be down to half as many candidates.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]Quite of few of them made similar remarks... flat tax, abolishing the tax code as it exists. Mostly due the costs of involved with people having to pay to have their taxes done...[/QUOTE]

No more IRS...

No more IRS...

No more IRS...

[QUOTE]
    The idea seems radical, yet in truth [B]America did just fine without a federal income tax for the first 126 years of her history[/B]. Prior to 1913, the government operated with revenues raised through tariffs, excise taxes, and property taxes, [B]without ever touching a worker's paycheck[/B]. Even today, individual income taxes account for only approximately one-third of federal revenue. [B]Eliminating one-third of the proposed 2007 budget would still leave federal spending at roughly $1.8 trillion-- a sum greater than the budget just 6 years ago in 2000[/B]! Does anyone seriously believe we could not find ways to cut spending back to 2000 levels? Perhaps the idea of an America without an income tax is not so radical after all.[/QUOTE]
    [url]http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2006/tst041006.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Ron_Paul_Tax_Reform.htm[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. I thought Romeny carried himself very well. Looked very presidential.
    2. McCain was actually not too bad, except for that maniacal grin he often flashed at inappropriate times.
    3. Guiliani was a joke. He looked so out of place when discussing his liberal stance on social issues and then again rehashed the same phony "Im strong on terrorism" talking points. I cant wait till someone calls him out on this

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]1. I thought Romeny carried himself very well. Looked very presidential.
    2. McCain was actually not too bad, except for that maniacal grin he often flashed at inappropriate times.
    3. Guiliani was a joke. He looked so out of place when discussing his liberal stance on social issues and then again rehashed the same phony "Im strong on terrorism" talking points. I cant wait till someone calls him out on this[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah romney's got a good shot

everyone loves a cultist

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]yeah romney's got a good shot

everyone loves a cultist[/QUOTE]

no more so than a wahabi turned false Christian....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]No more IRS...

No more IRS...

No more IRS...

[url]http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2006/tst041006.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Ron_Paul_Tax_Reform.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

what would the clinton's use to attack their enemies then??

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]yeah romney's got a good shot

everyone loves a cultist[/QUOTE]

Little known fact:

Harry Reid is a Mormon... But the criminal liberal media never mentions it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan]Little known fact:

Harry Reid is a Mormon... But the criminal liberal media never mentions it.[/QUOTE]

you expect the liberal media to drag madame reid through the mud for that the way they did George Allen for being a Jew??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    did anyone else catch they asked Paul Thompson if it was ok for a company to fire a person solely because he was gay - he said yes at the debate, this morning he's on CNN saying that he meant to say no. what a flip flopper.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]no more so than a wahabi turned false Christian....[/QUOTE]

who are you talking about?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]who are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

hussien obama...

[IMG]http://www.iowapresidentialwatch.com/images/cartoons/EmptySuit-Md.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 05-04-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]hussien obama of course....[/QUOTE]

so do you believe he is a deep muslim terrorist sleeper??

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]so do you believe he is a deep muslim terrorist sleeper??[/QUOTE]

wtf are you talking about???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]wtf are you talking about???[/QUOTE]

im just wondering if you believe Obama is a terrorist.