Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the hell do you expect?!?!?!

Banned

What the hell do you expect?!?!?!

I can't even believe how some Yankee fans (which I myself am...) get upset when the haters start chomping after they give clemens a 28 million dollar 1 year deal!

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT?!?!?!

Are you gonna sit there and pretend like its not a desperate and terribly non-economical signing? Look, if you want to be happy that a hall of fame pitcher is coming back to town and can possibly put your yankees over the top, by all means. But are gonna pretend that theres not even a remote possibility that clemens will suck, or be avg. at best and that 28 mill might as well have been flushed down the toilet?

Screamin A on 1050 is goin on and on about how "classless" this deal is because Clemens doesn't follow the team around. Frankly, I really don't think thats an issue, nor do I think it has anything to do with class. What people SHOULD be up in arms about is that Clemens is far from a garauntee at this point.

If he comes back and pitches an under 4 ERA and helps em out in the playoffs...then perhaps I will stand corrected. But the very fact that he may NOT achieve those goals is the reason why this deal should create such an uproar.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JTpenny
    I can't even believe how some Yankee fans (which I myself am...) get upset when the haters start chomping after they give clemens a 28 million dollar 1 year deal!

Are you gonna sit there and pretend like its not a desperate and terribly non-economical signing? Look, if you want to be happy that a hall of fame pitcher is coming back to town and can possibly put your yankees over the top, by all means. But are gonna pretend that theres not even a remote possibility that clemens will suck, or be avg. at best and that 28 mill might as well have been flushed down the toilet?

Screamin A on 1050 is goin on and on about how "classless" this deal is because Clemens doesn't follow the team around. Frankly, I really don't think thats an issue, nor do I think it has anything to do with class. What people SHOULD be up in arms about is that Clemens is far from a garauntee at this point.

If he comes back and pitches an under 4 ERA and helps em out in the playoffs...then perhaps I will stand corrected. But the very fact that he may NOT achieve those goals is the reason why this deal should create such an uproar.
    Thank you jesus, a rational Yankee fan for once. I dont think he'll be awful, but i'd be surprised if posts anything under a 4 ERA.

JetsFan2012

Here's my big concern... Clemens may be absolutely awesome through 5 or 6 innings, but can he really last longer than that at his age? The biggest problem right now is Torre resorting to the bullpen too often. Proctor isn't going to have an arm come September. Clemens isn't going to solve that.

All League
    I'm a met fan and can't condemn the Yanks. At least they try to get better. If it works great and if doesn't it's only money.

Our owner and GM should grow some cohones and get us a front line pitcher...

Whose getting upset that the haters are "chomping?" It's exactly what I expected, and i completely understand it.

Injuries caused the Yankees to be desperate. I think he'll be a big improvement over Igawa/Rasner/Wright/DeSalvo/Karstens. It would be very shocking if Clemens "sucks." It would be surprising if Clemens is "average" too. Considering he has a career ERA+ of 144 and he's been better than that in each of the last 3 years. The reason for that is probably because he's been doing a great job limiting his HR's by never hanging the split fingered fastball and getting more grounders. Either way, if he's a bust, it's $18M wasted, not $28M, but I think the chances of him being a bust are quite remote.

I think he'll have an ERA under 4, and he should help the team in the playoffs. There's a chance that anyone you sign will not live up to expectations and the money will be wasted. The Mets may only get 1 year out of Pedro after signing him to a 4/$52M deal for example.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    Here's my big concern... Clemens may be absolutely awesome through 5 or 6 innings, but can he really last longer than that at his age? The biggest problem right now is Torre resorting to the bullpen too often. Proctor isn't going to have an arm come September. Clemens isn't going to solve that.
    Well, him going 5 or 6 innings is a lot better than the 3 or 4 innings we were getting from Igawa.

Banned
    By the way...something I just bought up in another thread...We can now say that the Yankees screwed up BIGTIME in not outbidding Boston for Matsuzaka...Originally, it seemed like it was a new and improved Yankees management deciding not to throw away a ton of money for one player...But after giving this kind of money to Clemens for 1 year!!! They might as well have put 60 mill on the table for the rights to negotiate with Dice-k!

Banned
    By the way...something I just bought up in another thread...We can now say that the Yankees screwed up BIGTIME in not outbidding Boston for Matsuzaka...Originally, it seemed like it was a new and improved Yankees management deciding not to throw away a ton of money for one player...But after giving this kind of money to Clemens for 1 year!!! They might as well have put 60 mill on the table for the rights to negotiate with Dice-k!
    Yup. Big time screw up. 100 Mill for a 6 year contract with Dice-K vs 30M for a one year contract with a 45 year old clemens.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ShutEmDownRevis
    Yup. Big time screw up. 100 Mill for a 6 year contract with Dice-K vs 30M for a one year contract with a 45 year old clemens.

Now it's up to $30M, huh? Before the week is over, you're going to be posting that Clemens's contract has reached $50 million per game.

Banned
    Thanks for your support, but as a met fan...your killing my integrity!!!

All Pro
    Now it's up to $30M, huh? Before the week is over, you're going to be posting that Clemens's contract has reached $50 million per game.
    Why not, he can't get any more wrong than he is now about the numbers.

JetsFan2012

Agreeing with Jermaine automatically kills your integrity. No offense.

It's $18.5M for 4 months of Clemens vs. $107M for 6 years of Dice-K. I like Dice-K and think he has good stuff, but he does have a 5.40 ERA so far this year.

For this year, I'd rather have Clemens. For the whole deal, I'd probably go with Dice-K, but he's a huge risk.

Banned
    It's ok to agree with a mets fan. We're usually right.

Banned
    Agreeing with Jermaine automatically kills your integrity. No offense.
    Well I'm not trying to hate or nething...but any arguement a non-fan makes will always be accused of being biased or narrow...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    It's $18.5M for 4 months of Clemens vs. $107M for 6 years of Dice-K. I like Dice-K and think he has good stuff, but he does have a 5.40 ERA so far this year.

For this year, I'd rather have Clemens. For the whole deal, I'd probably go with Dice-K, but he's a huge risk.
    I agree 100% with that. Dice-K has great stuff and i think he's going to put it together (unfortunately for us) Seeing his stuff, I think it still would be worth the investment for Dice-K that Boston made.

All Pro
    Well I'm not trying to hate or nething...but any arguement a non-fan makes will always be accused of being biased or narrow...
    Give us a little credit here...we are capable of having a debate about something. But when Jermaine clearly and obnoxiously is quoting misfact, it really reduces his credibility. It has nothing to do with him being a Mets fan. If he was a Yankees fan, i'd correct his lack of logic the same way.

Banned
    I don't care because they are the ****ing Yankees! Last time I checked money wasn't an issue. If it doesn't turn out well. Who cares seriously? Even if is this signing didn't happen people will complain about the payroll. By the way how the hell can the Mets or Red Soxs fans say anything about this. Your payroll is also 2x then the rest of the league.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    I don't care because they are ****ing Yankees! Last time I checked money wasn't an issue. If it doesn't turn out well. Who cares seriously? Even is this signing didn't people will ***** the payroll. But that is NOT our problem. BTW how the hell can the Mets or Red Sox fans saything about this. Your payroll is also 2x the rest of the league.
    umm... no? 100 Mill is not 2x the rest of the league.

However 215 is more than 2x the rest of the league.

Banned
    umm... no? 100 Mill is not 2x the rest of the league.

However 215 is more than 2x the rest of the league.

I believe they more then doubled a few teams on there.

2007 PAYROLL

TEAM PAYROLL (US$)

1. NY Yankees 195,229,045
    2. Boston 143,123,714
    3. NY Mets 116,115,819
    4. Chicago Sox 109,290,167
    5. LA Angels 109,251,333
    6. LA Dodgers 108,704,524
    7. Seattle 106,516,833
    8. Chicago Cubs 99,936,999
    9. Detroit 95,180,369
    10. Baltimore 95,107,808
    11. San Francisco 90,469,056
    12. St. Louis 90,286,823
    13. Atlanta 89,492,685
    14. Philadelphia 89,368,213
    15. Houston 87,759,500
    16. Oakland 79,938,369
    17. Toronto 79,925,600
    18. Milwaukee 71,986,500
    19. Minnesota 71,439,500
    20. Cincinnati 69,654,980
    21. Texas 68,818,675
    22. Kansas City 67,366,500
    23. Cleveland 61,289,667
    24. San Diego 58,235,567
    25. Colorado 54,424,000
    26. Arizona 52,067,546
    27. Pittsburgh 38,604,500
    28. Washington 37,347,500
    29. Florida 30,507,000
    30. Tampa Bay 24,124,200

PS. Seriously go back to the whole you crawled out of.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-07-2007 at 04:16 PM.