Thread: Overlawyered??

Overlawyered??

[QUOTE]Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Gisela Cardonne Ely was shocked. She had just watched a videotape of a medical malpractice plaintiff, who claimed in 2004 that she was permanently paralyzed, walking down the street with the use of a cane in 2005.

"This is the worst case of misrepresentation, of outright fraud, that I have ever had in 22 years," Cardonne Ely said during a March 15 hearing in the case of Wanda Davis-Johnson. "I'm telling you, Mrs. Davis, I'm looking at you in the eyes. I am dismissing your case. I have seen enough. ... I'm making a specific finding that there was a scheme to defraud the court."

The woman's attorney, of course, claims to be just as surprised as the judge. Meanwhile, [b]the vindicated defendant hospital "will be seeking to recover $225,000 in legal costs from Davis-Johnson," but one suspects that the odds of ever collecting that are somewhere between none and less than none.[/b][/QUOTE]
    [url=http://www.overlawyered.com/2007/04/walk_away.html] source [/url]

That's one of the changes we need to our tort system: if the plaintiff loses, he/she/it pays the legal fees of the defendent.

Davis-Johnson needs to pay--even if it's $100/mo the rest of her life

Same with the nut-job who accused the Duke guys of rape, although that PA should also help pay for their legal costs.

Opinions??

It won't make too much of a difference, to be quite honest. In theroy it is a great idea, but the threat of a law suit leads to eventual settlements regardless of the claim.

[QUOTE=mallamalla]It won't make too much of a difference, to be quite honest. In theroy it is a great idea, but the threat of a law suit leads to eventual settlements regardless of the claim.[/QUOTE]

It's actually a terrible idea, since that would effectively bar all but the richest of plaintiffs from the courts.

And I say this as a lawyer who is more often than not on the defense side, and who has actually had a case where a plaintiff testified to a supposed assault by store employees only to have videotape show something very very different.

[QUOTE=doggin94it]It's actually a terrible idea, since that would effectively bar all but the richest of plaintiffs from the courts.
    [/QUOTE]

Why?--if the plaintiff is truly wronged and has a good case they'll win! Making the loser pay would make lawyers think twice about taking a stupid, frivolous case--like $67 mill for lost pants or that stupid woman who sued McD's b/c she spilled hot coffee and burned herself.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=asuusa]Why?--if the plaintiff is truly wronged and has a good case they'll win! Making the loser pay would make lawyers think twice about taking a stupid, frivolous case--like $67 mill for lost pants or that stupid woman who sued McD's b/c she spilled hot coffee and burned herself.[/QUOTE]

McDonald's screwed themselves in that case. That lady wasn't the first person to sue them for third degree burns from coffee. McDonald's settled out of court with a lot of other people...they should have done the same here. The lady offered to settle for 20 grand, but they offered her 800 bucks.

Don't get me wrong. I think suing because of hot coffee is retarded. Coffee is supposed to be hot. But when you sell a billion cups of coffee a day, 20,000 wouldn't have put a dent in your coffee income for one day. They should have just cut their losses and banked on the fact that 99% of people like their coffee hot and won't sue if they are unlucky enough to spill it in their crotch...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If the lawyer was aware of it, he/she should be disbarred.